Data Recorder (Black Box) - Page 9 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just wanna point out that even though its not "private" information doesnt mean I want someone able to see information about me.

you walk around in public all the time (i assume anyway), do you there for think the government should be able to monitor where you are at all time because its not private information, anyone can see you. No thats stupid
Hemi Registry #1495

Stuff a pony's hood with one of the multi-throat-carbureted monster motors, and it could fog the landscape with testosterone and tire smoke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Photos: (12)
Great insight USRWDV8 and Hemizsp.It would be interesting indeed sitting down over a cup of joe to discuss the endless topics related to what has thus far been covered here as being in the minority of people who think outside the box does not lend itself the opprtunity to strike up such stimulatong conversation on a regular basis.

On a lighter note I have a interesting story of a reversal of governmental induced control.In
1993 here in Canada our federal government,(Liberal at the time),introduced the 'Canadian Firearms Registry' which required the registration of all long-gun firearms in Canada.You could be fined heavily or face prison time if not complying to this legislation.Of course there was great debate over this registration for years and long-gun owners who lived mostly in the rural areas of the country felt they were being punished for what was going on in the urban centers with hand guns and prohibited weapons.Of course over the years there has been great cost overruns to keep this program afloat.

I opted not to registar any of my long-guns as I felt that this information held in the data base of the law enforcement agencies could be abused in some way against the registrant.I also refused to get nickled and dimed again by having to pay them for the process.So year after year went by having many debates over this issue with those who supported it discussing all the pros ,cons and invasion of privacy concerns.

Well,...here we are,...almost 20 years later and to my delight our present Conservative Prime Minister completely abolished the mandatory long-gun registry and just like that with the stroke of a pen I and countless others are once again law abiding citizens and no longer considered a threat to society.

It feels great to on the winning side!

Now the taxpayers money will no longer be wasted on legislation that did not change a thing in terms of ending homicides with guns,...they will just piss it away on the next useless peice of legislation.

USRWDV8,...the 'Cabin In The Woods' is a good path to take.I did it for 12 years in northwestern Ontario's Lake of the Woods region.Hunted and fished for the majority of my food,cut 8 cords of wood per year to feed the wood stove,spent weeks at a time living in prospector canvas tents in the middle of nowhere while fighting forest fires and cooking over camp fires.Worked and spent most of my liesure time with my family in the great outdoors camping in very remote areas exposing my children to what I like to call the real world so they could devevlope a strong connection.

I moved to a more urban area due restructuring in my workplace and to give my children the opportunity to experience a diifferent view of our world.Now they can choose what path too take and have a good understanding of what each has to offer.As for me,...once the kids are on their own I'm packing it up and heading back to the woods and spend the rest of my days there,...not to hide away from the big bad world but to enjoy a better balance.I believe we as species are becoming too disconnected from the natural order of things which may come back to bite us in the ass quite aggressively.
K&N Cold Air Intake
DiabloSport Predator Custom Tune
Billet Technology Red Anodized Catch Can
Red Anodized Break & Gas Pedal
CMR Custom Dyno Tune By RSP Motorsports
Foose Legend Wheels:20"x8.5"Front & 20"x10"Rear
Tires:245/45R20 Front & 275/40R20 Rear
Billet Technology Red Anodized Interior & Under Hood Kits
Dark 20% Window Tint
Hood & Side Striping

Last edited by 09R/TPony; 12-11-2012 at 03:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 09R/TPony For This Useful Post:
HEMIZSP (12-11-2012), USRWDV8 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post
Couldn't agree more, mjb4450. I don't think he sees the big picture either - he's missing the forest for the trees. Most people are not schooled in the arts of inductive reasoning or interpolation. I suspect that they are trained to solve micro-problems and remain myopic, to look where they are told to look, which is good for the puppet masters. Many times I've gotten blank stares from people who thought I was connecting dots that were unrelated. They're doing tactics instead of strategy, as I was saying earlier. You can be very smart and very blind that way.

When you are able to connect the dots, or see the slippery slope, you are considered paranoid, or need a tin foil hat. Oh wait, Yooligan did state some of us were paranoid and or wear a tin foil hat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoostKing For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Well this thread has inspired me.

As soon as I figure out how to remove the black box, I'm gonna go take it out back and shoot it with every gun I got, then re-install it......

Last edited by R/T FAN; 12-11-2012 at 04:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R/T FAN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Someone mentioned the Matrix as the future. I believe the Matrix is now.

Movie: Humans as batteries to power the machine. Alternate reality to keep them alive and functioning

Real life: Humans as revenue centers (taxes, registrations, licenses etc) to keep the Govt fed. Reality TV, internet, jobs that pay just enough to put food on the table to keep us fat and happy.

Tin foil hat anyone?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoostKing For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Photos: (10)
........."What if eventually the Black box records your conversations while driving around?"..........is that something that Big Brother just simply would never stoop so low to do? For all I know, they already have the capability.
2005 Kia Sorento Great car but everybody keeps doorbanging the poor thing.
1975 Mustang II V-8 Highly Modified to 400+ HP, nothing stock except the radiator cap

Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
........."What if eventually the Black box records your conversations while driving around?"..........is that something that Big Brother just simply would never stoop so low to do? For all I know, they already have the capability.

They have the capability, fortunately my life is so boring, why bother. NSA has huge databanks and there was an article recently from one of the builders basically exposing the capabilities.
Ill see if I can find it.

Enjoy.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...nsadatacenter/
Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 PM

Photos: (14)
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
If you have a GM with OnStar the police can serve a warrant/or not on the service and listen/track you - just saying.

Does OnStar record my conversations?
We may record and monitor conversations by you or others from your car with us, with emergency service providers, with the police, or third parties to maintain or improve the quality of OnStar service, for training purposes, or to promote and provide OnStar service. Please note that our OnStar Advisors may also remain on the line if they conference in a third party, such as dealership personnel to assist in completing a service request. These third parties may also record and monitor your conversations. We may also randomly monitor your interactions with OnStar's automated services such as OnStar Virtual Advisor for quality improvement purposes.

Wired now reports that even if you cancel your OnStar service, you are still being tracked:
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/u...nSnapz0651.jpg

Safford Chrysler of Springfield, VA Mopar Car Show 5-4-2014 http://youtu.be/-6Talf86AF8

Pack's Frozen Custard Stop 07-14-2013 http://youtu.be/-chNFIwwcm4

Last edited by Robo; 12-11-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM

Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,051 Posts
The tin foil hat accusation is thrown around by the uninformed. I have a newspaper clip from 2000 (I've been following this stuff for decades) that relates concerns about a device called Mobiltrak used to determine what radio station people were listening to. It was pointed at cars in parking lots and used for marketing and research purposes by private interests. The ACLU called this the "tip of the iceberg" (I agree with them on those issues).

It's natural for businesses to try and know their customers to serve them better. Your local grocer used to know his neighborhood so he could order what people liked after all. But with today's technology it's too tempting for corporations to find out everything they can about us, and it's gotten too far. Not everybody is freaked out by this, mind you. I clear all cookies after visiting any type of company website, but most people feel that being recognized 'enhances' the experience or makes it smoother. What aren't we willing to give up in the name of convenience... Plus you got to figure that since so many of our transactions now take place online instead of face to face, banks and merchants protect themselves by identifying you via IP address and more in very sneaky ways - I love it when I switch computers and all their flags go up. The thing is, they are entering our homes doing so and it's silly not to understand what the problem is.

On top of this every other month it seems some huge data broker like ChoicePoint or LexisNexis gets hacked (or someone 'loses' their work laptop), and people's lives and identities are compromised. Just for those who think that there is no nefarious agenda in data gathering and therefore we shouldn't worry about it. I think that incompetence and carelessness far outweigh evil in this world.

So even IF I was told that the black boxes did not record anything and had no memory or communication ability, I wouldn't believe it and would be concerned about future developments. What gun people understand really well (about registration or any other scheme from the antis) is that the end goal is never visible. Only very small incremental steps are taken to stay under people's radar. The only way to deal with this is to fight tooth and nail every initiative from the other side, regardless of how innocuous it seems. This is why I refused to debate the 'EDRs' actual and current capabilities - it's irrelevant to me. I don't want OnStar and LoJack for the same reason. How about a leash?

Now all of us here likely lead honest and boring lives that would not interest the powers that be. But when people tell me they have 'nothing to hide' I ask them for their SSN or why they are wearing clothes. Information is power and that's why 'they' want it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to USRWDV8 For This Useful Post:
HEMIZSP (12-11-2012), Robo (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM

Photos: (10)
well put.............

Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post
The tin foil hat accusation is thrown around by the uninformed. I have a newspaper clip from 2000 (I've been following this stuff for decades) that relates concerns about a device called Mobiltrak used to determine what radio station people were listening to. It was pointed at cars in parking lots and used for marketing and research purposes by private interests. The ACLU called this the "tip of the iceberg" (I agree with them on those issues).

It's natural for businesses to try and know their customers to serve them better. Your local grocer used to know his neighborhood so he could order what people liked after all. But with today's technology it's too tempting for corporations to find out everything they can about us, and it's gotten too far. Not everybody is freaked out by this, mind you. I clear all cookies after visiting any type of company website, but most people feel that being recognized 'enhances' the experience or makes it smoother. What aren't we willing to give up in the name of convenience... Plus you got to figure that since so many of our transactions now take place online instead of face to face, banks and merchants protect themselves by identifying you via IP address and more in very sneaky ways - I love it when I switch computers and all their flags go up. The thing is, they are entering our homes doing so and it's silly not to understand what the problem is.

On top of this every other month it seems some huge data broker like ChoicePoint or LexisNexis gets hacked (or someone 'loses' their work laptop), and people's lives and identities are compromised. Just for those who think that there is no nefarious agenda in data gathering and therefore we shouldn't worry about it. I think that incompetence and carelessness far outweigh evil in this world.

So even IF I was told that the black boxes did not record anything and had no memory or communication ability, I wouldn't believe it and would be concerned about future developments. What gun people understand really well (about registration or any other scheme from the antis) is that the end goal is never visible. Only very small incremental steps are taken to stay under people's radar. The only way to deal with this is to fight tooth and nail every initiative from the other side, regardless of how innocuous it seems. This is why I refused to debate the 'EDRs' actual and current capabilities - it's irrelevant to me. I don't want OnStar and LoJack for the same reason. How about a leash?

Now all of us here likely lead honest and boring lives that would not interest the powers that be. But when people tell me they have 'nothing to hide' I ask them for their SSN or why they are wearing clothes. Information is power and that's why 'they' want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.