Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Challenger Wave!

6K views 39 replies 30 participants last post by  Brosdad 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
I flash my high beams at other Challengers when I see them or give them a thumbs up when I drive past.

Reactions: PaVaSteeler
#4 ·
Doesn't go over well in the the Toronto area. All I get is strange looks when I give the wave. I think here to most people that drive them it's a car not a lifestyle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
That's funny.because I experienced the same reaction from some guy who was driving a Challenger-coming the opposite way-so I figured that I would give him a friendly hand wave and he looked at me like I was from another planet or something-The corvette guys always waved when I had my Vette-now I don't wave at anyone -just pay attention to my driving

#6 ·
A couple of high beam flicks means "radar ahead" and has for as long as I've been driving (42 years), so I wouldn't know whether he was just saying hello or warning me.

Think a few years ago the cops decided to interpret the laws the way they FELT like interpreting them and starting charging people for "safety" violations if they caught you doing it. Distracts other drivers dont you know....has NOTHING to do with protecting the fat revenue generating speed traps of course.

Story about it: Is it illegal to warn other drivers about a speed trap? - The Globe and Mail

I think we have a case winding its way up to the supreme court at the moment, and the cops have reigned things in, but not sure.

I find a lot of judges will side with officers in court, but they get VERY pissy when the cops decide to fool around with the law.

#13 ·
A couple of high beam flicks means "radar ahead" and has for as long as I've been driving (42 years), so I wouldn't know whether he was just saying hello or warning me.

Think a few years ago the cops decided to interpret the laws the way they FELT like interpreting them and starting charging people for "safety" violations if they caught you doing it. Distracts other drivers dont you know....has NOTHING to do with protecting the fat revenue generating speed traps of course.

Story about it: Is it illegal to warn other drivers about a speed trap? - The Globe and Mail

I think we have a case winding its way up to the supreme court at the moment, and the cops have reigned things in, but not sure.

I find a lot of judges will side with officers in court, but they get VERY pissy when the cops decide to fool around with the law.
Courts in the US have ruled that flashing headlights to warn other drivers is protected free speech, so flash away :wink3:. I get more thumbs up from old ladies than I do from other Challenger drivers.

#8 ·
I'm going to keep doing it maybe they will learn its a brotherhood. I did one time get a thumbs up from a guy driving his viper. Caught me completely off guard but waved in return and on my way

#30 ·
I should have given you the wave today when I pulled out of the McDonald's at the light after the meet and greet. I try and give the wave as much as possible, or atleast the nod.

#9 ·
Its funny, but most other Challenger drivers (and all Charger drivers except SRTs) just ignore me if I wave at them while I'm driving the SRT.

But get in the old, bone stock, non-glamorous 99 Jeep Cherokee, and Jeepers wave at me BEFORE I wave at them.

#10 ·
Gotten 3 thumbs up from other Challenger owners since I got my 2015 SRT. Two of the 3 times I initiated it with a wave and got a thumbs up back. The third time we both did it at the same time: I waved and he gave the thumbs-up. So at least around here, thumbs-up seems to be what's trending over the wave and I guess I'll switch to the thumbs-up.

Mike

#11 ·
I rolled down my window today and gave a thumbs up to a guy driving a nice silver 2015 R/T today and he looked at me like I was stalking him. Like others said when I'm driving my Wrangler JKU people practically fall out the window to wave. Not sure how that all got started. I'll be driving down 294 in Chicago and people 8 lanes over going the other direction will wave.

#19 ·
Yep, when I drive the jeep I get waves all the time from other Jeeps. In the Challenger I sometimes get a strange look when I wave or flash lights. When I had a Mustytang I would always get the usual Rustang state as I went past. Maybe others will start doing a thumbs up or something in the Challenger community.

#23 ·
This morning on my way to the office someone was driving a really nice black Challenger a couple of cars ahead. I actually heard it before I saw it. I managed to pull up beside him and I was all excited to give him the wave, and I did, and then I realized I was in my Ford Fusion this morning! D'oh! He looked at me like a was a complete nut and them pulled ahead!

Note to self: my daily driver is a complete dud. (Never bothered me before I got the Challenger!)

#26 ·
Get a Pentastar Challenger as a daily

#24 ·
I've also grown accustomed to waving and receiving waves from other Jeep owners. It's actually in the Jeep owner's manual that you are supposed to wave at other Jeep owners. I have a 2010 Jeep and remember reading it there in the quick guide booklet. Not so much in the Challenger. Just stares!

#28 ·
:wave:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :grin2:

#36 ·
Or you just confused the hell out of him/her. Not everyone who owns a Challenger is an enthusiast. Like I said earlier, I've only gotten about a 25% wave back rate, but I doubt it's because they think they're better than me. They just don't know about the "brotherhood" of Challenger owners.

#37 ·
Last week a guy pulled next to me and he was pumped! Smiling, laughing, and giving me a thumbsup! He must have picked up his ride that week.

Happy to smile and wave, just like when I ride my Harley! Don't regularly initiate it in the Challenger. Maybe more often!

Reactions: GreeninTN
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.