Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Drove 2015 Lime STP RT 8 speed.

10K views 82 replies 25 participants last post by  Currybob 
#1 ·
Just drove a Sublime 2015 RT+, STP, 8Spd- with leather. Wow

Impressions- First, i checked the paint and body for flaws. It's important to check the hood "box", or the area that frames the hood on all 4 sides for squareness- remember this. This car was perfect in both paint and body fitment.

Wow is all i can say. Then new seats are fantastic! They finally go horizontal, and really fit you well, they have a feel of quality, which i couldn't say of my '13s seats! Gauges were smaller then i expected, but look great when lit up, and the center screen is cool. You can also now adjust the steering wheel to near flat and still see the gauges. Finally a challenger you can steer. Whole dash works together great. performance pages are cool

Now to the car feels really 'Tight', STP really works, The 8 spd really helps the 5.7 realize what it can with the power available. It put the performance into the 'just acceptable' range to me, and with the coming upgrade to 415hp, this car will finally realize near perfection. Or actual perfection. or damn close.

I see a B5 415 HP RT STP A8 Shaker in my future. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
You lost me at, "with the coming upgrade to 415hp." Do you know something I don't know, because this is the first I've heard anything about an increase in HP for the 5.7 in the near future.

#6 ·
He meant that he was going to "modify" it to get it to 415 hp.

#4 ·
Just drove a Sublime 2015 RT+, STP, 8Spd- with leather. Wow
I see a B5 415 HP RT STP A8 Shaker in my future. :thumbsup:
I drove one last Fri. too when I had my car in for warranty service getting rocker panels replaced, I was looking at the new Sublime R/T and a salesman insisted I drive it, it was really nice, but not a game changer, and even if they do bump the HP the auto R/T's still have the peg-leg rear with no anti-spin option yet as far as I know so that is a killer.

#33 · (Edited)
I thought they all had LSD's now?
Nope....LSD no longer available on 5.7L automatics.
All Challengers burnout with 2 black stripes, regardless of the rear axle option. If you paid for lsd, you got ripped off. :p
randycat99....Tell that again to this guy leaving single lines and embarrassing himself at the dragstrip!!!!

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/worried-about-differential-13-rt-297874/

I still say it's a must have option for auto's.

Reactions: ViperTomcat
#7 ·
All Challengers burnout with 2 black stripes, regardless of the rear axle option. If you paid for lsd, you got ripped off. :p

#11 · (Edited)
#14 ·
The Dodge Challenger and Ram 1500 Could Get a Much Needed Bump in Hemi Power - Torque News

"" My sources have indicated that the 5.7L Hemi engines being tested right now offer “over 400 horsepower” and “more torque than the current Challenger R/T”. Even if the new 5.7L Hemi only jumps to 410 horsepower and 425lb-ft of torque ""

Should be in the 405-415 range, and soon. - as in 6 mos.
I posted this link the other day as a sarcastic response to someone who said they "heard" there would be a bump in horsepower but wouldn't give their source. The author of this particular article has been known to get things wrong quite oftent.

Based on your other threads here, please just get a Scat Pack and be done with it. That will for sure get you over 400.

#12 ·
Article stated with in the next couple of model years.

#13 ·
Late '15- Summer? MY16? soon.

#15 ·
The 8 speed made the RT 'just' viable, it was fun to drive. With the coming bump in HP, the RT is gonna be spectacular!
See ya on the road!!!

#26 · (Edited)
I agree Dodge may upgrade the 5.7 at some point, but that isn't a sure thing and who knows when it could happen. The big downside I see to even a 400 hp 5.7 A8 is it will still be slower than a 5.0 Mustang. Based on your signature line about "pure power, pull over please" I'm thinking you really need a Scat Pack. Then it will be the 5.0 pulling over, not your "just viable" 5.7.

I realize the Scat Pack is more $$$ and may be a deal breaker just this second. If I was in your shoes, I'd just wait a year and save the extra money and get that Scat Pack. The SP is clearly the best bang-for-the-buck Challenger, and we are already seeing low 12 second passes with nearly showroom stock cars. Tune and DRs and looks like 11's will be possible in good conditions.

How much for the Scat Pack? From Dodge.com, a base R/T with A8 and Track Pack is $34,585. Base Scat Pack with A8 is $39,890, so that is a $5,305 upgrade. I'm guessing you would rather not get the Brembo brake upgrade that comes with the Scat Pack, but that is about a $1,800 upgrade based on what Ford charges for the Performance Pack. That means you are paying about $3,500 for the 6.4 and 112 extra horsepower. So just about $31 per extra horsepower.

If you could mod a 5.7 and add 10 hp for $310, most people would consider that a great bargain. But that is the price per pony you are paying with the Scat Pack.

Bottom line: save up the extra $5,300 and then let the Mustangs fear your Scat Pack. The 5.0 is going to be faster than even an improved 5.7, and my guess is deep down that is going to bug you. In the long run, it will be cheaper to save up for a Scat Pack.

Your money, your car, your decision so I will get off the soapbox. But at least test drive an A8 Scat Pack before making a purchase.

#20 ·
Allpar has reports of the 5.7 getting upgrades too.

Someone mentioned in another thread they thought the "Scat Pack" stages were testing the waters for a 5.7 upgrade, and I think there is some merit to that.

If a 5.7 power upgrade does come down the line I would not expect it to be drastic, there is only so much they can do with it to keep it out of GG territory and meeting emissions and long term parameters etc. Remember they still have to warranty the powertrain for 5/100,000.

If the 5.7 gets a bump, I would put my money on 400 HP and 425 TQ. That would only be a 25hp bump and a jump of 15 tq (25 with the auto). Is more possible? Sure, but I would be surprised, because even 415HP would be a jump of 40hp.

#23 ·
You might be on to something. For 2015 there was talk early of a 5.7L SXT so maybe keep the 5.7L at 375 in the SXT and base R/T, then bump it up on an optional 5.7L for R/T. The hi po 5.7L could be standard on the 5.7L Shaker and extra cost on the R/T. Just might work.

#24 · (Edited)
It would follow Dodge history with the Challenger. In 1970 you could get a non R/T Challenger V8 with the 318 or 383 2bbl. The R/T got the 383 4bbl and upwards.

I could easily see Dodge doing a 5.7 SXT @375hp/400 tq and a 5.7 R/T @ 400 HP/ 425 TQ.

I'm more than likely going to buy a 5.7 R/T anyway, as I think the 392 R/T is just going to be a bit beyond my limits (both $$ and I cannot justify it). An A8 5.7 STP R/T with 400/420-425 would fit the bill nicely.

Reactions: Slidd
#27 · (Edited)
Allpar has better info with an updated date of 11/25/14:

Upcoming Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, and Jeep Powertrain: Engines and Transmissions

"A revised, naturally aspirated Apache 392 Hemi with higher power ratings is under wraps for calendar-year 2015, according to one source, along with an Eagle 5.7 Hemi upgrade slated for calendar-year 2015.

Chrysler may work on a new V8 family once it finishes work on the new four cylinders and on power boosts to the V6 and Hemi V8. The Hemi itself will continue for the foreseeable future, with a power boost rumored in the next year or three."

I'll add, it's been demonstrated to me at least that the M6s are running 385-390 hp stock and close to 420 lb's of torque. It wouldn't take anything particularly fancy to get over 400.

#28 ·
Allpar has better info with an updated date of 11/25/14:

Upcoming Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, and Jeep Powertrain: Engines and Transmissions

"A revised, naturally aspirated Apache 392 Hemi with higher power ratings is under wraps for calendar-year 2015, according to one source, along with an Eagle 5.7 Hemi upgrade slated for calendar-year 2015.

Chrysler may work on a new V8 family once it finishes work on the new four cylinders and on power boosts to the V6 and Hemi V8. The Hemi itself will continue for the foreseeable future, with a power boost rumored in the next year or three."

I'll add, it's been demonstrated to me at least that the M6s are running 385-390 hp stock and close to 420 lb's of torque. It wouldn't take anything particularly fancy to get over 400.

Nope, not hard at all.

Allpar usually will not post something unless they trust the source. They were pretty much right on about the 392 power ratings and close on the Hellcat.

#31 ·
Imagine - Barrett-Jackson - year 2040 - $1m for a 20xx gas powered Hemi Challenger - seriously, who would hate for that to happen?

For those of us who endured the abysmal automotive years - 1970 (last street Hemi) through 2003 (first Gen III 5.7) - we are living in a true horse power renaissance era.

Get'm while you can!

#34 ·
It's pretty sad when you have to upgrade all the way to a 392 R/T to get a LSD with an automatic. Ford made LSD's standard on the Mustang in the early 90's..apparently it's still a bit of a reach for Mopar.

#36 ·
230mm rear axle standard on all Challenger V8's but the LSD is Hellcat, SRT, Scat Pack and M6 5.7L R/T only. LSD cannot be ordered on any vehicle, it is included with above models only and cannot be had on the 5.7L automatic.

#40 ·
Ouch, but I understand!

You paid more than I did but at least you got a sweet ride!

#44 ·
47,001 + tax and title.

A8
Tech
Roof
Nav

I guess you were meaning me

#46 ·
There were many of us that posted on the SRT ordering thread that got 1% below invoice on pre-sold orders.

I called around till I found a dealer and he said no problem and ordered it.

I had purchased from this dealer in the past. Could be the area where I live. I didn't have any special plan or any type discount like that.

#53 ·
That is were it went. Sounds like they did discount it but put in the negative equity she had in her vehicle. I'm sure you could easily have gotten $3k off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.