Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Challenger Abuse

28K views 190 replies 82 participants last post by  BEIST 
#1 ·
This poor guy has been sitting in the parking lot outside of my condo for months...and I mean MONTHS. It hasnt been driven, moved, or apparently breathed on by whoever owns it. I dont even think the pictures do justice as to how filthy and covered in bird crap this vehicle is.

It does have Nevada plates (Im in LA)...So, maybe the owner left the car here...either way this is just sad.

See less See more
#72 ·
Do This....

Hi Sarlacc. First let me say to everyone that has commented that is in, or has been in the military, thank you for what you do.

Second, do not wash the car.

Third, To avoid craigslist scams, fraudulent sales of stolen vehicles, police departments WILL tell you if a vehicle is stolen or not. They CAN'T give you the Registered Owner info, the Legal Owner Info or any other information from the registration. When you call the police, call whatever city the vehicle is parked in, and tell them that you believe there is a car that might be stolen. They will ask you for the License Plate Info. Also, if you can rub dirt off the window and see the last 4 digits of the vin#, they can confirm that the vin goes with the plate you give them.

If it IS stolen, they will come and tow it away and you will make a fellow CHALLY owner a happy camper.

If it isn't stolen, and it looks like it is on private property, the cops can't touch it. Unless it looks like evidence in a crime or something suspicious, like the trunk comment I read on this thread. Cops don't do private property tows. At least not in CA.

In California, it is the responsibility of the owner or the property it's sitting on, or management, security company, whatever, to have private property signs posted at least 24hrs in advance of towing any vehicle. That sign will have the police departments name and phone# on it, in case the owner comes back looking for the vehicle. For instance, in my complex if someone is parked in my parking stall in the secure garage, the security company has to leave it for 3 days after they tag it, to tow it away. So every company or property owner may have their own policy of how soon they call a tow company. But if it properly posted, only need 24hrs.

So, call tomorrow and make either the CHALLY owner happy or the people that park at parking lot, because you will free up a space. :eusa_dance:

Have a super day peeps!!

Michellee :pa:

#76 ·
Like I said, it's a repo. Registered owner has bugged-out. Hire a P.I. to run the plate ($50-$75). Contact lienholder and work your locate fee. If they demand you speak with the repo company, be careful. By necessity they are professional scammers and they'll get their unit and you will have nada to show for it. You might just hit the jackpot. Who knows?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#78 ·
Maybe he dumped it once he found out it couldn't be tuned and the new GT500 came out?

#84 ·
What's up? I want to see your car with the new stripes.
Great thread , A dirty car LOL.

I assume it's a SE, painted gas cap and no badge on hood.
The dude spent some money though. Dual tips , brakes, spoiler and all.

Are you going to any up coming events ?

#80 ·
Repo's don't last long sitting out in the open like that, I used to do repos and we'd snatch them quick if they were not on private property, behind a locked fence or in a locked garage. Now if he was going into default, and he parked it in the lot miles away from his house, without a tag on it, it could remain parked a long time without getting taken, the repo company isn't going to walk up to every black challenger and check the vin, they'll only do that for cars that look like they've been parked or abandoned but it has to be near the known residential or job location or they wouldn't know to look elsewhere.

I really doubt its a repo, a bank isn't going to let it just sit in a lot indefinitely, cars can be turned around fairly quick in the repo market. I'd be more apt to believe the owner was in the service, or in jail. Have you checked with the property manager to see if he knows? Its possible he is aware of why its stored there. If i found out it was a service member, i'd wash and wax it for him just because they deserve it.

#96 · (Edited)
As a former repossessor you know that certain clients will, from time to time, hire licensed private investigators to locate a unit that is well worth chasing down. It was my experience that by the time the debtor was in arrears on his note, he was well into his scam to con the lienholder. The credit application was now useless as he'd quit the employer, skipped out on the landlord and each one of his contacts was now covering for the debtor/skip.
We travelled as far as Brooklyn, NYC to recover cars that had all appearances of the SE that everyone is scratching their collective head over.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#83 ·
I agree 1000% ..... he needs to

#88 · (Edited)
I'm surprised for a SoCal location, it has not been picked up by a predatory towing operation sooner. Tow'ers are watering at the mouth to skate off with cars in parking complexes that don't even look abandoned to a degree such as that. ...depends greatly on the demeanor of the land owner/management, I suppose. As a final note to any apt dwellers out there, avoid any Arnel Management property like the plague. They brazenly contract a predatory towing service to specifically do just that. We're talking about going far beyond the usual fare of removing cars from red parking zones or cars parked in clear indication of ill-repair.

If that car was at where I used to live, it would have been "taken" long, long before the bird crap could even have a chance to build-up. The owner would not be able get it back when they did show up, too, as the fine for months of storage in "operations" such as I have cited would easily rival the value of the car itself. They pretty much have taken your car and challenge you to buy it back from them.

Don't believe such places exist?...believe it! This is an actual place...fantastic landscaping, but covering a remarkably seedy under belly that you could never begin to imagine:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/CA-Westminster-Cinnamon-Creek.html

#89 ·
biggest difference is I dont live in an apt complex. I live in a fairly closed community that has condos, townhomes, single family etc. There just happens to be a communal lot next to my building. We all have garages. I know this challenger is associated with one of the town homes.

#90 · (Edited)
I know...I just wanted to exploit a soap box moment. :p I did see a news report a while ago that these predatory towing operations have been known to extend their operations to street sides in genuine housing areas. That is where it all became tagged as a "predatory" operation, afaik. They were removing cars that nobody was even complaining about (private residences/private properties). What I'm trying to get at is that seedy environment of certain SoCal areas...if there is any way they can justify a tow to at least satisfy the local police, they will find a way to tow it. It's well beyond the more classic scenario of property owners just doing regular/reasonable management of their properties. That is where the flag has been set, as of when I left CA. As long as it is reported to the police as an impound, then it is legal. The police don't care if it was or wasn't a legitimate impound...just as long as it was reported to be put in a list. So the tow'ers have a wide range of discretion to do what they do and not be scrutinized. Some tows are perfectly legitimate and do general good for the locale. Others are just straight-up car thefts and shakedowns. The police make no distinction of either, as long as the mark is on "the list".

#91 ·
I know...I just wanted to exploit a soap box moment. :p I did see a news report a while ago that these predatory towing operations have been known to extend their operations to street sides in genuine housing areas. That is where it all became tagged as a "predatory" operation, afaik. They were removing cars that nobody was even complaining about (private residences/private properties).
Our parking lot is privately owned by our community so they aren't allowed to snipe around here.

Now the parking enforcement ******bags...they are here all the time hitting up the street parkers for the dumbest **** (parking too far from the curb, etc)

But predatory towing is really known to happen in hollywood more than anywhere else out here. And I stay out of hollywood as much as possible.

#92 · (Edited)
All I can say, be VERY careful if you visit a friend who lives in an apt complex. Your car can be taken on a dime, even if you thought you parked in a perfectly legit manner. The place I use to live at was legendary on that scam. What I'm trying to say is that it entirely makes no difference with the why's and where's and the realities of where you chose to park. Your explanations or assessments of the place you chose to park will mean diddly. The only thing that matters is, "You want your car back?...Pay this fee...end of story. Want to wait for a civil hearing?...we'll wait cuz you still aren't getting your car back. You're still paying for storage...heh-heh"...repeat as needed to fill the day with money.

#95 ·
Sounds like a good start. I wouldn't even be that broken-hearted if tow'ers that were spotted up to no good ended up missing...but I don't say that. :p If it feels like you are stealing cars (in the ways you have to conduct the operation), you probably are stealing cars.

#98 ·
This was a pretty suspenseful thread until it turned into a "Parking Wars Do & Don'ts!"

#99 ·
This poor guy has been sitting in the parking lot outside of my condo for months...and I mean MONTHS. It hasnt been driven, moved, or apparently breathed on by whoever owns it. I dont even think the pictures do justice as to how filthy and covered in bird crap this vehicle is.

It does have Nevada plates (Im in LA)...So, maybe the owner left the car here...either way this is just sad.

what the last 8 digits of the vin? i work at a dodge dealership and can run the vin and get the guys name...etc.

#100 ·
It really doesn't look abandoned either, our cars look like that a week after we wash them here in florida, during the spring when the pollen is falling. Just looks like it hasn't been washed in a while. I for one wouldn't want to be the one who reported it to the cops as an abandoned vehicle and find out later it was a soldier on deployment, creating one more hurdle for him when he returns.

#101 ·
He got a parking ticket...

#103 ·
I think this poor Challenger has fallen into the Great Pit of Carkoon.

#105 ·
If it is abaondoned, is there any way to claim it?? there is a mustang by my house that has been there forever. Im not a mustang guy, but a free one could make some money on the flip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.