Challenger in the snow? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have studded firestone winterforce tires on mine; the studs are worn a bit from too much highway use and a really mild almost snow free winter last year but they still help a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I personally do not drive mine in the snow, but I do know OmahaRumble has dirven his 6 speed R/T thru a few winters. He is running the bliztrac tires.

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness." Some of us may have crossed the line.

Mods:
Functional hood scoop, DRL's enabled, Charger intake tube, Solo Mach X cat-back exhaust, Diablo InTune, SX catch can, Sequential taillights, Pistol Grip shifter, Custom smoothed intake manifold, Custom built covers for coolant tank, fuse box, valve covers, and ABS.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 PM

Got stuck down by the barn today but it was my fault. I made it down there no prob but a pile of drifted snow was deceivingly deep (and maybe I was a little too confident..) and it snagged my rear tires as I was turning the car around. Dug some snow away from in front of the rears, turned traction control off and it pulled itself out just fine. Reversed out all the way back up to the main driveway like a tank.

I have a set of 18" Toyo Gsi5 snow tires on. I would not have gotten out without snow tires. Just don't get yourself into situations where you'll obviously sink in and get stuck. I was in about 8-10 inches of the white stuff that had drifted into the one spot, which had dirt footing underneath- so no traction. Oops..

That being said, they handle just fine on snowy pavement as long as you are light with your foot and have a good set of winter tires on. Seriously they make ALL the difference.

Last edited by shootdownthestars; 12-23-2012 at 03:52 PM.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 PM

Snow has been scarce in the Chicago area the last couple of years, but on the few days that I have driven my Challenger in the snow the car was great with 18" wheels and Blizzak tires. No skidding, no slipping, no getting stuck and no problems with traction so far. Road grippage(is that a word?) is top notch with these tires.

However the ride sucks. The snow tires are noisy, steering is clumsy, handling is not as good and there's definitely a difference in the way the car feels. Car feels more upright and like it's on rails, and you don't get that wide-track close-to-the-ground performance feel that you get with the stock wheels and tires.

Still.....I'll take the hassle of driving around with snow tires on for 3 months out of the year. Beats getting stuck in the snow, or skidding out and crashing the car.

2010 PCP Dodge Challenger RT Classic

"Beyond the Palace, Hemi powered drones scream down the boulevard......"
#15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 PM

I decided to throw out the stock SRT wheels and upgrade to 11" wide in the rear and run DWS conts... (DRY-WET-SNOW) I am running 295s. They plant all the torque from a stand still, even in 40f weather after warmed, I also have the added beauty of safely having those on the rears, and being able to deal with rain perfectly, it is now below freezing, so I can't say much for ice...as we haven't had any rain since it hit below, lol, snow I'm not worried about, the DWS's are designed to literally "cut" into it with the pattern, I highly recommend them if you can fit enough tread to compensate for the hard rubber, these plant far better than the 255 stock Goodyears I had and are the same price, yet 295s. Then again, stock 255 Good Year Supercar F1s, shifting out of 1st would swing the entire rear end out...275 NT05s didn't do that, and 295 DWS's which last 3-4x as long sure as hell don't.

You can see how it literally seperates snow\ice due to the tread pattern on the in the slim lines have teeth, but since it is 4-5x sizes up from the stock, crap good year F1s, which costed MORE than these in 295, and didn't plant nearly as well...yeah.

Last edited by Rpaulg87; 12-23-2012 at 06:48 PM.
#16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 PM

My Toyo GSi5 winters have next to zero road noise.. and other than feeling a little "soft" the ride is not compromised at all. Much better tread than most winter tires I've seen too..

I highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Surprise snow; I work 3rd and this greeted me in the AM, weatherman had said no snow.. Took about an hour to get home, I live 7 miles away. I overheated the ABS system trying to keep stability control on with the traction control off. This is a 6 speed R/T with track pack and those are the stock eagle F1's. I'm pretty sure the Diff clutch pack life was shortened severly.

Now I have firestone winterforces mounted on 18" cop steelies. Not studed because we don't get that much ice. Because I mounted these, we don't get snow anymore.... They are very easily overwhelmed by the power and weight of the car (obviously), so I have to drive nice to prevent them from grinding bald. Even though the cold air makes more power...They are noisy now too, but I'm not scared of getting stuck again.

Last edited by daytonaer; 12-23-2012 at 07:02 PM.
#18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 07:37 PM

It is my first year driving the Challenger in the snow, and we have only gotten one significant snowfall I had to drive through thus far. I am running Michellin snow tires mounted on the stock 18" wheels. Snow tires are a must.

My only other advice would be this: when you are taking off from a complete stop (red light, stop sign, etc.), start in second gear as opposed to first. Whenever I try starting in first, there is just too much torque and I can't get traction. Using the paddle shifter to start in second gear makes it much easier to get going.
#19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 PM

I live in MN and drive mine daily to work. I'm running the stock Michelin all season's, and it worked fine for the foot of snow plus layer of ice underneath we got. I was more concerned over my suspension than anything else due to the rugged ice on the road for a couple days.

I did see a rustang get stuck in the same spot I was able to make it through just before it. I've got the stick with the anti spin diff. I think the diff is more important than snow tires. But then again I drive highway 6 miles go work on flat straight ground.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aukutsutsu For This Useful Post:
goat612 (12-25-2012)
#20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Im driving my '11 SXT Rally in the snow. First year ever driving in the snow. Ever. (im 17)
I have Pirelli Winter Carving Edges (stock tire size and not studded) on all 4 corners. I have a lead foot and im a hooligan.

I prefer driving my challenger on snow and ice compared to my mothers AWD SUV.
Ive gotten a couple decent snow storms, its only sketchy on un plowed roads (to my personally) could be just because im a winter driving noob, But i slide it a lot just for fun so im use to it. So whenever the car slides and i dont expect it, im very relaxed. lol

Shifty

Fredericton, New Brunswick "The North Side"

2010 R/T Classic, 6 Speed, Black on Black!
DiabloSport InTune - BC Racing Coil Overs - Resonator Delete - Mopar Aluminum Short Throw Shifter - 392 Chin Spoiler - Speedlogix 180 T Stat - Speedlogix Skip Shift Eliminator - Speedlogix Map Light LEDs - Speedlogix LED Reverse LEDs - Speedlogix Side Marker LEDs - CarID Foglight Covers - Plasti Dip Ram Head Bumper Badge - Window Tint - Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode