Bad slave cylinder or clutch in SRT? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 06:20 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad slave cylinder or clutch in SRT?

Gentlemen,

I have an 2009 SRT8 with 28,000 miles on it. Recently, when I start my vehicle and put it into first or reverse, it begins to creep forward or backwards. Not sure if this is a a hydraulic or clutch issue. Also, it is hard to shift into first gear. Has anyone had this problem with their vehicle? As far as my drving habits, I chirp gears everyonce and awhile and occasionally smoke the tires.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick
Wellington, Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 12:10 PM

Mine was doing a similar thing and it has been successfully repaired.

Mine would hang up in first gear and it would also roll when the brake was released.

I was able to figure out two ways to make the transmisson hang up in first gear basily whenever I felt like it. One way was to stop the car on an uphill incline, shut it off, keep your foot on the brake, shift into first, let the clutch out and then let off the brake and allow the car to roll-back without the parking brake set. PRESTO, it would stick every time. It could also be made to happen by making an abrupt stop while in first gear and depressing the clutch when the engine was almost at a stall. The latter will not happen every time.

Being able to duplicate it for the service guys was a big bonus. They opened a case with Chrysler and Star told them that the discs were probably hanging up on the input shaft. They removed the transmission and the presssure plate/disc assembly from the car and cleand the splines on the input shaft and both discs. The original parts were then re-greased with Mopar grease #5083150AA and the original stuff was reassembled with 6 new pressure plate bolts #6508880AA, per the instructions from Chrysler. I had to work so I was not able to get a first hand look at the input shaft but the tech said that it was "sticky" with something.

It completely solved my problem and I have not been able to get it to stick when I park on my test-pad or when I jam on the brakes. It also seems that the 1-2 shift is improved but that may simply be the placebo effect.

Hope this helps.

D-
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Magnum, E5 red, black top, black bumblebee. 2009 Challenger SRT8, 6speed, sunroof, nav, MP Corsa, K&N CAI, one of those clear blue tuner thingys, a nasty door ding, bald rear tires, hops like a bunny , stripe-delete, PR3 cop-attracting-red and some Land Cruisers.
The Following User Says Thank You to cruiserdan For This Useful Post:
doughboy (05-16-2014)
Old 11-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
hard to say, as you stated in your OP, for sure some contact of the plates when clutch is in. I would only add that if major surgery is required, it would be a great time to consider some of the new and beefier clutch assemblies that have been mentioned in threads here before. I recall reading that there isn't much can be done to service the clutch slave cylinder unfortunately. good luck 28000 miles not too bad if you've been having some fun with it on a regular basis. Like to hear what you find out, bro.

2010 B5 SRT8
HHP/BES Mopar Aluminum NA 440ci stroker Stg5 camshft StgII heads and intake
Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by nseamster1 View Post
Gentlemen,

I have an 2009 SRT8 with 28,000 miles on it. Recently, when I start my vehicle and put it into first or reverse, it begins to creep forward or backwards. Not sure if this is a a hydraulic or clutch issue. Also, it is hard to shift into first gear. Has anyone had this problem with their vehicle? As far as my drving habits, I chirp gears everyonce and awhile and occasionally smoke the tires.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick
Wellington, Florida
That would be a hydraulics issue... should have nothing to do with any driving you did.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:05 PM

Thanks for all of your input. I hope it a hydraulic issue rather than needing a new clutch. I hope Dodge honors its warranty.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
don't know the warranty per se but I would defo expect a hydraulic clutch issue would be on the to do list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.