Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dealers holding firm on SP pricing

15K views 157 replies 37 participants last post by  Yahooligan 
#1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that, due to the popularity of the SP model, dealers are holding kind of firm to the MSRP pricing on these cars? Usually you walk into a dealership at the end of model year and you can get them to give you the price you want, all while fetching you a coffee and massaging your feet. Not on these cars!

There is a local dealer offering $3,500 off a B5 Blue SRT (A8, nav, sunroof, tech package). I can't get anything near that on a similarly equipped SP. It kind of defeats the purpose of the SP when dealers price them close to an SRT. I don't need the extra goodies of the SRT, but if they're similar in price I may as well do it.

#2 ·
You can always order a 2016 and get a good price. I'm paying 1% below invoice for mine.

Reactions: MN-ScatPack
#3 ·
Yep, find a "good" dealer, and they will place an order for it for invoice or below.

If they tell you anything different, they are just blowing smoke and not a good dealer. I ordered my '16 Scat for invoice, and it'll be here in a few weeks.

Unfortunatley, you have to weed through the BS in order to spend money wisely. Scat's are not staying on lots very long, but ordering one is a completely different story.

Best of luck

#4 ·
It's a hot car, I wouldn't expect anything less from the dealers. But sitting down at the negotiating table is alot different than shopping on the internet or driving through the lots...money talks! I got mine 1% below invoice...have done much better in the past but it was good enough for this car.

#5 ·
I've seen some '15 SRTs being discounted as well - with the MSRP starting @ $47.7k with no options
- add on sunroof, 'auto and Tech Grp pkg, stripes, 3 season tires, etc (and I suspect many are optioned up) those hit 52.6k and they don't move as quickly.
-dealers probably want to get inventory moving and not continue to pay interest or tie up capital on slower moving inventory.

The range of flexibility of options (as few or as many) gives buyers a wider range on SP models - I'd predict that SP models will outsell SRT 392 models. And thus, dealers probably don't sit on SP models very long - I imagine demand is pretty brisk on those.

#6 ·
Yeah, SPs move quick but there are still dealers willing to make deals. Before I ordered I spotted a '15 on a dealer's lot about 3 hours from here, built exactly as I was going to order, and he was willing to do employee pricing on it. I wasn't ready to pull the trigger so I passed, about 2-3 weeks later it sold.

Just have to find the right dealer. :)

#9 · (Edited)
Im getting well below invoice for a '16 Charger SP. I shopped 20 different dealerships in a 150 mile area. The second closest dealership to me gave the best deal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

20 dealers!:surprise:That must have taken some time:wink3:

I didn't mind paying invoice at my dealer, as they are the ones who are going to be servicing it, and have taken care of me quite well with my first Challenger. We've got a good relationship with each other.

I was in and out of my dealer in 15 minutes when I ordered. That said, I'll beat the heck out of them about the extended Bumper to Bumper warranty, or I'll buy it online.

But you are correct, there are dealers selling cars, and not BS'ing folks for retail.

#10 ·
I'm with the groups that says you can get them under MSRP...I 've got multiple quotes showing supplier price is doable...(still holding out for more though)

The 15 is a year old now and 16's are on the truck and winter is a coming.

#11 · (Edited)
Just got a quote from the local dealer. MSRP for B5 SP with auto, sunroof, nav, leather, forged wheels, Sound Group 2, and driver convenience group is $46,365. Offer to me of $44,208 plus tax and tags. Add in my USAA $1,000 rebate and that makes it pretty palatable. I could possibly do better but I'm tired of hunting around and dealing with dealerships, and I like the idea of getting it from the local guy who will service it. Unless something screwy happens by Monday, I may be joining the ranks of those who are waiting on order updates!

Reactions: 19johned53
#14 ·
I think you have to be a member for something like 30 days before you can get the discount.

#15 ·
I bought the only Scat Pack my dealership ordered for 2015. I think they may have been afraid the model wouldn't sell. They gave me a nice discount and I imagine they wish they'd ordered more than one. They moved a lot of R/T and SXT models, but only one SP and they didn't order a single SRT in 2015.

#16 · (Edited)
1. Get the truecar price online
2. Call the dealer and tell them you want it for a bit cheaper than that amount. Negotiate but dont go higher than the truecar amount (including ALL dealer fees but minus taxes). Verbally agree on the amount.
3. Go to somewhere like creditkarma and get an idea of what your interest rate will be on a car loan
4. Go into the dealer and start the process of purchasing the car at the agreed upon price. If they try to finance it with a higher rate than step 3, tell them you will just finance it online.
5. Usually they will match the rates to make the sell.

Im not saying this is perfect, but it worked for me :) I told them i would finance with them on step 2 and they agreed to a great price. When they tried to give me high interest rates I walked out and called back a day later stating I would finance online because i was approved for x%. They told me they had "new rates" open up from their banks and I bought the car that day with a great interest rate.

also this was a dealer who didnt want to budge very much on the price of the car due to it being a limited release and all black model. Ordering was not an option at the time as well.

#17 ·
We're above MSRP on ALL the Hemi Challengers we sell at the Dodge dealer I work at.....just sold a Scat Pack for 8 grand over MSRP.

#18 ·
I'm surprised you're selling anything with those prices. :notallthere:

#34 ·
There are almost no "year end deals" on the Challengers this year. Reason, no changes in the 2016 models. So, no reason to price a new 2015 lower then a new 2016. That being said, there are, obviously, ways to talk down the prices, including joining Tread Lightly to buy the care at 1% under the invoice.

#39 ·
That's not why there's no "year end deals".
There's no year end deals becasue the Challenger sold VERY well this year due to the redesign of the interior, sales were WAY up this year so there isn't a surplus of Challengers to sell.

#36 ·
Frankly Socal,car salesmen are unnecessary in this age. Shoppers can find everything they need on the internet and imo lot salesmen are a fountian of misinformation and deception. Savvy car buyers dont make great deals because they forced the dealer to make the deal, they just avoid paying for overpriced profit padders and pay what the market will bear. Your four square tactic is a remnant from a prehistoric era in carbuying. Those guys in the back office making deals over internet are the future. I imagine it must be frustrating watching sold deals pull on the lot that walk right by you to see your internet guy,never giving you a chance to confuse and mislead a buyer with salesman smoke and mirrors. If your upset about educated buyers and your job doesnt pay enough anymore due to the evolution of the car buying process,then maybe you should go sell real estate. I got a 40 percent discount on my house from the seller (from what he paid).You would have still made your commission no lying nessesary! Best of luck to you in the future im sure you and i and the rest of the smart car buyers here will never have the distinct pleasure of meeting you.

#38 · (Edited)
Frankly Socal,car salesmen are unnecessary in this age. Shoppers can find everything they need on the internet and imo lot salesmen are a fountian of misinformation and deception. Savvy car buyers dont make great deals because they forced the dealer to make the deal, they just avoid paying for overpriced profit padders and pay what the market will bear. Your four square tactic is a remnant from a prehistoric era in carbuying. Those guys in the back office making deals over internet are the future. I imagine it must be frustrating watching sold deals pull on the lot that walk right by you to see your internet guy,never giving you a chance to confuse and mislead a buyer with salesman smoke and mirrors. If your upset about educated buyers and your job doesnt pay enough anymore due to the evolution of the car buying process,then maybe you should go sell real estate. I got a 40 percent discount on my house from the seller (from what he paid).You would have still made your commission no lying nessesary!
I am those guys in the back office.......all our salespeople are internet sales also, we do it all front line walk in customers and online buyers and phone sales.
BTW.....I've met real estate agents that lie through their teeth, and I don't lie to my customers.
I tell them I'll do everything I can to get them the price they want and I do, but I don't make the decision about what price we sell the car at, my manager does.

One thing I've learned, I've only been selling cars for a couple months although I've been in sales/customer service just about all my life.
Car buyers LIE just as much if not more than car salesman do!

#40 ·
Don't worry there is ALWAYS year end deals....especially on an aged generation like the Challenger lol...

#43 ·
Many interesting comments on this thread. Each metro market is different. There are about 1.5 million people in mine. At the time I bought my Scat Pack in April, Scat packs were sitting on showroom floors an average of 15 days. Only a handful around at any given time. They mostly sold at full sticker. I checked several dealers over a few weeks and talked to a few of them. None were sublime. Could not find one. Most were granite, B5 blue or black. I got mine for 5.3% under sticker. I was VERY SPECIFIC about getting a sublime Challenger. Did I get the best deal? Yes. Could I have done better? No. Bottom line - regardless of what you paid, you did very well. You have a modern Dodge Challenger. Its a freakin' hoot! This ain't no Honda! YOLO!

#46 ·
Here's a serious question for you. Would you feel OK if your mother came into your dealership to buy a car? If not, why not? Also, if not then why do you work there?

Then again, some salespeople don't care who they rip off and would happily overcharge a family member. A dollar is a dollar, am I right? ;)

#47 · (Edited)
Here's a serious question for you ....what do you do for a living?
Would your company give away whatever they sell or produce to YOUR Mother?
If not why do YOU work there?

To answer your question , yeah if my Mom came in she'd get a discount, but they wouldn't give the car away and I wouldn't expect them to.
They're in business to make a profit NOT lose money, maybe the company you work for is I don't know.
I do know the dealer I work at has been in business almost 100 years so they must be doing something right.

BTW...you like to throw around words like "rip off" and "overcharge" just who decides when someone is being overcharged or ripped off?
Who decides what price is fair??
Here's the answer....the CUSTOMER decides when they agree to purchase the vehicle.
What one person considers a decent or good deal another bonehead will say "oh you were ripped off, you should have got it for this much".
If the customer is satisfied then it's a "good" deal, THEY are the ones who decide.

#61 ·
I've read every comment in this thread. If you remove sides, slanted views, percentages and everything else, you're left with the free market system.

Whenever I make a purchase, I know that it's my responsibility to get the best deal that I can. Period. No one owes me a dime and no one owes me a free ticket to a great deal. All of that rests on my shoulders and contributes directly to the overall supply/demand curve for whatever product I'm purchasing.

We live in a capitalist system. It doesn't matter if you're buying from a scumbag or a nun; he who has the gold makes the rules.

#62 ·
I've read every comment in this thread. If you remove sides, slanted views, percentages and everything else, you're left with the free market system.

Whenever I make a purchase, I know that it's my responsibility to get the best deal that I can. Period. No one owes me a dime and no one owes me a free ticket to a great deal. All of that rests on my shoulders and contributes directly to the overall supply/demand curve for whatever product I'm purchasing.

We live in a capitalist system. It doesn't matter if you're buying from a scumbag or a nun; he who has the gold makes the rules.
But if the salesman is a scumbag it's still OK for the rest of us to call him a scumbag, right?

#65 ·
I went to four dealers, gave them my ordering specs on a 392 Shaker, gave them my price (invoice), never heard back from any of the four. I got lucky and found a 300 mile SRT used that was a killer deal and cheaper than a Scat Pack so I went that route. I have never seen dealers so lax about trying to sell a new car. Tells me they had no interest in invoice pricing sale. I will not pay MSRP.

One of the dealers I have purchased 5 new cars from since 2011. Time to rethink any further purchases there!!!

#68 ·
Time is money for me. On a 40k car transaction it is definitely worth shopping around. A car transaction is more complicated than buying a lawn mower due to trade ins and financing. Dealers try to pad their profit in all three areas. They also make money servicing the cars they sell, which many other retailers don't. I don't know too many new car dealers that aren't making a ton of money in the current economy. When I bought my SP I worked with 3 dealers primarily online and ordered from the one that offered the best deal simple as that. I got a good deal, they made a profit and we both won. The two that I didn't make the deal with lost the sale. I ordered the car so it was a sure thing, maybe they thought they could get a higher price for their allocation if SPs also work that way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#69 · (Edited)
I'd like to say that I hate salesman in general but that's because I own a business and deal with snake oil on a daily basis. With that being said, Mr. Cali has his hands tied behind his back. Pricing isn't always about selling to the public at the cheapest possible price. It could all depend on how many cars this dealer sells a month or for the entire year. They're not just providing salaries to the salesman, they're also paying insurance, commie taxes, utilities, licensing fees, advertisement costs, the other employee's that make your experience at their dealership special,whats the closest competitor, how many potential customers are in your local, and the list goes on.

but..... I'd never pay over MSRP for a car. I also wouldn't live in Cali either.:scratchhead:
Once I get back from the sandbox a PCP Challenger SP will be on order >:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.