Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dodge Challenger 2010 Updates

5K views 44 replies 35 participants last post by  Justinec101 
#1 ·
This is from Allpar, Dodge Chrysler, and Jeep website:

Dodge Challenger gets a new Plum Crazy(possibly Detonator Yellow)color late in the year and five speed replaces the four speed automatic. The long rumored 6.4 may finally show up for SRT, perhaps midyear, if it does expect it in the Charger SRT and 300 SRT, etc. One anonymous source claims Hemi Orange has been dropped.

#2 ·

Dodge Challenger gets a new Plum Crazy(possibly Detonator Yellow)color late in the year and five speed replaces the four speed automatic. The long rumored 6.4 may finally show up for SRT, perhaps midyear, if it does expect it in the Charger SRT and 300 SRT, etc. One anonymous source claims Hemi Orange has been dropped.
If that doesn't put a freeze on SRT sales till the 6.4 comes out, I don't know what will.

#5 ·
LOL, don't count your chickens until they hatch-it says maybe. Which is interesting, when I was dealing with my dealer on my Challenger order last September before everything went south for me, told the me the 6.1 won't be around for the 2010MY. I guess we will see.

#12 ·
that would be awesome if chrysler finally up'd the SRT motor. if im not mistaken, there are various setups of the 6.4L being tested. i heard the most likely street setup would be around 520hp and 510tq. this would give the best all around performance for the fuel mileage. dont hold me to that, its just what i was told

#13 ·
I think this is the best move Dodge can make, I LOVE the challenger, however it has been getting some bad press when they stack it up to the camero and mustang. (don't hate, it a fact) This is a VERY smart move, if memory serves, when Dodge was late for the muscle car wars, they showed up with the MOST HP in the challenger right?
Do you all think they will put the 6.1 in the R/T? It would be great if they put the 6.1 in the challenger R/T and left the 5.7 in the charger......I've been hearing the 5.0 is coming back in 2011....great timing if this is true!!!

#14 · (Edited)
It would be great if they put the 6.1 in the challenger R/T and left the 5.7 in the charger
Sorry, but I have to totally disagree with this. I would be more than PO'd if this happened. I didn't spend the extra money for an SRT to end up with an R/T. This would be similar to what happened back in 2001 when the the first Z06 w/385 hp was released followed the next year by the release of the 405 hp version. Many, including me, were very pissed.

If this happened I would dump this car in a heart beat as its value would drop dramatically. And, I would probably not replace it with the newer version as I'd feel betrayed by Dodge at that point. Again, I think this would be a huge mistake.

I'm actually hoping they bring out the 6.4 in the form of a T/A.

#15 ·
Ohhh a 6.4L in any color will look great next to Roxie!!! I still whatn sublime green but I'd take yellow or purple if thats all they got!

I am gonna try and hold out until next spring/summer and hope Dodge pulls through for me!

#23 ·
Ohhh a 6.4L in any color will look great next to Roxie!!! I still whatn sublime green but I'd take yellow or purple if thats all they got!

I am gonna try and hold out until next spring/summer and hope Dodge pulls through for me!
Steve, go with the Yellow or Green, just can't picture you in purple, especially with Roxie around!

#16 ·
2010 upgrades

Was all this R&D RE; 6.4 liter motor BEFORE Chryslers financial trouble?? do you think it will still be a reality? I was hoping for Sublime Green if I decided to buy.:bigthumb:

#17 ·
I just ordered a '10 last week. VON is issued but its not in D1 status as of yesterday. Dealer said I can change anything up until D1 status.

The only change I want to make is to tear up the order, and wait for CONFIRMATION of a 6.4 option. It will probably be $50,000+ and not available with a manual. Dodge really needs to clarify this issue before buyers like us take our $ elsewhere.

#19 ·
Exactly!!!
SRT Dodges $40K and up(6.1),now a poss 6.4???We can only speculate HP #'s,but it most surely be tapping the $50K mark,and again the dealers will be gouging the consumers for mark up's!!!!
I lurked around the new Camaro forum,and saw them having a track thread,and how suprising is it that they are also having tons of members reporting there times not being what they had expected.Testing showed 12.9- 13.1 @ 111.00 in stock form,fastet one I found (stock)was 13.37 @ 105 change.All of these testing affileates sound like they are working with the manufacturers to boost sales!!!! Before I bought my 09 RT 6speed,I watched Edmunds testing video,and they reported 14.1 @108.NOT EVEN CLOSE mph wise!!!!Then they changed it later to 13.8 @ 106 !!!!WTF!!!!
All these high estimated HP #'s and the cars don't run what we all know they should for having that kind of power.Even they(Camaro forum) have said that the 2002 Camaro SS rated at 320 HP,was doing 13.0 ,and honestly have a friend who has one and I can confirm this.All this HP later,what has happened????
To me ,the baddest one of the bunch is the SRT Jeeep GC with their AWD,can 60' like a raped ape and give you a factory 1.7-1.8 resulting in low 13's.When I lurk around their forum,way more avgeraging in the 12's with mere items done.
What I am getting at is they may come out with this 6.4,and tell us a HP #,but for that kind of $$$ to spend again,it better be way into the 12's right out of the box.
What they should do is engineer a motor with lower comp and stick a SC on from the factory and show power like the GT500,and when we do simple mods(pulley for instance)we can "FEEL" the power by the seat of our pants,not just throw it on a dyno and see 7-10 HP from a tuner or CAI.Too many opinions conflicting about mods done on our challys,some say "feels like it added 100 horse!!" and others saying it felt slower.
I know our challys are heavy but,these kind of HP numbers should be pushing these faster than they are reportedly going,IMO,so if a more powerfull motor is needed,then build it!Just make it comparable to other manufacturers, Dollar to HP number.
Did'nt mean to rant,sure it sounded that way.

#20 ·
Ok, all of you folks that will line up to trade in your lowly 6.1's and such, list all of your mods so that people like me who aren't trading in can buy stuff before you trade in as you wont need it any more.

#21 ·
i doubt the 6.4 will happen....

#22 ·
The thing to note here is the lack of posts from those members who claim to be in the know and have provided accurate information in the past. I'd love to hear a yeah or nay from one of them. The 2010 feature list release recently didn't say anything about a 6.4 and I can't believe that it would just appear halfway through a model year.

#24 ·
Well speaking from this side, I can say that I've never claimed to be "in the know" (even though I sometimes am LOL). I was the one who posted the detailed 2010 features list, which represents what will initially be offered. There will be changes later in the model year, such as another color choice or two. You're right about a mid-year engine change being unlikely, as that rarely happens. The 6.4L is still "on the schedule", and last I heard was planned to launch in the 2011 Challenger. There are some sort of plans in the works for a "40th" anniversary model, but information is being kept very tight. A "40th" edition would have to be the 2010 model year, and I believe that they will stick with the 6.1 throughout the 2010 model year.

#25 ·
Last I heard the 6.4 was for 2011 as was the new V6 engine as well. I seriously doubt they would put a new engine in midway in a model year myself too. I heard that the 6.4 MPG efficiency would be slightly better than the 6.1 probably one reason to go that route for CAFE. I would imagine it will be pricey as well as others have stated. Are you guys serious you'd trade in your Challenger SRT-8 just to get another one with a 6.4? Wow, take a huge loss on an awesome car for an even more expensive car just with a three tenths of a liter bigger? Wish I had your $$$$$$$$.

#29 ·
I seriously doubt they would put a new engine in midway in a model year myself too.
Why would anyone find such a thing hard to believe? :icon_confused: It's not like it hasn't happened before - when the 5.7 Hemi came out in the Ram in 03, it was a mid-year addition (the first 03s still had the leftover 5.9s). When the 6.7 Cummins came out in 07 it was a mid-year addition... I could site many more examples - such a thing is hardly a rare phenomenon.

#27 ·
6.4L Challenger Price Point

I know a lot more about marketing and advertising than I do about the "serious cartalk" I enjoy reading in this forum and my best guess is that a 6.4L version "T/A" or not would end up in the range of $55-$60K, maybe slightly higher. Dodge would thus have the typical SRT8s priced mid to upper 40's, R/T mid to upper 30s and S/E mid to upper 20's.

Another thing will most likely happen though, limited production, NO price breaks whatsoever and likely well over Sticker. Just think 2008 SRT8 and that will be the deal.

You'll probably be able to get one, BUT you'll shell out significant coin...

#28 ·
:bigthumb:maybe I shouldnt buy a new SRT8, maybe I should wait & get a GREAT deal on someone's "gently used" '09 6.1L...when they need to have .3L more!!

#35 ·

I dont think dodge released a 4 speed auto. My R/T is a 5 speed auto.

6.4L would be cool to see around. I know i cant afford one, But dream I will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.