Can you drive without the FOB once car is started? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Can you drive without the FOB once car is started?

My wifes Jeep Patriot has remote start, so i start the car and to enter I have to unlock the car, put the key in the ignition and turn the key to get the car out of park, other wise the car wont move.

Now I have a 2010 challenger with a 6 speed, while i know I cant remote start it. Every morning in the winter i have the fob in my pocket go out to the car and start it, then go in the house for 10-15 minutes while it warms up.

Question, if I left the fob in the house could i drive the car since its already started, and if so, how far? Would the car shut down since the fob is not detected?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Garage
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If I remember correct this actually happened to a member and when he turned the car off he was stranded...

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I may keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! - Amen!!!!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I believe you can drive it as far as you can go but once you turn it off, that's it.

On the new 2011's, I believe the key fob will have the ability to kill the engine. So, if you're warming up your car or getting gas and someone hops in and begins driving away, you can kill the engine to stop him.

#4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 AM

I don't know exactly how the Challenger key system works buy my SRT-4 has a transponder key. If I go out and warm up the car it won't let me lock the car manually but I can lock the doors if I take the FOB and use it to lock the doors. The FOB does not have any smarts, just the transponder key. I can go and open the car with the FOB and leave it home as long as the receiver can read the transponder key all is well. In other words I don't need the FOB just the Key.

If someone tries to steal the car with just a harware key the car will shut down after 2 seconds. You have to go to a dealer with the key codes or VIN # to get a new transponder key made.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I know if you remote start it the engine shuts off in 10 min. and when the FOB isn't in between the doors warning comes up that the FOB isn't there (something like that) and I've heard that that starts a timer and the engine would shut off but have never tried it.

#6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've sat in my 6-speed SRT and started it up, then took the key in the house while the car warmed up for about 5 minutes. It never shut off.

Tom

2010 PCP Challenger SRT8 6-speed
Hurst shifter | LockPick with front/rear cameras | Custom Badges | Mud Flaps | Sequential Tail-lights | Eibach Pro springs | JET 180 degree thermostat | Predator tuner | AAC purple Halos and grill LEDs | Meisterschaft midpipe/cat-back exhaust | AAC purple interior LED strips

2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 "Yellow Fever #285"
Too many mods to list...
#7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRacer View Post
I've sat in my 6-speed SRT and started it up, then took the key in the house while the car warmed up for about 5 minutes. It never shut off.
I would think they would use the same timer as the remote start and that's 10 min. but never tried it and my cars not here right now to find out.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 AM

I set at my breakfast table enjoying a last cup of coffee. Remote start the car in my garage,remote opening the garage door, to let the exhaust out while car is warming, go shave dress and ready to go to work. The car is warmed up and ready to take me. You gotta love it.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 AM

Last summer I started my car drove it without the FOB for a few hours (never turning it off) and never had an issue.
If you are driving around without the FOB and you shut it down you will never get it re-started without that FOB.
There was never a "timed out" to shut it down.

Orange, 09 SRT, Loaded 6 speed
#10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

The car will run until you turn it off. They do that so you won't crash if your fob battery dies on you. I guess they don't want the car to shut down on the highway at 70.

Of course you have a 50% chance that it died on your way *to* somewhere versus on your way home, so you'd still be stuck, but not (potentially and legally) dead.

BTW, this is an interesting article on how some researchers took advantage of that fact...

How Hackers Can Use Smart Keys To Steal Cars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode