Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dealer lying from the get go?

3K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  FDHog 
#1 ·
Hey all,

So I have been searching for an SXT Plus with STP/Technology Group/Sound Group II Package, and I asked a dealer right off the bat what the price would be with the tread lightly discount. He told me $32,459 minus rebates. So I emailed another dealer and asked if they could beat that price. That dealer responds and tells me yes they could do it as that is the list price for the car I want.

So was I just lied to by the first guy who didn't even get me the true discount price then? Man, I do not look forward to this ridiculousness. I look like an idiot the second dealer since I assumed that 32,459 was a friggin discount.

#6 ·
It`s funny that your screen name is such-a-crisis........ and you seem to be in one now. lol

Do your homework -- there is soooooo much information about true car pricing on the internet.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but the information is out there and if you want a good deal you yourself have to put forth the effort. If not, most likely you will pay more.......

Reactions: DJ Hemi
#7 ·
You want the sticker price, go to the Dodge Challenger Build and Price.
This will give you the MSRP.
Then go to a site like True Car and see what they're going for in your area.
You can do all your footwork right from your couch.

Reactions: BlkSEbase
#8 ·
go on autotrader and punch in what you want see what comes up.you are better off buying a car on the lot than letting the dealer get it for you.if you find a car you like bring a print out in case the salesman give you the old we just sold that car line.they adds all have vin numbers...do your own leg work.if you get the old we just sold that car when you have the vin and your standing next to it call autotrader and they will make it good

#10 ·
go on autotrader and punch in what you want see what comes up.you are better off buying a car on the lot than letting the dealer get it for you.if you find a car you like bring a print out in case the salesman give you the old we just sold that car line.they adds all have vin numbers...do your own leg work.if you get the old we just sold that car when you have the vin and your standing next to it call autotrader and they will make it good
That's not necessarily true. You can (and I did) get incredible deals on ordered cars. And a car that's on the lot, that you just test drove, can invoke the urge to buy on impulse.

#9 ·
What? You mean to tell me that car dealers lie to us?! LOL

News flash: there's a sucker born every minute, and car dealers drool when they spot one....or five.

The Internet is the Consumer's friend, as there is so much info available from so many sources, it's there for the taking. Good luck.

#15 · (Edited)
I don't think anyone is really surprised by a dealer lying, that wasn't my point. I just posted as a "can you believe this crap?" It's the extent they will go that baffled me. The point is that the guy lied to a direct question about the cost of the car with a discount they basically have to honor from Tread Lightly(Chrysler Affiliate Program) if they are participating in it. To me, that goes beyond trying to sucker someone into almost a realm of stupidity. How is that possibly going to work if someone walks onto your lot and sees the sticker price as the quote he was given for a discount he is expecting to use? Especially when you know it should be 1% below invoice. Also, it even hurts them further when you ask another lot and they actually tell you the discount price in an email.They lost a sale in 2 mins flat, and I didn't even leave my chair. You would have to be the dumbest dude in your state to ever fall for this kind of nonsense, regardless of how savvy you are with bargaining/car buying.

#16 ·
FCA and Chrysler do not own most dealerships. They are franchises and anyone with enough cash, credit, and influence can become a franchisee. Some are straight up business people who are concerned about their reputation and some are just this side of white collar criminals.

Never shop for a vehicle without doing research. Know what you want before you begin discussions with a sales person and learn about the warranties, the costing, financing, your FICO [not any other] credit score, and the dealer reputations before starting.

Dealers love the ignorant. Ignorance pays for their luxury homes, their boats, their vacations, and their retirement accounts.

The harder you study up front, they less you pay monthly for the car you really want.

#18 ·
I use Edmunds to get the info on invoice, dealer rebates, consumer rebates, etc. Here's a couple tips if you're a newbie buying a car:

1. Never go into negotiations letting them know you have a trade. Negotiate the price of the car you want- -
2. Negotiate from Invoice MINUS all rebates- - -yes the dealer needs to make a few bucks, but they also have dealer holdback even if you pay invoice- - - -
3. After you get the price you want, if you have a trade- - NOW you talk trade. Only way you'll ever know what your're paying for the new car and what you're actually getting for your trade.

#21 ·
Not necessarily true.
If you have good credit you'll get a good rate. Ask them if they can get you a lower rate than Chrysler is offering.
I think Chrysler's rate on my SRT is around 4.+%
I'm gonna get somewhere between 1.9 and 2.9 for 72mo.
My Jeep had .9%

#22 ·
I visited a popular dealership in my area that had the most Challengers. Huge selection. Salesman was young but nice.

Price of car was $2500 more than advertised.....$100 for nitrogen in tires, $500 window tint, $250 door sils. Etc etc.

After looking at their offer I was literally laughing at the salesman. $725 doc fee?? $200 for a 4 oil change special? All added to the already ridiculously inflated price.

I started a negotiation but soon realized it was futile. Their tactics were borderline criminal.

Ended up at a dealer 3 miles from my house. Paid under invoice, free nitrogen for life of car, four free oil changes, no add-ons to the car.

Do dealerships lie? Probably more often than they tell the truth.

#24 ·
Chrysler already gives you four free oil changes. I got my oil changed for free from a dealer I didn't even buy the car from, Steve White motors.

The $200 "4 oil change special" is nonsense and may actually be criminal. So they're getting paid by Chrysler to do the oil changes, and then they turn around and charge you $200.

#23 ·
$100 for Nitrogen??????
As soon as I saw that I'd be out the door.
$200 for 4 oil changes? That's a special? It sounds more like a special screwing.
Yet someone will walk in there and buy it and think they got a good deal.

#27 ·
Check out TrueCar.com. I printed off a TrueCar certificate for a dealer 40 miles away, then went to the "one price" dealership down the street to see if they could match the TrueCar price or come close. They matched it then added $200, but it still was a grand under invoice. I took the deal.

Another place dealerships will prey upon the uninformed is in the finance room where they sell you all the add-ons for clearcoat, underbody rustproofing, fabric/leather seat protection, extended warranties, etc. Just say no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.