Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Check your car, just in case

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  DougandMichelle 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I did my first oil change on my car at 1830 miles. My car has a 6.4 liter engine in it and not sure if the 5.7 is configured the same way in this issue but imagine the 6.1 would be the same.
When I was under there and looking around near the oil filter, I noticed that there are two rubber hoses going to the oil cooler above the filter and the hose closer to the front is attached to a T connecting it to the lower radiator hose. That hose was in contact with the oil pan and the edge of the pan had a small piece of flashing left from being casted and it cut a groove into the hose. It's not too deep but enough to bother me to want to change it, I took a fine metal file and smoothed the edge of the pan and then took a three inch piece of 1 inch heater hose and slit it and wrapped it over the cooler line and used zip ties to hold it in place. Had I not noticed this and kept driving or had someone else do my oil changes this would have cut through for sure as they are on the clock and try to get the cars in and out. I'm going to buy a new hose and replace it over the winter just to be sure. Too bad I didn't do the first change at 1000 miles and the groove wouldn't be as deep.
Have any of you had this or heard about it?

#2 ·
I remember someone posting a while back about something like this. It's probably a good thing you brought it back to everyone's attention. What sucks for me is I just did my first oil change last week, and I had completely forgotten about it, so I never checked. I will have to make time to do that. Do you think you can see the hose, and where it rubs against the pan from the top of the engine?

#5 ·
Good catch - I'll check mine in the spring to see if the 5.7 R/T is the same setup as this! I had something similar like this happen back in the early 80's on a new Cutlass Supreme but with a steel trans line. At about 20,000 miles, the line wore through from rubbing against something & while driving it the trans started slipping. Caught it in time & had a section spliced in & the line moved away from the obstruction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.