Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Correct Oil?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Bradley Manning wannabe 
#1 ·
What is the correct oil for a 2010 SRT8???

I ordered 0w40 based on some threads on here, but the dealership changed it out last time with 5w40.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
Originally the maintenance docs all said to use 0w40. But in 2011 the maintenance docs that the dealerships all look at said they could also use 5w40. So I would say that you have your choice of oil weight.

I have stayed with 0w40 but then again I now do my own oil changes as it is so easy and way cheaper..............plus I have been told I look cute in my coveralls with oil and dirty on my face. LOL BTW, I am a woman.

#4 ·
The 2010 SRTs came with Mobil1 0W40 from the factory and Mobil1 0W40 was the recommended oil for the car. In 2011, for whatever(s) reason that can argued to death, the recommendation became 5W40 since Chrysler chummed up SOPUS (owns Pennzoil) and started recommending 5W40 since SOPUS did not have a 0W40 domestically. Now the brew of choice is the new Pennzoil 0W40 for SRTs but it is fairly hard to get unless you order it online.

Mobil1 0W40 and Pennzoil 0W40 meet the required Chrysler specs for your car so use either with confidence. If the dealership used 5W40 then check to make sure the specific spec noted in the owner’s manual (MB229.3, MB229.5) is noted on the oil bottle.

IMHO, Mobil1 Xw20 and Xw30 are no better nor any worse then other named Xw20 or Xw30 synthetic. However, Mobil1 0W40 is a very robust and stout oil and hard to beat for 0W40 requirements.

#5 ·
Great info! I'm a royal purple fan, so I got RP 0w40

#6 ·
From my 2010 owners manual:

"The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic 5W-40 or equivalent engine oil."​

I use Amsoil 5W-40 and am very pleased with the performance. I am running with a Procharger at 6 psi. Not stock, but if the manufacturer and my tuner recommends the same, I am happy with that.

From what I have read, the engine oil debate is endless. Use what makes sense to you.

#7 ·
Well since I got 12-0w40 in the mail guess I'll use it lol :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.