factory alarm system? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
factory alarm system?

hey everyone,
I dont have my challenger se yet but hopefully by the end of the year. But I was wondering how the factory alarm system is? any good?

I know that on my brothers mustang it isnt that great. Some Jack A** tried to saw off his muffler and the thing didnt even go off, luckily he couldnt get the muffler but i digress...

just wondering cuz I know I wanna get the viper alarm system installed just want to know how long i should wait, if at all.

thanks,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:49 PM

(Thread Starter)
Anyone have opinions?!?
#3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine has only gone off from me forgetting about it and trying to open the door. But I try to put a Jedi mind trick force field on the car every time I walk away.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The factory alarm is just the standard "honk the horn, flash the lights" system. I did not feel secure with this on my SRT because too many people ignore these sounds. That is why, I purchased a Ravelco anti-theft device. No car with a Ravelco-installed device has ever been stole. It is great piece of mind for only $300. Highly recommended. See their web site at:

Ravelco Anti Theft Device

#5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 AM

Mine has only gone off opening the doors. I doubt it has any sensors other than door, hood and trunk switches. If you live in an area where people steal mufflers - Trunk Monkey is very reliable. Right now Bananas are only $0.39 / lb.
There are alot of T.M. options.
Here's one...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -Ordered May 15,2008 -
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx BORN on November 13, 2008
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDelivered to Dealer on November 28, 2008
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxBrought Home on December 1, 2008
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPAID in FULL April 22, 2011

#6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:29 AM

Trunk monkey is great stuff.

#7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteTechneek View Post
hey everyone,
I dont have my challenger se yet but hopefully by the end of the year. But I was wondering how the factory alarm system is? any good?

I know that on my brothers mustang it isnt that great. Some Jack A** tried to saw off his muffler and the thing didnt even go off, luckily he couldnt get the muffler but i digress...

just wondering cuz I know I wanna get the viper alarm system installed just want to know how long i should wait, if at all.

thanks,
Matt
I have the Base SE that did not come with the alarm. The Factory alarm does not have any kind of vibration, shock, or glass protection. It basically arms the doors, trunk and hood opening.

I had a Viper 5902 alarm/remote start professionally installed which has a LCD colored 2 way remote. Arms all points of entry and has shock/vibration sensors. Not sure if it is sensitive enough to go off if the muffler was cut off though.

Really like the 2 way remote though. Was able to start vehicle from about 1/4 mile range with obstructions. My only complaint/observation is that the rear defroster was not set up to be turned on by the remote. Plan on contacting the installer to find out why not and whether it can be turned on.

The installer can set the alarm to passively or actively be armed/locked. I had them set it up to arm passively but not lock passively. A few good things I have noticed: If I disarm it, but do not get to the car within a certain time period, it will re-arm and lock itself. If you use the remote start, about a minute or 2 before the 12 minute cycle end, a chime will go off on the remote to let you start another cycle to keep the engine running for a longer period of time. if you want
You can put it into and take it out of valet mode via the remote. I like this feature as other alarm systems I have had you had to put the key on and off and press a button to put it into valet mode and do a similar process to get it out of valet mode. The remote also allows you to arm and disarm without any beeps.

A Ravelco is a better anti-theft device if you are not looking for remote start. But even with a Ravelco a thief can mess up the wiring really bad attempting to defeat the device. I realize that if a professional really wants my car, they will get it and I do carry theft insurance.

Last edited by ONTHEFENCE; 11-22-2009 at 03:38 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Actually the factory alarm does have a shock sensor on it that is adjustable. I have the factory alarm activated on mine.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADTOY View Post
Actually the factory alarm does have a shock sensor on it that is adjustable. I have the factory alarm activated on mine.
I was unaware that that the Base Model SE G package alarm has a shock sensor.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
The factory alarm is just the standard "honk the horn, flash the lights" system. I did not feel secure with this on my SRT because too many people ignore these sounds. That is why, I purchased a Ravelco anti-theft device. No car with a Ravelco-installed device has ever been stole. It is great piece of mind for only $300. Highly recommended. See their web site at:

Ravelco Anti Theft Device
Very cool system not one car stolen is a record unmatched I would say.

Ordered December 15/09
Built March 26/10
Delivered April 30/2010
2009 Hemi Orange Classic order RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode