Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Better read the fine print if buying one of the Scat Pack Stages

5K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  oldhp 
#1 ·
...noticed this while at the Mopar Mega Block Party last night in Reading, PA

The first picture shows the official Mopar trailer and display;

The second picture shows a close up of the fine print disclaimer underneath the ala carte menu for the Scat Pack 2 Performance package on the aforementioned display:

"...IMPORTANT NOTICE: Upon installation of this package on a vehicle originally emission certified for use on streets or highways, it is illegal as a violation of the federal Clean Air Act to operate such a vehicle on a street or highway, and doing so potentially subjects the operator and the installer to civil penalties of up to $37,500 per day, per vehicle, depending on the circumstances."

It strikes me that an aftermarket vendor who engages in selling products that directly or indirectly involves the PCM or parts/systems tied to emissions, could use this as a defense if (when?) FCA tries to bend the Clean Air Act and sue them, or issue an injunction, to stop jail breaking the PCM or tuning the vehicles...

...of course, this would still work for FCA with its efforts to shut down tuning under the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). :deadhorse:

But, for those of you purchasing, or thinking of purchasing the second or third Scat Pack Performance stages, the devil is in the fine print.

Or, to borrow from Dodge's own commercial from 2014...

If You Know, You Know

See less See more
#5 ·
I had a similar experience the other day. I was looking at a Diablo Sport tuner. It would require a modified PCM for my car. It clearly stated in it's disclaimer that the vehicle can't be registered or used on the streets. It's for racing only. So that kinda stopped me in my tracks. Would a modified PCM throw any codes? I do have to have my emissions inspection every 2 years.

#7 ·
Much as California does now, the test is not a tailpipe test. They connect to the OBD port and test that way. An aftermarket PCM would fail I'd think.

About the MD Inspection Program

MD emissions testing consists of a gas cap test, an on-board diagnostics (OBD) test, or an idle tailpipe test.
Gas Cap Test

All vehicles are subject to a gas cap test unless the OBD test is used to determine fuel emissions output.
On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Test

OBD tests connect emissions testing equipment to the vehicle's computer system to determine whether the vehicle's emissions components are working properly.

The following vehicles undergo OBD testing:

Passenger cars and light-duty trucks model year 1996 and newer.

Heavy-duty trucks that:

Are model year 2008 and newer.
AND

Weigh up to 14,000 lbs.

A Guy

#9 ·
Yes, and if the headers do not have an issued CARB number (with sticker posted next to OE emissions label), the vehicle will fail the "Other Emissions Related Components" part of the visual inspection. Reference pages 12 and 15 of the document in the link below.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/DRAFT Smog Check Manual web.pdf

Pg 12 specifics:

"If the vehicle is equipped with parts that modify the original emissions control configuration, inspectors must verify whether those parts are CARB approved or exempted. If the installed parts are not CARB approved or exempted, and the original emissions control configuration has been modified, the corresponding emissions controls are considered "Modified" and the vehicle shall fail the inspection."

Pg 15 specifics:

"The Other Emissions Related Components category encompasses emissions control systems that are required by the vehicle manufacturer but not otherwise addressed in the visual inspection menu. Other emissions components include: Add-on Aftermarket Parts, Cylinder Heads, Exhaust Manifolds, Intake Manifolds, Superchargers, Thermal Reactors, Timing Gears and Pulleys, Turbochargers, Ozone Reducing Radiators. If a vehicle fails the Other Emissions Component Related components category of the visual inspection, inspectors must document, on the VIR, what emission system failed."

Reference the following link to determine if you headers have an issued CARB number:

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

#12 ·
this goes back to owners removing cats, or taking off downpipe and using a rod or drift to break out the catalyst and reinstall a stock appearing down pipe that no longer had a catalyst element to try and get past emissions inspections (visual check).

Others were trying to block out OBD systems from not showing error codes (rear O2 sensors) or not O2 readouts at all...

It was going to be a matter of time that the regulations would clamp down even more on this - and now the tuning aftermarket is becoming the target.

Been seeing the trend for the past 20 years and now its catching up.

The were some gross offenders that brought this on, and now everyone gets to face the consequences now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.