Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Cool feature I noticed on my 2013...

3K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  MrMac 
#1 ·
So the other day, I'm leaving work, and headed to the store before I go home. Well, I work in IT and take my laptop home everyday. So when I know I'm going to the store, I put it in the trunk. Inside my laptop bag, I keep my keys. Not paying attention I put my bag in the trunk, and closed it. But then the lid popped open. First thought was.. "Did I close it all the way ?" SO I close it again, but a little harder. Again, the lid pops open. Then it clicked. Oh :2232censored: The lid wont close because I'm and idiot and left my keys in the bag, and it detects the keys are inside. Pretty dang cool ! I was more than thankful. I always knew that the doors wont lock if you have left the keys inside... But never knew about the trunk. :thumbsup:

PS... I love this car.

#2 ·
I did the same thing last week! I shut the trunk like 5 times before I realized "oh, maybe it's because my keys are sitting right there in the trunk!" It's a pretty cool feature!

Reactions: Shank
#3 ·
Someone else on here tried to put their spare keyset in their luggage, and put it in the trunk while going on a road trip. Same thing happened!

#8 · (Edited)
About a month ago my wife called me at work frantic, saying she lost her keys to her Jeep Grand Cherokee at Best Buy. I was over an hour away and super busy but made the trek home to get the spare key to bring to her. I get there and open up the Jeep only for my wife to find the key fob she THOUGHT she'd lost sitting inside the door handle. I didn't understand how the key got locked in the vehicle because it functions the same as the Challenger fob. The locks automatically pop back up the minute the door's shut when the're inside. I tried locking them inside several times and sometimes it worked, a few times it didn't. I think the fob battery may have been to weak for the system to recognize the fob depending on how it was positioned. The moral of the story is, don't bet the ranch on it working 100% of the time.

Reactions: Shank
#11 ·
One thing about our Challenger is that anyone can pop the trunk lid - even if you don't have the fob on you. Walk up, put fingers on the rubber pad that opens the lid & it will pop up. (has this been a common problem on other Challengers?) I have not talked to my dealer about this yet...

Reactions: salvy59
#12 ·
LOL! I did this too and love the fact the car is idiot proof. The same thing happens if you push the door lock button on the door and leave the fob in the car. The horn will beep a few times and unlock both doors.

#13 ·
I found this feature departing from the dealership. They put my front plate holder, spare key, and various other items in the trunk. My dumb ass went in and got the salesperson thinking there was something wrong with the car because the trunk wouldn't close.

#14 · (Edited)
Dealer actually showed me the trunk and door features when I picked up my car saying that, "There's no way you can lock your keys in this car!".....

Not sure about other years or models, but for my 2012 SRT it's not 100% and can be defeated as I found out the first time I took my car in for an oil change. Had parked the car in the express lane for the oil change and went in and left the key fob with the service guy. I had just come back from the parts counter like two minutes later and I see the service guy and one of the techs looking through my drivers side window. Hmm, this can't be good. As I walk up, he turns and says, "You're not going to be happy about this..." My heart sank thinking - What the hell did they do to my baby?

He says to me, "We locked your keyfob in the car". My response was, "That's impossible, the door won't lock if the fobs in the car". He replies, "No, not with the button on the handle, but it will if you push down the door's inside lock knob and then shut the door....." He had done this without thinking as he said it's his habit when locking his car... He then says to me, "You didn't by chance remove the actual key from the fob before giving it to us, did you?" Why would I have?

Anyway, long story short, the wrote down my VIN, went to parts and got a spare key cut. After unlocking the door and retrieving my fob, they were going to snap the key in two to destroy it. Instead, I took it, cut off the black plastic end to make it uniformly thin and now carry it in my wallet along with my spare truck's door key - just in case!

No matter how foolproof they try to make things, there will be someone that figures out a way around it.....

#15 ·
What happens if you have your car idling then you bring the fob inside the house then drive off? I know it will say fob not detected but will it ever kill the engine?

Instead, I took it, cut off the black plastic end to make it uniformly thin and now carry it in my wallet along with my spare truck's door key - just in case!
I need to do this!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
The system is good, but not perfect. It depends on radio-location of the fob in order to decide if its inside or outside of the car. Things like metal objects in and around the car can mess with it a little bit. For example, the wife that left it in the armrest- that's only a few inches from being "outside" the car, so it probably fooled the system. Given enough tries, it probably would have finally opened the car, also, thinking the key was "outside."

And the trunk isn't as easy to get into as one poster reported. I've tried to open my trunk with the fob far away from the car. It will open if the car doors are unlocked, but if the doors are locked and the fob isn't with you, the trunk will not open.

#20 ·
From page 38 of the 2014 owner's manual:

Preventing Inadvertent Locking Of Passive Entry RKE
Transmitter In Vehicle
To minimize the possibility of unintentionally locking a
Passive Entry RKE transmitter inside your vehicle, the
Passive Entry system is equipped with an automatic door
unlock feature which will function if the ignition switch
is in the OFF position
If one of the vehicle doors is open and the door panel
switch is used to lock the vehicle, once all open doors
have been closed the vehicle checks the inside and
outside of the vehicle for any Passive Entry RKE transmitters.
If one of the vehicle’s Passive Entry RKE transmitters
is detected inside the vehicle, and no other valid
Passive Entry RKE transmitters are detected outside the
vehicle, the Passive Entry System automatically unlocks
all vehicle doors and chirps the horn three times (on the
third attempt ALL doors will lock and the Passive Entry
RKE transmitter can be locked in the vehicle).

NOTE:
If you inadvertently leave your vehicle’s Passive

Entry RKE transmitter in the trunk and try to close the
deck lid, the deck lid will automatically unlatch, unless
another one of the vehicle’s Passive Entry RKE transmitters
is outside the vehicle and within 5 ft (1.5 m) of the
deck lid.

#21 ·
Another cool feature is if you leave the map light on, ( was setting some radio functions) And forgot to turn it off. Three days later I remembered "you didn't turn the light off you idiot" run out to the shop open the door lights come on and it started right up! It powers down if you leave something on! COOL!

#22 ·
This must not exist on the 2011's, because this is EXACTLY how I locked my keys in the trunk of my SRT once.

Put my key in my coat pocket after I locked the door. Opened trunk, took off coat, put in trunk and closed it. WALA! - key was locked in my car. Have to have wife show up with my extra fob to get back in. DOH!

JFF:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.