Environmental protection package: get it or don't - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Environmental protection package: get it or don't

I bought an 09 SRT8 last week and they sold me an environmental protection package for 1400 bucks. They put a paint protection, interior protection and an undercoat on the car. It covers acid rain, bird crap and all sorts of things for 7 years. The interior for stains and such for 7 years and the underbody for lifetime. I was talking to a co-worker today and said dont do it, its a scam. I did research and got mixed reviews on it but decided to try and stop it. I called and they said that they already ordered the products in my name and they can not be returned. So does anyone have any experience in this who can tell me if it is BS and should be able to say no and get my money back. I did purchase the service seperately from the car loan. Or should I just take it and get it done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM

Photos: (19)
Snake Oil... DO NOT GIVE THE DEALER $1400 for something you cannot see.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by 1HotRod View Post
Snake Oil... DO NOT GIVE THE DEALER $1400 for something you cannot see.
I agree. Nothing but additional profit for the dealer.

2014 R/T Classic
Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by challengerman09 View Post
...they sold me an environmental protection package for 1400 bucks...
Unfortunately, you just got scammed by the oldest dealer trick in the book.

"Paint Protection" packages are always listed as one of the top scams to avoid when buying a new car. The only places that say it's not a scam are the sites on the web selling their own "magic paint sealer."

Did you pay for this outside of your car's purchase contract? If it's part of the purchase order contract that you've already signed, you may be screwed.

Hopefully you put it on a credit card and can stop payment. Don't believe for a minute any horsecrap about "we already bought it and can't send it back." That junk is sitting in cans out in the service area. They probably buy that sh*t by by the truckload.

Damnit this sh*t pisses me off. I can't believe dealers STILL push this BS in 2009!!!! Be sure to hammer your dealer when you get to rate their service on a survey.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by challengerman09 View Post
...I did purchase the service seperately from the car loan......
Yes, like others said don't do it.

What you said here is important, how did you pay for this? Did they tell you that there was a period of time in which you could cancel. I thinks its BS that they can't return the product. Push the issue, don't let them take your money.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:17 PM

My friend, you just paid $1400 for a coat of wax and a can of Scotchguard... the exact same things you could have bought at Pep Boys for a mere $10 (for both items...).

Not to pour salt in an open wound, but I sure hope you've learned something from this (let this be a very EXPENSIVE lesson...)
Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM

I did not get it myself, but it should not be for nothing. They usually warrantee your paint for a long time when you get that protection. If you get a chip or something like that they are supposed to repair/repaint for free. Same with your seats, if you spill something, they clean them for free.

Look over your contract and see what is covered. I have a bunch of rock chips I had to fix myself. I believe the protection will cover those.

Also if you live near the water, they protect against premature rusting. Check your documentation and make sure you keep it. Hold them to it if the paint gets messed up!

Mods: Centric Brake Pads, Mopar T-Shifter, Mopar Racing Pedals, Mopar Sill Guards, Sequential Taillights, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Manual Hide-Away License Plate Holder, Weather Tech Car Mats, AFE Stage 2 CAI, Magnaflow 16885 Exhaust, Modern Muscle 87mm Throttle body, Custom Tune by http://www.dtpracing.com/
Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM

Mine tried to sell it to me and then asked why I didn't want it...didn't I care about what my car would look like in a few years. At least they backed off when I said NO
Old 06-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I had the same "high pressure" sales pitch from my dealer. They weren't too happy when I said no. The same dealer also tried to sell me an extended warranty and a service plan. Anything to get another buck out of a customer.

There's a sucker born every minute. P.T. Barnum

Max Power: 652 rwhp Max Torque: 635 ft-lbs Boost: 15 psi

Performance Mods:
Techco 3.0L SC, Techco Strut Tower Brace, DiabloSport Custom CMR Tune, HHP/BES Stage 2 Heads, HHP/BES Camshaft, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust, Hawk Performance Brake Pads, Hurst Shifter
Old 06-10-2009, 05:28 AM

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.