Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Do pickup owners really think they have a chance???

11K views 88 replies 52 participants last post by  Litos 
#1 ·
Do pickup owner really think they have a chance to win a red light run??? I've had two different trucks try to run me this past week. First one was a F150 Ecoboost, yep no contest as he stayed 2-3 car links behind. Then a dodge ram Daytona tried TWICE this morning, there was no contest there either as I was sitting at the next light waiting for him to show back up. I own a 11' Ram as well with a Hemi and 3.92 gears (it's quick for what it is), but you won't see me trying to run a challenger, mustang, or a Camaro.

Just wondering if its just me or others have seen this as well???

#2 ·
I used to go to car hang outs back in the day and famous last words of a mustang owner was...."it's just a truck" There are some extremely fast trucks out there.

9 times out of 10 they just wanna give it a try. I'd usually stay side by side with em to mess with their head then throw it to the floor.

Prime example. My brother owns a new AWD Escalade. He also owns a 900hp C-10. He swore up and down he could beat me. I didnt even mess around and just annihalated him by about 10 bus lengths.

#4 ·
too many people internet race and they try it out in real life and ususally lose the race. I can't tell you how many times someone has tried to race me our outrun me when I had my 2006 GTO. They typically were imports for the most part and were easily defeated. I especially like it when I'm challenged when I'm a 67 10 sec GTO. :)

#5 ·
Yeah, I understand if someone has supercharged, turbo'd, or dropped a bigger motor in it, but these guys/gals that throw a CAI or exhaust on their truck and expect to be able to blow your doors off... It just makes me laugh!!!

#33 ·
now I have heard the same thing about challenger/mustang/camaro owners who think they are fast because they
threw on a cai and cat back.

#6 ·
Think its more a "Texas" thing as I had trucks galore want to race my 09 BB, tho none of them realized it was a V6 in 08-09. But have noticed EVERYONE (except LEOs) stays away from da PCP Challenger with trucks, still get some fun with Cobras and 302s! ;)

#8 ·
i have noticed Toyota owners are getting worse than honda. at least where i live.

#10 ·
I've had big truck guys try to race my littlle 2.0L VW GTI (210 HP Turbo). I smoke them every time. It's a power to weight thing. Their dreaming if they think that they can beat a Challenger.

#11 ·
Do pickup owner really think they have a chance???
Hmm do challenger owners really care if pickup owners really think they have a chance?
Do Mustang owners really care if challenger owners think that pickup owners really have a chance?...now THAT is the real question that needs to be answered now...we need polls, focus groups, brainstorming sessions STAT

#13 ·
I had some guy in a turbo diesel (lifted, naturally) pickup try this - I think it was a Ford that tried this.

I just looked over and laughed. I'm not doing that on a city street - he may think he's fast, but over 6,000# of 4x4 truck? Not...

There's a fair number of farming towns nearby the town where I bought my my truck - so there's a few 'good 'ole boys' that have something to prove...as maturity hasn't quite sunk in yet.

#14 · (Edited)
LOL, yeah... it happens a lot here too. I don't know...you got those guys that probably never been in a sporty car..around 500HP, so they think that what they got is powerful. LOL Oh well...can't blame them for wanting to have a little fun.
There is a road that heads west of town here and it goes thru other suburbs. Its got several stop lights and a 55MPH speed limit, so as long as your not getting crazzy and squeeling them all over the road, its OK in my book. Doesn't take long to get up to 55

#17 ·
The only people that even want to race me are in pickups. One mustang tore by me once and the car behind him was a state trooper. So far I haven't given in to anyone...but I have shown cars that feel like they can try to pull up in traffic so i can't get over know that they don't have much of a chance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#19 ·

It all depends on how much money you put into the car. Some trucks are just stupid fast, but normally it's some idiot who has no idea what he's up against. One time at a red light someone in some lifted ford truck yelled to his friend next to him so I could hear it, "I know I'd smoke this piece of **** challenger!" The light turned green and I spun the hell out of my tires and it still wasnt even close lol fast trucks are pretty rare

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#20 ·
And then there's the laws of physics involved with stopping said 6K# of hopped up truck.

Many owners spent the $$ on the go-fast(er) portion and ignore the brakes...since stopping isn't as showy or much fun to brag about.

Around here the vehicles that are first spun out on icy / snowy roads...4 x 4 trucks. See them in the ditches a lot. Confidence > reality.

Just because they can take off quickly in those conditions doesn't defy the laws of physics (and limits of traction) when they need to turn or stop.

#21 · (Edited)
man I had a Nissan Cube try and race my once...

naturally he was left in dust but then I slowed back down adn was cruising and about a minute later he flew by me with a snide comment hahah I think he thought he won a minute later.

In any case I think some people pretend to want to race to see how fast your car is. I dont normally race but I lined up next to an 03 cobra and I knew hed be faster but I gunned it off the line to see how much faster he was.

I'd guess people just want to see how fast your car is, probably because they can't get a fast car cause they raced everyone

#23 ·

Those Cummins can get pretty radical with little modification... I've seen it. However the transmissions aren't exactly bulletproof. But at the end of the day it's a 7000lb truck. A utility vehicle meant for pulling heavy loads(for a 1-ton anyway). NOT a performance vehicle.

There are a lot of twisty two lane roads around where I live, and I absolutely love it when a pickup driven by some ****** thinks he can hang with a STP equipped Challenger R/T.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#25 ·
I had a guy in a ford lightning pulled out behind me and was running real close so I sped up a little and he just stayed right there, so I figured he wanted to play so I proceeded to put quite a few lengths between us and he couldnt keep up, now I will say the road had some ups and downs and a few light turns so he may just not have had the courage to push it but on the flat straights I would slow a bit and allow him to close up a bit and then be gone again. I have seen some modded cummins' that would smoke all but the fastest challengers but you put a turn or two in there and the truck would be screwed! I also second the comment that I think most people that obviously know they stand no chance just do it to play and see how fast the car is... its a rare day though that I'll get into it on a public road, just not worth the risk or the ticket, thats $ I could be spending to make it go faster at the track!

#76 ·
Like a Rolling Stone !!!

#30 · (Edited)
I took my Pontiac sports car to my local dealer today.

No picture, but sitting in line for service was a teal colored 1957 Chevy Nomad with white interior. The hood was up. Imagine my surprise when I saw the engine bay stuffed with a 6.2L Chevy LS9 supercharged mill. He would take you. 638 HP. 604 lb-ft torque. It is just a question of if he can hook it up. From a roll, geez. Armageddon. No way it could weigh more than 4,000 pounds with the LS9 aboard.

#31 ·
I had a ram Daytona trying to run me once. I didn't fully engage, but launched at the light and hit 60-70 much quicker than he did. He pulls up next to me and says "that charger has some balls!" I just shook my head and let him have at it when it turned green. What a ******.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.