Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Catch Cans - I'm a Believer

35K views 143 replies 59 participants last post by  Retro09 
#1 · (Edited)

A 6.1L Heads without Catch Can at 36,000mi.
Background: (Another user) Pulled the intake off of a 2007 6.1L with 36000 miles. The engine has never had a catch can installed and as you can see there is a substantial oil build up. (reference the thread http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/why-you-need-catch-can-35448/)

A 6.1L Heads with a Catch Can at 62,800mi.
Background: (Mine) I've had a Catch Can on since about 21mi on this engine. I just broke 62,800mi. I was noticing buildup around the gaskets which pointed me to replacing them. In all, I'm a catch can believer.

Intake Manifold Without Catch Can @ 32,000mi

Intake Manifold With Catch Can @ 62,800mi.

Key things to point out is the oil pool at the bottom of the runners on the pics without and the differences between the buildup around the injector ports.

With every oil change, I have collected at least 1-2 oz in the catch can.

Can't speak this from a performance standpoint, but from a pure maintenance standpoint, I'm a believer.

See less See more
1 5
#2 ·
So glad I decided to get my Moroso catch can once I got my Predator. Very cool pics Razz, I had no idea that it made THAT much of a difference. Lots of skeptics on here. I always thought having a catch can made a lot of sense. :bigthumb:

#3 ·
Ports don't make much difference, there isn't really enough buildup to affect flow much, let's see the backside of the intake valve, that's what is important.

#7 · (Edited)
Without Catch Can @ 32,000mi

With Catch Can @ 62,800mi.

Key things to point out is the oil pool at the bottom of the runners on the pics without and the differences between the buildup around the injector ports.

#5 · (Edited)
(sarcasm) Of course it's okay to keep all 16 spark plugs well oiled for better overall performance... who wants clean plugs these days - lol. I have the Moroso can as well (see signature pic) and do a lot of low speed city/highway driving.

#9 · (Edited)
How many catch can threads do we need? Those who want them, buy them. Those who know we don't need them... don't ...enough already, these picture prove nothing.
*shrug* other than, the 32k mi heads/intake without catch can has more buildup and oil everywhere than the 62k mi heads/intake with catch can.

From purely a maintenance standpoint, I'd rather empty the catch can overtime at every oil change than have to pull my intake manifold off at 32k mi to clean the insides of it because of the oil buildup. The engine with a catch can keeps your intake tract cleaner for longer - based on the pictures provided, that's a proven fact.

The performance standpoint you can debate all you want and I really could care a less as there haven't been any facts showing how more or less oil in the intake tract affects performance on our engines.

What I do know is, based on my experience, regular maintenance and cleaning of the intake manifold is much easier and prolonged with a catch can than without.

#11 ·
Great pics Ray - very informative regarding the condition of the interior of the intake runners with and without a catch can.

Curios - I have been around performance engines for many years and most engine builders will be able to better discuss the benefits of porting and polishing the intake passages. From what I can see in the non-catch can intake the intake passages look pretty rough compared to the intake with the catch can. Not sure how much that effects air passage and/or performance but as already stated - I am happy to spend the $100 to keep things clean.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Oil deposits on the runner walls are a secondary effect. It certainly doesn't help airflow, but these pictures demonstrate that the factory PCV design is inadequate, and the primary negative effect is oil getting into the combustion process.

#17 · (Edited)
Oil deposits on the runner walls are a secondary effect. It certainly doesn't help airflow, but these pictures demonstrate that the factory PCV design is inadequate, and the primary negative effect is oil getting into the combustion process.
Actually, oil deposits on the runners could in fact help air flow as the oil deposits essentially smooth out the cast rough surfaces. That is why intakes are often ported and polished. These 6.1 intakes are horrible as far as smoothness.

Pictures of oily manifolds are hardly proof that these engines are going to function in anyway different than ones which are in your opinion, "cleaner". There still isn't any data to support that "theory".

I am however very happy you posted the pictures...I have been waiting to see what these manifolds look like with the bottom pan off, so thank you for taking the time to post them rayzazoo!

#15 ·
I think we need a poll:

do hemi's need a catch can?
do the 6 cyl need a catch can?
do we hemis need two catch cans?
are catch cans a marketing ploy?
does my chevy have a catch can?
does my chevy need a catch can?
how do i put the sucker on?
How the F*** do i empty the sucker?
if i have 2 catch cans do i need to empty both?
how often should i empty my catch can?
Can i reuse the oil in my catch can?
etc, etc,
Ha Ha thanks for the chance to post.

where can i get a catch can?

#20 ·
A 6.1L Heads without Catch Can at 36,000mi.
Background: (Another user) Pulled the intake off of a 2007 6.1L with 36000 miles. The engine has never had a catch can installed and as you can see there is a substantial oil build up. http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/why-you-need-catch-can-35448/

A 6.1L Heads with a Catch Can at 62,800mi.
Background: (Mine) I've had a Catch Can on since about 21mi on this engine. I just broke 62,800mi. I was noticing buildup around the gaskets which pointed me to replacing them. In all, I'm a catch can believer.

Intake Manifold Without Catch Can @ 32,000mi

Intake Manifold With Catch Can @ 62,800mi.

With every oil change, I have collected at least 1-2 oz in the catch can.

Can't speak this from a performance standpoint, but from a pure maintenance standpoint, I'm a believer.
everyone needs something to believe in.......:pillepalle:

#24 · (Edited)
Omaha - of course something failed. The by-pass oiled failed to lubricate the valve guides which resulted in premature valve wiggle

Duh.

LMAO

#44 · (Edited)
Me too...can't wait to see everyone's face when the truth about these marketing marvels finally comes out. People take it so personally...I have to laugh. So in the last CC thread we learned that under WOT there is little oil even passing through the PCV valve...so so much for knock retard when folks are using a single can. But I guess a picture of oil in an intake or the runners mean our engine will fail before one without, or performance will be significantly compromised. What a bunch of Lemmings...research? Perhaps all the followers should do a little more reading and a little less picture viewing.LOL

I do appreciate all the pictures people do take and send in, I think we will all learn more about these engines the more we see, so keep them coming. The photos rayzazoo included are awesome, a view we don't often see. I don't think anyone doubts the photos are real...or that catch cans collect and condense oil vapor. I as many, merely question the consequences of not buying one for a stock setup...that's all. Peace everyone and go Giants!

#29 ·
Thanks for the pictures. I have been debating adding a catch can, but these pictures are proof of the benefit (for me anyway). If anyone has rebuilt an engine, they understand the effect oil sludge can have on an engine.

#31 ·
I'm a firm believer in a catch can for boosted applications, as its a must have. I have one installed on the N/A Challenger now as well, if for nothing more than piece of mind.

Reactions: Richs 66
#32 ·
It's real simple.. Oil belongs in your oil pan, not in your intake ports, not on the top of your pistons and not inside your "otherwise" dry intake manifold. And if all it takes to keep the oil out of where it doesn't belong, is a catch can... Sign me up!

#33 ·
i have been thinking of getting one for a while now can anyone make any recommendations as to which one to get? i kind of like keeping everything in the mopar family, do they even make a catch can or should i go with one of the vendors? any suggestions are welcome!!!!!

#35 ·
Love the one I got from Speedlogix, very high quality item !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.