Dodge Challenger Forum banner

ESP is there for a reason....use it

22K views 172 replies 76 participants last post by  Yahooligan 
#1 · (Edited)
ESP is there for a reason....use it; a lesson learned

use it, keep it on, dont deactivate it, don't **** with it. I ****ed 2 rims and 1 tire up tonight and somehow didnt damage the body. I effed up the alignment though. No one was hurt, nothing was damaged (aside from the explained)

I didn't romp the gas too hard on the turn or atleast i didnt think i did and that was that. I didnt want to spin out rather it was just a mere curiosity.

I am not religious but tonight i am saying a prayer. Lesson very well learned and have gained a lot of respect. Call it an epiphony, one to change my entire style of driving. I need to slow down. Why rush?

Drive slow and take care of yourselves. Don't be careless. I was given a second chance for some reason and I am learning from it. If you want to **** with your ESP, go to a vacant lot with nohing in your way, light posts etc or a track even better. Don't try it on a public road, it isn't worth it.

#2 ·
Good advice, ESP has saved my a$$ more times that I'd like to admit.

#3 ·
Duh, smart enough not 2 take it off with objects around me. Didn't u just get your car with the help of your grandmothers will?

#4 ·
I've never had an issue with ESP off from a stop, but I'm used to high HP RWD cars. Where ESP has saved me is hitting the twisties HARD. Right after I got my new back tires on (Hankook V12's) I did a few runs around the back roads and thought I had myself situated to the difference in traction since I kept my stock from RSA's (not bald yet).

Went into a long sweeper way too hot and ESP did what ESP is supposed to do... Kept me from plowing :)

#5 ·
I didn't romp the gas too hard on the turn or atleast i didnt think i did and that was that. I didnt want to spin out rather it was just a mere cur
Why would you romp the gas on a turn? Never accel in a turn and why would you do it with ESP completely off in our heavy boats?

Sent from my Samsung Srt8 skyrocket

#9 ·
Why would you romp the gas on a turn?
Never going into a turn, but coming out of a turn can help get the rear back in line. Plus, it's one of the most fun aspects of owning a powerful rear-drive car. Just know your and your car's limits.

#6 ·
use it, keep it on, dont deactivate it, don't **** with it. I ****ed 2 rims and 1 tire up tonight and somehow didnt damage the body. I effed up the alignment though. No one was hurt, nothing was damaged (aside from the explained)

I didn't romp the gas too hard on the turn or atleast i didnt think i did and that was that. I didnt want to spin out rather it was just a mere curiosity.

I am not religious but tonight i am saying a prayer. Lesson very well learned and have gained a lot of respect. Call it an epiphony, one to change my entire style of driving. I need to slow down. Why rush?

Drive slow and take care of yourselves. Don't be careless. I was given a second chance for some reason and I am learning from it. If you want to **** with your ESP, go to a vacant lot with nohing in your way, light posts etc or a track even better. Don't try it on a public road, it isn't worth it.

lmao...the only way I whip my Challenger is with that damn ESP crap off, that's the only way it's any fun imo. The thing is you gotta know how to drive, I'm used to bringing a car on the ragged edge of out of control then bringing it back , my form of driving is "stab and steer". You can't just be a poser with a shiny whip, you better know how to drive that bitc& too. It sounds like your car got away from you. Get some skills bro and try it again. Sorry about ur car tho what a bummer.

#7 ·
An sooooo humble about your godly driving skills too...

Your awesomeness is overwhelming :bowdown:

#8 ·
What lol,,I messed up a couple cars when I first started driving that got away from me, that's how I learned. But ya my ego drives better than I do.

#13 ·
^ LOL. That's funny.

Amazingly enough cars used to come out with an ESP system called a gas pedal. A lot of us learned to drive our cars using the gas pedal to control torque and acceleration. Some of us learned to drive high-horsepower cars using the gas pedal to control the car rather than relying on a computer system. Granted, the ESP system will do its best to save you from a bad situation if your driving skills causes you to get in a bad situation.

#14 ·
Today's cars are more forgiving than older cars. We have so much safety built in them it takes away all the driving experience. I cut my teeth on high power rear wheel drive nose heavy muscle cars from the late 60's. Most of those did not even have the things we have gotten used to such has power brakes, power steering, or even disc brakes.
The modern electronics on today's cars are there for a reason, use them, especially if you are not used to driving a high powered ride on the street.
My advise would be find some driving events in your area attend them and learn the limits of your driving and of your car, next time it might just save your ass.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#15 ·
it is the most powerful car i have owned. Yes you can knock me for being inexperienced and doing what i did last night was stupid and curiosity got the best of me. Not to mention every car i have owned so far was a FWD car.

Please dont flame me for my mistake, it was a dumb and dangerous mistake.

Anyone know where i can get replacement rims online? The local dealers are all backordered with no ETA and are like 500 a rim.

#25 ·
You're getting harangued by some snobby know-it-alls. I'm sure they've done some idiotic things. Don't let those boneheads get to you.

Even in a straight line and at speed these cars can go sideways if you punch it. Our roads have a pronounced crown to aid in rain runoff. Some of these roads are worse than others and look humped. The crown alone will pull the back of the car into a ditch or the curb. If you don't know how to correct the steering and feather the throttle, you could be in for trouble.

Yes, you may need a little work on your skills. We all do. I could use some instruction, too -- and I've been on road courses many times. In Portland, they have a car control class that teaches you how to handle a car that is out of control. Driver instruction courses to get your license do not teach this stuff. They only teach what you need to know to pass the test. Maybe you have one in your area. I know I'm investing in this course when each of my boys gets to driving age.

https://www.prodrive.net/programs/car-control-a-defensive-driving-course

#16 ·
Yea. I agree. You need a drifting lesson. Lol. I didn't know how to drive until I sold my second car and drove my big block chevelle in the winter of 2001. I turn my ESP off and skid all the time but I can control it. I got sideways once in a back road in the rain but didn't hit anything. Practice makes perfect

#18 ·
i always leave mine on...ive taken it 1/2 off a few times just to hear the wheels chirp

i like to take sharp 90 degree turns at around 30 mph and then floor it....awesome g-forces.....the car has hopped/jumped to the side a few times, but one time it REALLY Hopped....w/ 3 kids in the back seat it scared the heck out of me....the ESP saved me(and i was counting on it saving me)......i stopped doing these type of turns...even w/ esp on its freaky when your car jumps a foot or 2 during a turn

#19 ·
To the op, sorry to hear about your car. Chalk this one up to a learning experience, although an expensive one. ESP off can be fun with this car but you have to be careful and respect the car. Driving rear wheel drive cars in snow for 30 years has certainly helped me with this car kicking out.

To the guy above that thinks it's fun to drive around a 90 degree turn and stomp on it (hoping the ESP will save them) with 3 kids in the backseat. I'm hoping it was on accident because if you did it on purpose, You are an idiot and should lose your driver's license. Go ahead and risk your life, don't bet your kids lives on you crappy driving skills and a stability program that could malfunction.:SM130:

#20 ·

sounds like you should have bought an V6......dont tell others how to drive just because you made a stupid mistake and scared the crap out of yourself due to your inexperience.

#21 ·
About 1/2 the time I take mine out, I automatically "1/2 deactivate" the ESP when I start it up.

It may be just me, but I can't help but wonder if our cars these days aren't engineered as well as they could be and that's why they are so difficult to control when driving aggressively with the ESP completely off.

Almost like a bandaid over a problem? They can't get the car to handle right, so they create the EPS system to compensate...

Just a thought.

#42 ·
Almost like a bandaid over a problem? They can't get the car to handle right, so they create the EPS system to compensate...
I don't think that was the reason. The ESP system will help save you from a bad situation if you can't avoid getting in that situation. To me its a safety thing just like airbags and anti-lock brakes. Its just another new feature. As far as handling, there is no comparison between ANY of the Challengers and the old "performance" cars.

Recalling in the 70's the "performance" cars were typically large engines stuffed over so-so suspension, with 70's quality tires connecting the car to the world. Handling? LOL, not so much. As irony would have it I'm watching a DVR'd version of GearZ comparing the 70 Challenger to the SRT... in the handling area it's no comparison.

#22 ·
Lesson learned -- respect. Sorry to hear about your car.

As a fellow member posted, try finding a local club or group, preferably a club that auto crosses. Attend a few events and start out with ESP on, gain experience, then switch it off (partially), gain more experience. When you feel you're ready, turn it fully off. Learning in a controlled environment is much more forgiving than on the street. Please don't take this comment as a bashing, but remember, the two most important driving aids are your brain and eyes.

#24 · (Edited)
Lesson learned -- respect. Sorry to hear about your car.

As a fellow member posted, try finding a local club or group, preferably a club that auto crosses. Attend a few events and start out with ESP on, gain experience, then switch it off (partially), gain more experience. When you feel you're ready, turn it fully off. Learning in a controlled environment is much more forgiving than on the street. Please don't take this comment as a bashing, but remember, the two most important driving aids are your brain and eyes.
on the contrary, its not bashing at all! You are lending good helpful advice. That is the reason why i come here, to learn from others, to hear their thoughts, to share my thoughts and experiences and to eventually help others as well.

#23 ·
the car becomes a torque monster at 3500rpm. ESP is on every car now because it really does work, on any car and especially in rainy/snowy conditions.

If you know how to properly drive with ESP off, well go right ahead. Im not telling you to keep it on if you can "drive properly". For everyone that doesnt have the proper experience....Keep it on. It will save your life, your occupants and anyone else around you. Of course by saving your life i mean by keeping it under control when it should be spiraling out of it.

I just ordered 2 new rims, will need to get a tire when it comes in and have the alignment done (probably at good year since they are eagle f1's) and then take it to the dodge dealer to have it checked out afterwards. The cost of fixing here pales in comparison to what could of happened and is the last worry i have. Fortunately I can fix what has happened and it has made me a better person going forward.

Life comes with much learning, to ignore my experience would be an atrocity. I write this story here since we are all a challenger family and we all have had awesome and horrible experiences. I haven't a problem admitting my idiodic and immature mistake. I just hope that it helps saves atleast one other person in here from doing what I did.

On a side note, i should take a driving course to help me better understand how to drive the car better overall. When all of this happened, i romped the gas pedal when i thought i was braking. Its things like that where you freeze up and need not to.

and to Sandshar, yes i was willed money, no i didn't waste it all, i used a small pportion so i could get the car now instead of 5 months down the road. I am paying that money back into my account for the next 5-6 months, now probably longer. I put 15,000 down and financed the rest of it. Of that 15,000, 11,000 or so was my hard earned cash. What i did last night was not a good representation of the money i received.

#34 ·
This may be the best response I have ever seen on this site. Best wishes as you travel the bumpy road of life. From my experience; most motorcycle and car accidents happen while showing off. Easy Does It = Learn it - Live it - Love it! Respect the Beast! :sunny:

#26 ·
sorry to hear about your incident. I drive with esp off and got used to it. Owned quite a few fast cars over the years and what I do is always drive them hard on a empty parking lot b4 getting aggresive. Every car handles different....practice in a safe area first.

#27 ·
I don't want to add insult to injury, but in my 30 years of driving cars, I've never once stomped the gas peddle by mistake (thinking/hoping it was the brake peddle).

Some mistakes a person just can not make. No excuse. Like falling off a train platform, inexcusable.

#30 ·
Could have been a lot worse. I have over 80k on my R/T and I drive with the ESP off 90+% of the time. Only time it stays on is if I forget to turn it off.

Only lost control of the car once, and luckily it was at a sanctioned event.

Last run:

#81 · (Edited)
Could have been a lot worse. I have over 80k on my R/T and I drive with the ESP off 90+% of the time. Only time it stays on is if I forget to turn it off.

Only lost control of the car once, and luckily it was at a sanctioned event.

Last run:
Lone Star Mopar Fest 10/15/11 - YouTube
Great video man.

Your car seems damn fast (faster than mine anyway) and sounds great, and I'm picky about exhaust sounds.

But the real reason I'm posting is I saw the LaTech sticker! :eusa_dance:

Edit to add - Also Chris, do you have any side/front/back pics of your car? or pm me where there are some pictures of it so we don't jack the thread, I'd like to see what it looks like with the 17x9's.

#31 ·
just to be clear, i wasnt knocking you for your mistake...but the fact that you were telling everyone how they should drive their vehicles based off of your mistake..

live and learn, hope you get some new rims. this may be a good excuse to invest in some after markets? sell the other two to recoup a couple pennies.

and dont just leave your ESP on all the time out of fear...do like others have suggested and learn how to control the beast, not just tame it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.