Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dodge Barracuda Conv

11K views 76 replies 30 participants last post by  hemisrt 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Believe it when I see it.

#4 ·
Looks like a Charger and an 80's Camaro .....had a baby.

#8 ·
Yargggh - that was one rendering they shouldn't have put up.

Indeed, a Gen3 F-body meets '11 Charger + early 90s Dodge cross-hair grille.

that rendering looks like a concept ca. '92/'93.

That's slightly worse than the blue 'concept' car that was floated around a couple years back as an SRT only 'Cuda - which didn't happen.

They should leave the ugly styling to Nissan - they've held that crown for a number of years.

#5 ·
Another article...

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles [NYSE:FCAU] is currently holding its dealer group meeting in Las Vegas, during which it's showing the people who sell its vehicles the future of the company. Late last night our sources informed us that a new Barracuda is not only coming, but that it was shown in convertible form.
For years the return of the Barracuda nameplate has been teased. First, it was to be an SRT-only special model when the performance division was a standalone brand. When SRT was folded back into Dodge most assumed the Barracuda project was dead. Just two months ago we learned that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles had filed a new trademark for the Barracuda nameplate with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Yesterday, a new Barracuda was rolled on stage in convertible form. Our unconfirmed sources tell us it looked good, though they aren't sure it will make it into production as a convertible. It's supposedly lighter, and smaller than the Challenger.
To put it in perspective, we were told it was a 7/8-scale Challenger in terms of size.
While this is sure to anger the enthusiast masses, we are being told the new Barracuda will wear a Dodge badge.
Sources couldn't confirm what platform or powertrains would make up the Barracuda. But based on information from previous reports, we believe it'll be based off of the new rear-wheel drive Alfa Romeo Giulia platform.
With a predicted launch time frame of 2019 or 2020, it's possible that the Barracuda might not be powered by a HEMI, but in fact, a twin-turbocharged V-6 in top form. This is due to the latest word that all HEMIs—including the supercharged Hellcats—will die from SRT products by the 2019 model year.
In addition to the Barracuda, we were told a new Challenger ADR (American Drag Racer) with 315s on all four corners and rumors of up to 1,000 horsepower was shown as well. Alongside that was a Challenger T/A road course car with upgraded suspension, no rear seat (unlike the Challenger T/A concept that's been shown before), and blacked-out top graphics.
Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.

Barracuda Coming Back As A Dodge?

#10 ·
I'm having trouble believing that Charger picture, my son has a 10 something year old Hotwheels charger that looks identical to the photo. Why would they bring that Bugger back.
SRT Barracuda :thumbsup:
Dodge Barracuda:werd:

Nothing is sacred anymore, nothing!

#11 ·
The Hemi is going away after 2018! They are going with 4 cylinders and 6 cylinder cars. Sounds like the 1980's all over again and we know how that went! I sure hope this is not true but hey my 7 SRT's just became worth a boatload in 2018!

#12 ·
Well, this seems to jibe with previous reports about the current Challenger hanging around at least until the completion of the 2018 model year. Good. I'll definitely have worn my wife down by then, so I can be assured of owning this lovely V8 beast before they kill it.

It'll really suck if the new Barracuda and a Charger come only with six cylinders.

#13 ·
That is the word. No more V8's after 2018! Unreal and sad!

#16 ·
I love old and new Mopar muscle and typically I fall on the "don't touch it" side of things, but in the case of the Barracuda nameplate in this case I can live with/get used to "Dodge Barracuda". While I would prefer to see it back as a Plymouth, I don't think FCA is going to bring back Plymouth to sell one car. Should be fun way to end the latest muscle car era if that is the way things truly go.

#17 ·
I love old and new Mopar muscle and typically I fall on the "don't touch it" side of things, but in the case of the Barracuda nameplate in this case I can live with/get used to "Dodge Barracuda". While I would prefer to see it back as a Plymouth, I don't think FCA is going to bring back Plymouth to sell one car. Should be fun way to end the latest muscle car era if that is the way things truly go.
Then bring back the Plymouth name... and the Roadrunner too.

#20 ·
Maybe Chrysler will set another precedent in the performance car world and integrate an electric motor onto the Hemi's replacement, offering an "eco-friendly" (if you will) performance car with outstanding power output even in the lowest rpm range.

If we approach this subject from an unbiased view and consider current engine technology and future emissions standards, a change is warranted. Modern V6 engines are capable of producing horsepower and torque values superior to some of the mightiest V8s of the past while offering excellent fuel economy and low emissions. V8-engined performance cars account for a small percentage of global vehicle sales. In my opinion, the modern Hemi owes its continued existence to truck production. As soon as Chrysler develops a smaller displacement engine capable of the same horsepower and torque values suitable for truck duty (similar to Ford's Ecoboost), the V8 Hemi will slowly disappear. Whether it's Chrysler, GM, or Ford, the first to develop a small displacement (or hybrid) engine capable of extreme power output (i.e. Hellcat level) and fuel economy with low emissions will set the new standard for future performance car powertrains.

Reactions: pdx.challenger
#21 · (Edited)
I want you to think of this from an engineering point of view. An engine is nothing more than a big air pump right? So if you strap another motor in conjunction with a v6 or 4 cylinder you are defeating the purpose. Add the weight of batteries and you are right back to the same space and weight of that big ole Hemi. Think about it this way too. Ford has decided that the next generation Ford GT super car is going to be a 6cyl twin turbo. Ok it's cool and it makes only 600 horsepower. Now imagine if you took the Hellcat engine and instead of slapping on a supercharger you make it a twin turbo. How much power do you think that baby will make?? I'd say an easy 900 to 1000 horsepower without breaking a sweat! Remember the engine is nothing but an air pump and however much you can force in is the amount you have to combust and push out quickly. It all goes back to the old saying "no replacement for displacement" :nerd:

#28 ·
I assume this supposed trend of abandoning v8s only applies to cars. No way Dodge is going to abandon the v8 powered Ram, or likewise Ford with the Fx50s

#29 ·
I assume this supposed trend of abandoning v8s only applies to cars. No way Dodge is going to abandon the v8 powered Ram, or likewise Ford with the F150s

Right now for the F150's Ford offers 3 V6's (two of which are Ecoboosts) and one V8, the 5.0.

For the new Raptor for 2017 Ford is getting rid of the V8 6.2 and replacing with a new Ecoboost V6. If you go on the Raptor forum there are many guys who will NOT trade in their older Raptors for a newer one just because they want the V8, they feel that if any truck deserves a V8 it should be the Raptor. Plus add in more complexity for a purpose built off road truck, some folks don't want that turbo Ecoboost 6 cylinder.
Even though the new Ecoboost will out power the out going 6.2 V8, it does not matter, some just will not buy it.

Will Ford replace the older V8 5.0 with that newer (Raptor) Ecoboost for the rest of their truck models? Time will tell.

#34 ·
I'd like to see some concept pics when we get a little closer to actual release date. I would "consider" a non V8, but only in a ragtop..something that looks half decent and is nice to cruise around in...but it WONT be a true muscle car without a V8.

As for the truck issue..BIG (straight maybe) 6cyl diesel? I know diesel is a hard sell in North America (but not so much for trucks as cars)..I bet a big six in a truck would put out 500ft lbs without breaking a sweat.

#38 ·
We buy new ones all the time...Kenworth or (gasp) even Volvo lately.......they are more sophisticated than most cars. They were all computerized years ago and have cutting edge fuel and torque management and so on. Some of the autos (we bought one to try out) have their own transmission brain that works in conjunction with the other black boxes in the truck.

Honestly, the technology is mind blowing if that sort of thing turns your crank...so interesting!!

I bet with the right tuning that 420 could hit 520 easily...not that you would need it, just saying.

#37 · (Edited)
I'm sure it can do more than 30 but do you really think you need an 18 wheeler engine in a 1/2 ton pickup? What are you planning on pulling, a house? It does have a 9000lb tow rating BTW although its 0-60 time is around 9 seconds . If you really want a bigger diesel though they still have the 6.7L Cummings Turbo diesel w/750 TQ available in the bigger models if you really want to pull something.

#42 ·
No, never tracked it.
It was not 120 hp by the time I was done with it ;)
It was factory under-rated at 140hp.
Once you stripped off the emissions pump and cats, tossed on some headers and a carb on it, it did a good bit more than that 140hp ...in a car that light, it was no slouch.

#46 ·
Aw Jeez!..MY EYES!!!!!

I was 20yrs old when they came out. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry....

#49 ·
This is my version. I think they are missing the boat and what people really want!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.