Chrysler Oil Change Recommendations - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 07:42 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chrysler Oil Change Recommendations

OK....I guess I'm a little confused by this. The owners manual recommends an oil change every 6,000 miles or 6 months. Someone please help me out here. I have owned my R/T for 4 months and am approaching only 500 miles on the odometer. When I do occasionally drive it, I have taken it out for at least a 70 mile round trip.....so I'm not concerned about the oil not reaching operation temperature. So why would I want to change my oil in 6 months especially if I may only have 800 miles on her at that time? Does Chrysler honestly expect an oil change at 6 months/6,000 miles. If so, will they expect you to follow this schedule to keep your warranty intact? I find 6 month changes to be totally excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 08:03 AM

Im in the same boat , cars almost 6 months and has around 700 miles. Its not a driver but I guess Im going to change it every 6 months.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

I'd follow the 6 month intervals - other makes used to have 12 month intervals for oil changes as I recall.

Once an oil has been exposed to air the conditions of operating within an engine, the detergents, dispersants and stabilizers begin to break down.

Oil becomes more acidic with use vs. sitting unused in an unopened bottle of oil.

I'd go with the every 6 months interval - especially if you're using conventional oil in your engine. The engineers invested time researching this and that's the recommendation in the manual - don't exceed the 6 month interval.

Oil changes are the least costly form of maintenance that yields the best protection of your investment.

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune

Last edited by Hal H; 03-21-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (36)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It does sound kind of crazy but I have cars that I put 200 miles a year on and I have my guy change the oil just for that reason. But I use Mobil 1 and change it once a year.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
I'd follow the 6 month intervals - other makes used to have 12 month intervals for oil changes as I recall.

Once an oil has been exposed to air the conditions of operating within an engine, the detergents, dispersants and stabilizers begin to break down.

Oil becomes more acidic with use vs. sitting unused in an unopened bottle of oil.

I'd go with the every 6 months interval - especially if you're using conventional oil in your engine. The engineers invested time researching this and that's the recommendation in the manual - don't exceed the 6 month interval.

Oil changes are the least costly form of maintenance that yields the best protection of your investment.

Well....I was planning on switching over to Mobil1 synthetic, but after seeing that the oil should be changed every 6 months (which I think is totally ridiculous), I think I'll save the money and go with a good conventional oil instead. Why put in Mobil1 synthetic just to dump it out every 6 months with less than 1,000 miles usage....that would be assinine.
I do not agree with the 6 month intervals at all...especially when not doing any short drives and using synthetic oils. But I'll adhere to it only because I have the lifetime bumper-bumper warranty and don't want to have any possible problems with Chrysler down the road. What the hell are these Chrysler engineers thinking?

Last edited by caj; 03-21-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by caj View Post
OK....I guess I'm a little confused by this. The owners manual recommends an oil change every 6,000 miles or 6 months. Someone please help me out here. I have owned my R/T for 4 months and am approaching only 500 miles on the odometer. When I do occasionally drive it, I have taken it out for at least a 70 mile round trip.....so I'm not concerned about the oil not reaching operation temperature. So why would I want to change my oil in 6 months especially if I may only have 800 miles on her at that time? Does Chrysler honestly expect an oil change at 6 months/6,000 miles. If so, will they expect you to follow this schedule to keep your warranty intact? I find 6 month changes to be totally excessive.
You are correct, it is excessive and it's a money making scheme. In Europe, driving the same make/model car as we do here, the average drain interval is 10,000 miles. In the U.S.A., it's less than 5,000 miles. Motorists are allowing quick lubes to rip them off and cause severe environmental damage from used oil filters and oil.

The warranty is not precluded on oil change intervals, in and by itself. For a longer drain interval than what is recommended to cause an issue with the warranty, first of all a part would have had to fail. Then, the failure of that part would have to be proven to have been caused by the extended drain interval. If the extended drain interval wasn't the direct cause of the affected part failing, then the warranty must be honored. This is federal law. Further, a good synthetic oil wont be the cause of a part failing prematurely. I've used industry leading Amsoil synthetic motor oils for many years and they come with their own written warranty of up to 35,000 mile drain intervals.

Last edited by Blue Challenger; 03-21-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 PM

[quote=Blue Challenger;199005]You are correct, it is excessive and it's a money making scheme. In Europe, driving the same make/model car as we do here, the average drain interval is 10,000 miles. In the U.S.A., it's less than 5,000 miles. Motorists are allowing quick lubes to rip them off and cause severe environmental damage from used oil filters and oil.

If you knew what you were talking about, I would be mad at you for making the ridiculous statements above. Conventional oil breaks down within 3,000 miles under average driving conditions. Synthetic within 5,000 miles. I own quick lubes. I change my oil every 3,000 miles and use full synthetic (would I do this if it wasn't good for my engine?). I change my oil after a day at the track as well. Why? Because it's good for the engine. I don't care about the warranty. My R/T is modded to the point that they would deny most warranty claims right now. I care about my R/T and I take care of it. Yes, Chrysler's 6,000 mile interval is a joke, but not because the interval is too short. It's way too long. I have many customers come in with new vehicles; they followed the manufacturer's recommended interval and come in for their first oil change 2-3 quarts low on oil and sludge in the engine of their new vechicle. That's a rip-off and should be a crime. Manufacturers can't alter the physical and chemical characteristics of the oil just by stating that the interval is now 6,000 instead of 3,000. What a crock..... I have customers who own BMWs. BMW will give them a free synthetic oil change every 10,000 miles. These people come to me at 5,000 and pay for a synthetic oil change and then go back to BMW at 10,000 for a free oil change. It's their idea; not mine. So, the ripoff is a vehicle manufacturer lying to the public, not people taking good care of their vehicles. OK, I've vented. I'm off my soapbox now. TAKE CARE OF YOUR ENGINE!!!!
And...by the way.... the used oil is recycled and used in the manufacture of asphalt to pave the roads you drive on and the filters are recycled as well. No environmental damage.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Banned

[quote]oilmanpaul;199511]
Originally Posted by Blue Challenger View Post
You are correct, it is excessive and it's a money making scheme. In Europe, driving the same make/model car as we do here, the average drain interval is 10,000 miles. In the U.S.A., it's less than 5,000 miles. Motorists are allowing quick lubes to rip them off and cause severe environmental damage from used oil filters and oil.

If you knew what you were talking about, I would be mad at you for making the ridiculous statements above. Conventional oil breaks down within 3,000 miles under average driving conditions. Synthetic within 5,000 miles. I own quick lubes. I change my oil every 3,000 miles and use full synthetic (would I do this if it wasn't good for my engine?).
You are in a losing proposition recommending 3,000 mile drain intervals. That goes back to the 1960's and it's 2009 now. Oils and engines have come a long way since 1960. If you keep insisting on recommending 3,000 mile drain intervals to your customers, you are clinging to a very out of date recommendation which is not providing very good customer service to your customers. They don't like you recommending oil drain intervals that conflict with their vehicle manufacturers recommendations and line your pockets with their money. Further, you are doing busy work by recommending 3,000 mile oil drain intervals, tossing out perfectly good oil, creating an extreme burden on the environment and making poor business decisions. You could be making more money and servicing more cars by recommending the oil drain intervals that vehicle manufacturers recommend. Nothing on a car wears out or needs replacing in only 3,000 miles. You're not making any more money recommending 3,000 mile drain intervals and if you persist in recommending oil drain intervals that fly in the face of vehicle manufacturer recommendations, you are going to be going out of business.

I have been in the automotive repair and maintenance industry for 25 years. I have done scads of oil analysis tests on my own vehicles and my customers vehicles that clearly show it isn't necessary to change the engine oil every 3,000 miles. This finding is supported by industry experts -

Ford Motor Company engineers recommend 7,500 mile oil drain intervals in their 2007+ vehicles. With the Dodge Challenger, Dodge engineers are recommending 6,000 mile drain intervals. GM engineers recommend following the oil change light with their vehicles and according to GM, the typical drain interval for vehicles equipped with their Oil Life System is 8,500 miles. BMW engineers recommend 12,000 mile oil drain intervals.

So you are actually saying that all these highly trained automotive engineers are wrong and you are right? You have a vested interest recommending 3,000 mile oil drain intervals, that fly in the face of these engineers recommendations, don't you? Interesting.

Here are some links and quotes from industry experts that prove without a shadow of a doubt that recommending the 3,000 mile oil drain interval scheme is only lining the pockets of quick lube owners and ripping off consumers -

3,000-Mile Oil Change Comes Under Fire
AMSOIL Applauded for Extended Drain Technology

"In Europe the average engine oil drain interval for current gasoline-fueled cars is about 10,000 miles," explains McFall. "In the United States, indicates the Automotive Oil Change Association, the average drain interval followed by most drivers is somewhat less than 5,000 miles—one-half of Europe's".

"Every year in the United States, this too-short drain interval results in the unneeded production of 300 million to 400 million gallons of engine oil; excess consumer expenditures of around $1.5 billion; and tens of millions of unnecessary oil changes."

"Not only are these unnecessary oil changes an expense to consumers, explains McFall, but they have an environmental cost as well. "The added environmental cost of having an average 5,000-mile oil drain interval (instead of 10,000 miles, as in Europe) may be nearly 100 million gallons of engine oil being dumped, untreated, into the U.S. environment annually."

"Motor Oil Drain Intervals: An Ethical Burden?" -

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/lng_article/dec_03_mcfall.pdf

"GM, California to Bust ‘3,000 Mile Myth"
http://www.amsoil.com/news/lubereport6-11-08%20.pdf

“The traditional 3,000-mile oil change recommendation
was based on engine and oil technologies of the past,” GM said".

DEBUNKED - The 3,000 mile oil change is a myth. | California Integrated Waste Management Board

AMSOIL Tech Article - Oil Drain Intervals On The Rise

"General Motors is actively seeking to extend oil drain intervals even further. In fact, the company recently asserted that 20,000 mile oil drain intervals are possible with existing engine technology and synthetic oils meeting current specifications, while 30,000 mile oil change intervals are achievable with appropriate motor oil quality and minor engine modifications".

Your vested interest 3,000 mile oil drain interval belongs on the ash heap of history my friend. Get with the times or you will be out of business eventually. Times are changing and you either change with them, or you will be buried by them. Don't be like a frog in a pot of increasingly hot water, never getting out and eventually dying.

Last edited by Blue Challenger; 03-22-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=oilmanpaul;199511]
Originally Posted by Blue Challenger View Post

Yes, Chrysler's 6,000 mile interval is a joke, but not because the interval is too short. It's way too long. I have many customers come in with new vehicles; they followed the manufacturer's recommended interval and come in for their first oil change 2-3 quarts low on oil and sludge in the engine of their new vechicle. That's a rip-off and should be a crime.
oilmanpaul....why mention customers that followed the manufacturer's recommended interval and come in for their first oil change 2-3 quarts low on oil and sludge in the engine of their new vechicle? You're talking apples and oranges difference with this thread. Of course, anyone that cares about their cars will check the oil many times between oil changes and add oil as necessary. I feel it a big waste of $$$$ changing oil every 6 months the way my cars are driven and considering the low mileage that is accrued in that period of time,

Last edited by caj; 03-21-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Banned

[quote=caj;199602]
Originally Posted by oilmanpaul View Post

oilmanpaul....why mention customers that followed the manufacturer's recommended interval and come in for their first oil change 2-3 quarts low on oil and sludge in the engine of their new vechicle? You're talking apples and oranges difference with this thread. Of course, anyone that cares about their cars will check the oil many times between oil changes and add oil as necessary. I feel it a big waste of $$$$ changing oil every 6 months the way my cars are driven and considering the low mileage that are accrued in that period of time,
Hi caj. You are quite correct. As the links I posted prove, the 3,000 mile oil drain interval is a myth and a consumer rip off. You don't have to change your oil every six months. Don't let them fear monger your wallet open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.