Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Corvette owner looking to make the switch - Advice needed pls and ty

5K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  NoNeck 
#1 ·
Hey guys

This is the first step I make anytime I am looking to get into a new make and model of car, I like the join the forums and learn what I can.

Currently I have a C5 Corvette FRC 6 speed as my "fun car", I really like it but recently been bit by the urge to get into one of the challengers.

Its the look that does it for me, I do like the styling and I dont mind the larger size of the car itself, its more fitting for me physically.

Im not even an "american car" guy , I am into lexus mostly, but I have to admit the challenger is damn nice, and its sucking me in the same way the corvette did.

I guess im looking for some introductory info, my main concern as with all cars is reliability, Mainly the major items , suh as engine, tranny , drivetrain and electronics.

Are any of the years more prone to issues then the others?

I would not even consider anything "non V8" or "non manual", so no need to even discuss those models.

I belive im looking into the SRT model, somewhere around the 2010 year, give or take a bit.

Also are these cars receptive to bolt on mods such as headers, intake and other little mods?

Id be happy around the 500 Hp mark (at the crank)

Thanks guys and any info would be appreciated :)

See less See more
#5 ·
Sounds like a Scat Pack would be the best car for you in terms of what you're looking for but I know there is a budget so I understand that. If you can afford it somehow then I'd definately go that route as you won't be disappointed even if it means saving up for it more and get a bigger down payment on it. Good luck to you.

#6 ·
I had a C6 6spd convertible vette for 5 years. I lost it during hurricane Sandy. When it came time too get another "toy", I gave it serious thought.
I bought a Wrangler for a while cause I couldn't decide what to get although the Challenger was always one of my favorites.
When the 15 came out, I felt the need for speed again.
At 6'3" 245, the Challenger fits me much better than my old vette. I bought the SRT 6spd.
It shifts better than the vette, rides better overall, (the vette cornered better), straight line takeoff will put a big smile on your face.
My only complaint is the very thin sheetmetal on the body. You can dent it if you fart too loud.
Interior blows the vette away as far as comfort goes.
Get either the Scat or the SRT. Coming from a Vette, I don't think you'd be happy with anything else.

#7 ·
Since you are use to the Vettes performance abilities the 6.1 or 6.4 is the route you want to go without a doubt. The Challengers have some size and heft to adapt to but are very comfortable and a true muscle car. If you finances can swing it I would hover around the Scat Packs as they are the best bang for your buck right now.

Reliability issues are relatively the same as others but then again Dodge's fit and finish/reliability do rank lower than what I like to see according to reviews. I own a 15 model so I have little input on that topic.

One of my prior cars was a 370Z so based on what it was about (pure sports car like your Vette) the trade off was well worth it. The Challenger performs very well, comfortable, quiet ride, and has decent road manners. If you are a taller/bigger guy this is a plus too with more seat and headroom and a very good vacation car to drive as long as you want.

From what I have read on the 6.4 minimal gains are made with the header/cai/exhaust/tune route and very expensive at that so Im leaning on a supercharger with mild boost if I decide to up the ante or possibly going Nitrious for the drag race days but either way you go there isnt a cheap way to get those ponies.

Overall I am very happy with my Challenger and I think you will be too once you drive yours home!

#8 ·
Id be happy around the 500 Hp mark (at the crank)

Thanks guys and any info would be appreciated :)
Easiest way to get to 500 crank is a 392 Hemi from 2011?-present

470 hp until 2015, then 485 hp presently

SRT, SRT Core, and R/T Scat Pack models are the ones you'd be looking for. All available with 6-speed manuals.

Reactions: NoNeck
#9 ·
if you're looking at used, I'd recommend the '11+ SRT [this is the year the 6.4 / 392 was introduced). 470hp stock and has a broader power band and torque curve over the 6.1.

Plus there were numerous updates to the suspension (and faster steering ratio).

The '12+ SRT had ADS Bilstein shocks (adjustable for comfort/sport/track) as well as the rear parking sensors.

If you were shopping new depending on budget - there's the R/T Scat Pack (same engine as SRT) or the SRT 392 model [485hp from '15+]

#10 ·
As a former C5 Corvette owner myself, let me say this:

If you want the performance of the Corvette with more room, you NEED the 392 at a minimum. Anything else is going to disappoint.

As far as reliability goes, my 5.7 hasn't been bullet proof. At just 30k miles, the car got a new cam and lifters. And it has the infamous Hemi tick too which sucks. However, the Corvette is notoriously finicky. I've had two, my brother has had one, and all three had issues.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you. Be patient and you'll find the deal you're looking for.

#11 ·
It seems like you are looking for a pre owned car.

the 2009-2010 SRT cars have 425 HP with the 6.1 hemi and are available with a stick.

the 2011 SRT cars have 470 HP with the 6.4/392 hemi and are available with a stick. Small body and interior upgrades over the 2008-2010 models from this year forward.

2012-2014 SRT cars have 470 HP and adjustable suspension and some other goodies + stick.

2013-2014 offers the SRT "core" model, which has 470 hp, but lacks adjustable suspension and some other goodies, but is cheaper if you can find one.

Not sure what your budget is but for 40k with no options you can get a new 2015/2016 scat pack, which has 485 hp and a stick. These years have the newest body style updates and an all new interior.

If buying used, and coming from a corvette, i'd say buy a car 2011 or newer so you get the 392/6.4 hemi. Anything else/previous years won't live up to your performance expectations.

#12 ·
I had an 01 Z06. I loved that car, I really did! I have 2 small kids though and rarely got to drive it. Plus the dudes on the Corvette forum were so crazy, I had to stop visiting there because all I ever read was doom and gloom about this or that breaking. I got a 09 R/T 6 speed which pacified me for a few years and was fun, but I wanted an SRT and couldn't afford one at the time. I recently got an 11 SRT and the difference over the 09 is staggering! Car looks the same but is not the same car for sure! The performance specs of my 11 SRT are VERY close to the Z06 and I can throw the whole family in it. For comparison I got my SRT a few months ago. It's absolutely perfect, never in rain etc with 7500 miles for 30k. There are good buys and great cars out there if you look.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#13 ·
My old 2001 Z06 Corvette was 385 HP 385 Ft/Lbs of torque & 6 Speed trans 0-60 4.5 seconds. Standing 1/4 mile in 12.6 seconds at 111.2 MPH. 175 MPH top speed.
The 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 was given a big boost in horsepower and torque with its new 392-cubic inch Hemi V8, packing 470 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque — . 0-60 4.5 seconds and quarter mile times of 12.5 seconds and capable of an incredible .93g of lateral acceleration. 170 MPH top speed.

#14 ·
Thanks for the info guys :)

I been doing research and the Scat pack is looking real nice, but its damn expensive still

I would like to scoop up a 09-10 for $25k ish , and maybe do some bolt ons to get some extra power.

I just found out the weight of these beasts, 4300 pounds? yikes they are as heavy as my big lexus sedan lol

#17 ·
My 2007 C6 Vert was nice, but my 15 SRT is just so much more fun to drive.
LOL! Those guys on Corvette forum were over the top.
Do yourself a favor. Coming from a Corvette, don't go below the Scat or the SRT or you'll be disappointed.

#19 ·
Curious is to what times you are running? Was thinking of upgrading in the spring to a newer SRT/392. Thanks!

#22 ·
Well just to play devils advocate apparently, you also have the option of finding a gently used supercharged 5.7 R/T and then poop on all the big Hemi fanboys. >:)

Aftermarket parts are pretty decent as far as options and pricing goes, not as plentiful as Mustangs or Camaros, and slightly more expensive at times, but nowhere near the vette aftermarket price range. There really is no limitation on what you can do to a Challenger with performance mods, some of the members here have some insanely awesome builds.

#23 ·
My best time was a 11.90@118mph with just the hellcat box mod and drag radials. These heavy cars are beasts!

#24 ·
I had a C5 for 18 months, bought it new. The only thing I really miss is the convertible top down on a sunny day. The cool factor deminished over time and just lost interest. I've had a Challenger R/T Classic for 3 years and have no plans to get rid of it. The most enjoyable car I've ever owned. Neither daily drivers, but challenger still makes me smiles every time I drive it.

#25 ·
I see many good buys for low mileage used Challengers right here on the forum. Not sure how much you're willing to spend, but I personally like the 2015 refresh better, and wouldn't go with anything less than a 392 in this car, so that kind of narrows things down to a used Scat Pack or an older model SRT if you like the earlier styling. Do you want a run of the mill color, or something that stands out from the crowd? These are all factors to consider since certain colors weren't produced as much so it makes it harder to find them.

#26 ·
I went from 2015 Stingray loaded to a stripper Scat pack...No regrets after 5200 miles. I wanted an old school muscles car and the 392 Challengers are just that... Life is short and cars are a plenty. and fun lol.

good luck with choice but get the 392....

#27 ·
I’ve also had an 01 C-5,and just got rid of my 2011 Grand Sport Corvette to buy my 2016 Scat Pack Shaker.

We already have a 2011 Challenger R/T(Wife’s hot rod),and the Scat Pack or SRT was the only option for me coming from my GS.
I am indeed very happy with the Challengers,and even though the Vette is a totally different beast,they are not a muscle car like the Challenger.

#28 ·
I had a 1999 C5 Z51 hardtop, kept that for a couple years (got it used) and then got a 2005 C6 (base model) new when that came out. Both M6. Loved those cars. Had a couple nagging issues with both of those, but nothing astronomical. The 1999 handled better than the 2005 base model: that 2005 had atrocious body roll: hard to believe for a sports car, even the base model. The Challenger has almost no body roll which makes it feel firmly planted.

The MAF systems in the GM vehicles make them much easier to mod. I had a 2009 SRT with the 6.1 and did a lot of NA mods like Mopar CAI, 85mm TB, 180 stat, Predator tunes, and really never got anything out of it except a very slight boost on the upper end. I always felt like the speed density system in the Challengers is more difficult to mod, necessitating a good tuner (and I mean human tuner, on a dyno, with wideband) to actually dial them in (which I never did).

I agree with everyone else though, get the 392 (2011+). Sorry if this sours any grapes, but my 2009 SRT 6.1 felt like a dog compared to my 2015. The 392 has more torque down low so it feels like even more than 60 HP.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Mike

#29 ·
Yeah, my 11 SRT has as much torque as the 72 Chevelle I built running a 500hp 468. Oh and air conditioning, gps, moon roof, heated seats... In fact my 09 RT brought me to sell the 69 Chevelle convertible I had been restoring for 13 years!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.