" ECO " (economy mode) on VIC !!! - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
" ECO " (economy mode) on VIC !!!

My 09 challenger R/T never displayed that 'fuel saver mode' anywhere on the VIC or with the average MPG display, althought the owner;s manual said it will kick into 4-cyl mode when cruising. I've seen some discussion of others doing the same thing, wondering if the MDS is working, etc.

But....that car got rear ended and was repaired, but I got a good offer from out of state and sold it. Just picked up my new B5 R/T Classic (and it's awesome, btw...). Now THIS new car shows the letters "ECO" very frequently on the VIC between the compass and temp, usually when maintaining the same speed. When I check the average MPG, it will say "Fuel Saver Mode (or something like that) above the average MPG.

So why does this new R/T Classic do that, but the last R/T never did? Does this mean the MDS was never working as some here have suggested? Or did Dodge make a change that now makes the MDS work efficiently?

(FYI, I had to go 1300 miles from home to get this car, excellent deal, exact options I want. I'm halfway home with it, and average MPG is 27. I do take it easy the first 500 miles, vary speed, keeping it around 55-70 mph varying).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 AM

Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I never get "ECO" letters in my R/T, and from what I can tell, the only time "fuel saver" shows up in the hidden menu is when my foot is off the gas and I'm coasting...
Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 AM

Must be with Classics or certain build dates. I have the basic dash and Automatic. Build date 03-09-09.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 AM

This eco mode issue seems to come up every once and a while on this forum. It seems like some cars have the display for eco mode and some dont. One theory is that 2009 R/T's built in 2008 dont have the ECO display and that is started showing up in R/T's built in 2009.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 AM

I have the ECO thing on mine. I also have the electronic convenience group. Build date is 4/17/09.

You also have to be using 5w-20 oil for the MDS to function.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by TommyGNR View Post
This eco mode issue seems to come up every once and a while on this forum. It seems like some cars have the display for eco mode and some dont. One theory is that 2009 R/T's built in 2008 dont have the ECO display and that is started showing up in R/T's built in 2009.
Yea, thats my understanding also, my car was built in August 2008 and it doesn't have the Eco/fuel Saver mode as a display within my Evic
Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by ChuckG View Post
I have the ECO thing on mine. I also have the electronic convenience group. Build date is 4/17/09.

You also have to be using 5w-20 oil for the MDS to function.
re: "You also have to be using 5w-20 oil for the MDS to function"

Is that true?

You mean MDS can be "disabled" just by using a different weight oil???

Interesting if true.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 AM

Photos: (7)
Send a message via Yahoo to SteveRT09
Look at the born on date on my car below... I have the electronics convenience package and ECO MODE shows up. It more likely depends on what display you have it set at. Just like when I showed a fellow R/T owner how to display his digital speedometer... He's had his car as long as I have and never knew it was there.
Aftermarket: AirbrushDynamix/MGP/K&N/Gina's Embroidery/BT/Petty's Garage/Mr Norms/ACC/
Rebadge/3GCustomz/MCG/AR Chrome Torque Thrust M 20's Warm Weather/OEM 18's Off Season
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Masked Man View Post
re: "You also have to be using 5w-20 oil for the MDS to function"

Is that true?

You mean MDS can be "disabled" just by using a different weight oil???

Interesting if true.
That is correct...you need 5w-20 for the MDS to work. I first saw this over on the 300C forums a couple of years ago and I also believe that there was something mentioned about it on the R/T board. And Jack, the tech that works at Fredericks, mentioned it to me as well while getting my oil changed.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 AM

how do you get the digital speedometer on an R/T classic to work it is fully loaded ?

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.