Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dodge called. Wants to buy my car. Advice welcome

14K views 110 replies 43 participants last post by  NotFastEnough82 
#1 ·
Woke up with a voice mail from Carl burger dodge in San Diego that said they're vip manager is interested in pre owned challengers and is giving "really good offers right now" and if I'd be interested in hearing his offer.

Why not. So I called back and set an appointment for Friday to see what he has to offer. I'm sure I'm gonna get a low blow which is expected but I am tired of getting beat at the track and tossing the idea of a SCer or cam and heads. but right now im not financially able to throw down 10k or 5k on those mods. So the only way I'd consider is for a trade for a 392. I know there's three core models there but there 6 speeds and I want an auto.

I love my car now. I'm about to throw down a couple grand on looks but I know in the end I'm more about performance and with hardly anyone backing up a big cam and heads on the RT that might be the only way I'd sacrifice.

Idk what do you guys think. I've never kept the same car more than two years but at this point of my life I'm set on the challengers looks. It's THE best looking modern muscle car out there. Nothing compares.

KBB says its worth 28600$ TRADE IN
it's got 21k miles its an rt plus with every option available.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
Give it a shot, worst thing that happens is you go home and continue to enjoy your car. In 2006 our Infiniti dealer called and wanted our 2003 G35 coupe. They said it was easier to sell a used one than a new one and would we be interested in trading for a new one. I went and looked and they hit the numbers I wanted to see for ours and a new one, so we left that night with a 2006 model. If you don't like what they offer, just walk you are under no obligation.

E

#4 ·
My dealer didn't call me, but I got a "coupon" in the mail saying they wanted my Challenger and would pay "up to" $30,000-something for it. Of course, the fine print says that price isn't for MY model and to use the mail offer to get some "extra" money over a "normal" offer.

Yeah...right...extra...that's funny. :)

#6 ·
Yup, common ploy dealers have been using for the last couple of years. They try to make it sound like you have a particularly "hot selling" car that they will give you top dollar for cause they can't keep them on the lot.

Of course, as others have already said, it's just a way to get you into the dealer to temp you with bright shiny new objects.

Nothing to see here, move along....

#10 ·
It's a common "cold call" tactic for dealers. I remember calling up 05 Mustang owners in 07 and I hated it. BTW, I didn't sell a single car from the calls. Not only are they not going to make you a "great deal", I probably wouldn't buy from that dealer anymore. Do they also offer an "environmental protection package"?

#11 ·
I appreciate all of your guys constructive criticism lol.

I guess I will have to see if a miracle happens on Friday. I'm no sucker to car salesman and maybe I will get lucky and come home in a brand new 392. One can dream

#13 ·
If trading up is the only way out for you, go for it, lets see what he offers as a trade value only (get this before you look at anything new, I wouldn't even talk about trading or test drive anything on the initial visit. See what he says, can warn you it won't be where you think it should be, but I've gotten decent offers on cars before. This notice or call is just a sales technique to get you to come in though. Once you know what they'll give you then you can go back after you've had time to "think about it" Justifying a car to someone is fairly easy to do, upselling is also fairly easy, just beware of walking into the cougar's den. (sold cars for a while earlier in life)

Reactions: challengeRRR
#14 ·
Woke up with a voice mail from Carl burger dodge in San Diego that said they're vip manager is interested in pre owned challengers and is giving "really good offers right now" and if I'd be interested in hearing his offer.

Why not. So I called back and set an appointment for Friday to see what he has to offer. I'm sure I'm gonna get a low blow which is expected but I am tired of getting beat at the track and tossing the idea of a SCer or cam and heads. but right now im not financially able to throw down 10k or 5k on those mods. So the only way I'd consider is for a trade for a 392. I know there's three core models there but there 6 speeds and I want an auto.

I love my car now. I'm about to throw down a couple grand on looks but I know in the end I'm more about performance and with hardly anyone backing up a big cam and heads on the RT that might be the only way I'd sacrifice.

Idk what do you guys think. I've never kept the same car more than two years but at this point of my life I'm set on the challengers looks. It's THE best looking modern muscle car out there. Nothing compares.

KBB says its worth 28600$ TRADE IN
it's got 21k miles its an rt plus with every option available
Can't blame you for wanting to upgrade. I did it. Loved my RT but felt exactly as you do about the track. If you can get a great deal at the dealership go for it......but like others have said don't expect it. The 392 is a huge upgrade. You wont be sorry if you make the trade for a 392.

I bought both of my Challengers used. Both of them have been outstanding. Bought neither of them from Dodge dealerships. Got the same kind of offers you did both by mail and by phone.

If you can except a used car, that might be the way to go....... here is my thread about doing the same thing you are thinking of.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/trade-up-ho-rt-gwe-srt392-94290/

#15 · (Edited)
Now if I get, say 28k from them and owe 26k on my current car what should I ask for a brand new 392?
I looked at there inventory and they had a core model for 41k. I want to keep my payments close to 500. Would this be possible?

How should I approach this. Say I'm interested in a trade up only. See what he offers to buy my car before I say I want a certain amount ...

#16 ·
You are going into the shark pit so be ready. There is nothing wrong with trading up if that is what you want to do. And sounds like more power is something you want so why not go look and listen. REMEMBER LOOK AND LISTEN. Don't go in thinking I will get a deal I can not refuse. You can always go back. So make your mind up what is the least in a car you will accept, options and all. What is the maximum my payments can be AND for how long. Just how much a month is not enough, you know your current financing and decide how much difference from there is ok. Remember that is just a gauge, still look for a good deal without financing first. Then after all is said and done being power is your driving force here, think if I put away so much a month for so much time could I then mod mine to the level I want. Is that a better and more econimic route? I think when you think of what you already have in yours which is some way sweet mods, which you loose when you trade, maybe continuing to make the one you have what you want it to be then look at what this deal will cost you.

#17 ·
I completely agree and have put some decent money into my car to make it mine but wont get close to a 392 power without SCing and coming up with 10 grand or waiting till next year for the vortechs and maybe save a little but by then ill have 30k more miles.

My ultimate goal here is getting 500rwhp so I can surprise a buddy with a cts-v. I've already gone to carmax and they offered not enough. I wanted to upgrade to a 6.1 but I'm a fender away from beating those at the track (stock) .hopefully I can pick up a 392 for a good price otherwise ill hold onto my rt for a year and see what the new Hellcat looks like.

#19 ·
Doesn't dodge still have the $2000 incentive? If you are a USAA member you get a discount. Start low, can't go down when negotiating. I low balled them with my car & settled on an awesome price. If you don't like their offer, go to another dealer & have them work against each other. Also, if you go home & wait, they will call back after a while looking to do a better deal. Good luck.

#20 ·
You can get a Core with auto - its an option. They have 2 at a dealership that I've been dealing with - both under $40k internet price.

#21 · (Edited)
Any dealer can call or write as much as they want..........I waited so many years to order, buy and mod the car of my dreams.

I don't race.....I cruise and drive, that is all, I did not buy this car to sell it at the first chance I could. I see a lot of members on here, always looking for the newest and fastest thing, and that is their choice of course. I am a regular working man, with a family, I bought my Challenger R/T, because I fell in love with the car it is. I will keep it as long as it runs and the factory / aftermarket offers parts for it, that is just the way it is. I am modding it to my taste and likes, not anyone elses.

I stuck with cars from the 60's and 70's for years because they had the styling I desired. There was a long period that cars that I could afford, just did not look great, so I waited. Then the Challenger came back in a style that harked of yesturday with performance of today..I am happy.

Dealers; I will visit, I will look at the new stuff you have..... I will even stop by for scheduled maintenance to keep the car running and in top shape....but I will not sell it back to you, trade it in or let you borrow it.

I am a very happy and satisfied Challenger R/T owner.

#22 ·
I've gotten "buy- back" offers for the last 3 cars I bought because they were such "hot sellers" and they couldn't "keep them on the lot"...they "NEEDED" my car. Now that I think about it, that can't be coincidence...I sure can pick 'em.

I'm outta here...headed to the horse track to pick some more "winners".

Seriously tho...the most difficult part of selling a car is getting people to the lot. Dealers will do WHATEVER it takes to get you there. Then they do whatever it takes to keep you off of the "be back bus". It seems to me you've pretty much made up your mind. Enjoy the new SRT.

#23 · (Edited)
see below....

#25 ·
It is a very common sales gimmic practice all dealers use.
There is no money in new cars because of internet and
availability of invoice info and such.
There is no way of you ever knowing what the dealer paid for the used car.
So they are always trying to get clean used cars in and lowball customers
with the idea that we will give you a new one for your old one for
same as or close to you current payment. It is a bunch of horse$h!t if you
ask me but, they are running a business and need to do whatever it takes
to stay afloat. They did it to me from Downtown LA Porsche for our Carerra.

#36 ·
It is a very common sales gimmic practice all dealers use.
There is no money in new cars because of internet and
availability of invoice info and such.
There is no way of you ever knowing what the dealer paid for the used car.
So they are always trying to get clean used cars in and lowball customers
with the idea that we will give you a new one for your old one for
same as or close to you current payment.
My daily driver is a 13 year old 4 door sedan. I still get letters from dealers telling me that my car is "in short supply" and that they are "desperate to buy more of these models". :liar:

#26 · (Edited)
There are 2 keys to getting a great deal on a new car. PurplePrincess mentioned the first where you need to find 2 or more dealerships to fight against each other on pricing. The second key is, only talk "drive out" price. Tell them you want tax, tag, title, etc included in your discussed price. So many times people think they are getting a great deal only to sit there and watch the total get inflated with all kinds of fees. Then they are too ashamed to say they can't afford it or don't like the price and get stuck with it. Don't let that be you. I'm 25 years old and I was afraid I wouldn't be taken seriously when I went in there. I made sure I stuck to my guns and I paid well under MSRP as my all inclusive price...and I ordered my car. You have to make some cold decisions because if you let emotion into it, you're done. Save all of the emotion for the drive home with your new car.

#28 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I don't think I've 'made up my mind' but I absolutely will keep my emotions in check. I can make them sweat just as they do to there customers. I've been looking to upgrade to an set for awhile now. I love my rt to DEATH. if I was able I'd prob throw twin turbos in it but it is my daily driver and I'm 75% performance and 25% looks.

So what I'm getting from you is tell them I want a trade up for an SRT and a deference between the two of 10k? So that's like them buying my car for 28 and selling me there's for 38? Right? I saw a black 392 for 41k maybe they'll bite. Or maybe go to carmax cus they have the 392 I want. Who knows. Ill go in there expecting the worst and hopping for the best. After all it's a win win cus ill be coming home in a nice challenger one way or the other.

#33 ·
Thanks guys. I don't think I've 'made up my mind' but I absolutely will keep my emotions in check. I can make them sweat just as they do to there customers. I've been looking to upgrade to an set for awhile now. I love my rt to DEATH. if I was able I'd prob throw twin turbos in it but it is my daily driver and I'm 75% performance and 25% looks.

So what I'm getting from you is tell them I want a trade up for an SRT and a deference between the two of 10k? So that's like them buying my car for 28 and selling me there's for 38? Right? I saw a black 392 for 41k maybe they'll bite. Or maybe go to carmax cus they have the 392 I want. Who knows. Ill go in there expecting the worst and hopping for the best. After all it's a win win cus ill be coming home in a nice challenger one way or the other.

The dealer has more of what you want than you having what they want. It's THEIR decision to accept any offer you make so the whole situation is in their control. You need to have a very indifferent attitude while there except I think you're already getting excited at the thought of an SRT in your driveway. I just sent the link of this thread to my brother in law who works in Ford sales and he said he doubts you'll get your way in a deal like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.