Data Recorder (Black Box) - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 06:18 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Data Recorder (Black Box)

On the News tonight the talk was about the "Black Box" Being in every new car starting in 2014.Our cars allready have them right? Or is this a newer way for Big Brother to keep an Eye on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Photos: (6)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From 1998 to 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) sponsored a working group specifically tasked with the study of EDRs. After years of evaluation, NHTSA released a formal Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in 2004. This notice declared NHTSA’s intent to standardize EDRs. It was not until August 2006 that NHTSA released its final ruling (49 CFR Part 563). The ruling was lengthy (207 pages), consisting of not only definitions and mandatory EDR standards, but also acted as a formal reply to the dozens of petitions received by NHTSA after the 2004 notice.

Since there was already an overwhelming trend for voluntary EDR installation, the ruling did not require manufacturers to install EDRs in vehicles produced for North America. Based on its analysis, NHTSA estimated that by 2010, over 85% of vehicles would already have EDRs installed in them, but warned that if the trend did not continue, the agency would revisit their decision and possibly make installation a requirement.

The mandate did, however, provide a minimum standard for the type of data that EDRs would be required to record: at least 15 types of crash data. Some of the required crash data include pre-crash speed, engine throttle, brake use, measured changes in forward velocity (Delta-V), driver safety belt use, airbag warning lamp status and airbag deployment times.

In addition to the required data, NHTSA also set standards for 30 other types of data if EDRs were voluntarily configured to record them. For example, if a manufacturer configured an EDR to record engine RPMs or ABS activity, then the EDR would have to record 5 seconds of those pre-crash data in half-second increments.

Besides the requirement that all data be able to survive a 30 MPH barrier crash and be measured with defined precision, NHTSA also required that all manufacturers make their EDR data publicly available. As of October 2009, only General Motors, Ford and Daimler Chrysler had released their EDR data to be publicly read.

In the August 2006 ruling, NHTSA set a time table for all vehicle manufacturers to be in compliance with the new EDR standards. The compliance date was originally set for all vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2010. NHTSA has since updated its ruling (49 CFR Part 563 Update) to give vehicle manufacturers until September 1, 2012 to be in compliance with the original ruling.

LINK-VISIT US ON FACEBOOK-LINK

SOCSOC
Click for thread. Location and dates to be determined on an ongoing basis.

SSE, JBA, LEDs, HNK, WTF, BBRs

No longer a helping member-27/2/11
The Following User Says Thank You to CURT LF For This Useful Post:
iamawild1 (01-11-2014)
Old 12-08-2012, 07:08 PM

Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,052 Posts
It's nothing new. They started this quietly in the '90s and I remember being shocked to read about that years later and find my then current vehicle on the list. Big Brother? Well, your car has been turned into a snitch like most of your environment (smile - you're probably on camera). It's OK; it's for the children. http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to USRWDV8 For This Useful Post:
RTkid (12-11-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Photos: (14)
Here's the full list of cars with CDR's - see what other vehicles you've owned that had them.

http://www.crashdataservices.net/fil...erage_List.pdf

The Bosch Crash Data Retrieval Software and Hardware
products support the retrieval of crash data from Airbag
Control Modules (ACM), Roll-over Sensors (ROS) and
Powertrain Control Modules (PCM) installed in vehicles
listed in this document as indicated by the markings in
the column labeled ‘‘Module’’

Safford Chrysler of Springfield, VA Mopar Car Show 5-4-2014 http://youtu.be/-6Talf86AF8

Pack's Frozen Custard Stop 07-14-2013 http://youtu.be/-chNFIwwcm4
Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 AM

So if I'm doing 60 in a 55 and someone in a pre black box car runs a stop sign and They die in the wreck, then I am liable because I got a box that says I was breaking the law.

Wonderful...........

Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 PM

30 days ago people voted for Big Brother to be in control.....

the other 49% of us are screwed

IM GOING TO DRIVE OVER YOUR CAR
AND DO A BURNOUT ON YOUR HOOD!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to huggytree For This Useful Post:
19johned53 (12-11-2012), JS23V0B (12-13-2012), mjb4450 (12-10-2012), RTkid (12-11-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Originally Posted by R/T FAN View Post
So if I'm doing 60 in a 55 and someone in a pre black box car runs a stop sign and They die in the wreck, then I am liable because I got a box that says I was breaking the law.

Wonderful...........
Uh, no...

EDRs don't replace other evidence. Obviously if someone ran a stop sign then they would be at fault. Let's not lose our common sense.
- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by R/T FAN View Post

Wonderful...........
Good question actually! As said, it doesn't trump other evidence..BUT...the information they could aquire from your "box" is spped, whether you applied the brakes, whether your seat belt was on..things like that. So if YOU got hurt also...they can gather that information from your property without any search warrant (currently) and they found out you weren't wearing your seat belt, the insurance company could dispute paying your medical bills...and the insurance companies are all for the black boxes...imagine that.

"It's for the children"...my *ss.....Sorry, but one of the things that really urks me bad is the continuing loss of our personal rights and privacy in our great country. **Steps off Soap box**

'11 Challenger SRT8 392 Auto, Billet Metallic
Other Cars:
-1983 Camaro Z28 Magnacharged 408
-1990 Cavalier Z24 3.1 All stock, 154K miles
-2000 S-10 4WD 4.3 V6

Last edited by GSMC; 12-09-2012 at 01:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GSMC For This Useful Post:
salvy59 (01-05-2014)
Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
EDRs aren't any more of a violation of privacy than red-light cameras. You are driving in PUBLIC streets, there is no expectation of privacy when it comes to your driving actions.

Nobody can just randomly stop you and connect to the EDR and read the data, that's not how the laws work nor is it how the EDRs work.

Last edited by Yahooligan; 12-09-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,304 Times in 809 Posts
Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
30 days ago people voted for Big Brother to be in control.....

the other 49% of us are screwed
Many who voted have no clue of the dire consequences that will follow. You reap what you sow. One day the masses will understand. Your words could not be more true.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.