Fat and Slow? - Page 5 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I race autocross and by that standard the Challenger is huge but then again it's a sport designed for Mustangs and smaller. I had a hard time getting across to a guy at the track once that "Yes, my car weighs over 2 tons". At the end of the day I may not win but I sure don't come in last and I wouldn't trade pink slips with anybody at the track.

2012 SRT8 in Bright White w/ Black center stripes
Stock except tinted windows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostKing View Post
Most of the people making those comments are magazine racers, we have a couple of those here in fact. They see that the Mustang is a tenth faster and the speed racer in them thinks thats the end all, be all so they trash the Challenger. In fact, 95% of the people who buy these cars will never use all the the performance available, but it sounds good at car shows. Neither the camaro nor the mustang have the room, performance, or looks of the Challenger. Ive been in a Mustang for a 4 hour trip and it was ok, but I was ready to get off the road. Do the same trip in the Challenger and you can keep going and going, all the while taking 3-4 other people with you and a trunk full of luggage. You cant do that in a mustang, its a one trick pony, while the challenger is a great highway cruiser.

I think those people are idiots anyway that buy a new car strictly for 1/4 mile #'s. You would be better off buying a $10,000 fox bodied drag car that runs 10's then dump $40 large into a new car to simply drag race.
I could not agree more! Well said RoostKing

RBJ
12YChger-R/T-C

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic - Stinger Yellow
2011 Nissan X-Terra - Dark Red
2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - Grabber Blue
2004 Ford Mustang Cobra / Terminator - Torch Red
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Torch Red
2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Blue
1998 Ford Mustang Cobra - Black
1998 Ford Mustang Cobra - Yellow
1998 Ford Mustang GT - Yellow
1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - Blue
#43 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 AM

for me the challenger is the perfekt car.
i own 2 Mustang 1x 08 Mustang gt and a 11 shelby gt500.
now the 12 challenger rt.
the rt has for me the perfekt balance of Power and comfort.
it has enogh Power for german highways to keep BMW Mercedes audi ect behind.

i Drive in sumer with my girlfriend to italy 1200km on the way i meet a Porsche 911 we pull hard after road work and he can't Drive away. he was that suppriesed that we take over at the gas Station and Talk.
and he was more suppriesed when he saw i hat the back Full with 100 Liter propane tank 4 bags for holidays etc.
i can Drive in comfort in holidays and have fun.

that my 2 cent to fat and slow

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#44 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Mustangs may weigh less, but I hate going out to dinner with a lady who "just has the salad..." As in many things, a few pounds and a few curves makes for a better experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lanzz For This Useful Post:
USRWDV8 (12-10-2012)
#45 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I never thought of Mustangs or Camaros as muscle cars--not in the original sense of the term, anyway. Not 100% sure a Challenger is either, really, but closer. A Super Bee was a muscle car (big engine in a b-body Coronet 'family' car), the Challenger (e-body) was designed as a pony car (like the Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, etc.), no?

2008 SRT10 Viper Coupe - sold
2011 392 Challenger - traded
2009 SRT8 Challenger - traded
2006 SRT8 Magnum

I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam

#46 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM

Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
I race autocross and by that standard the Challenger is huge but then again it's a sport designed for Mustangs and smaller. I had a hard time getting across to a guy at the track once that "Yes, my car weighs over 2 tons". At the end of the day I may not win but I sure don't come in last and I wouldn't trade pink slips with anybody at the track.
It's like Dirty Harry's .44 mag. Not the most practical, concealable, easy to control, or full of ammo gun out there by far... but when it went off at the range or on the street people took notice! If you can handle it (and you sure can - I saw your vids), a large powerful car gives a hell of a show on a tight course.
If I lived at the track I'd own something else, but I don't and the Challenger is very livable for everyday while perfectly able when it comes to kicking butt - an awesome compromise. It just requires a bit of manhandling and gusto in the twisties; ain't nuthin' wrong with that...
#47 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I think you're confusing the Challenger with this:

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic STP, sunroof, tint, 430 rbz, 3.92 gears, 6 speed.
MODS:
Zoomers catback exhaust
AFE Stage II cold air intake
Barton short throw shifter
Fastman ported throttle body
Diablo CMR tune by Johan
Mopar hood struts
Mopar strut tower brace
Spohn sway bar end links
Speedlogix rear adjustable control arms
Speedlogix tension bars
Jet 180* t-stat
SRT8 6.1 chin spoiler
Billet Technology catch can
#48 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 PM

Haven't bought my Challenger...YET....but its because of the "negative" comments about the Challenger are the reasons why I am buying one. Been researching the Mustang, Chaly, and Camaro for the past six months and made my decision. Plain and simple.... 6 speed, v8, RWD, Hemi, comfortable and most of all....LOOKS BAD AZZ.

Its funny about a lot of the comparison reviews I read where they place the Dodge in third place but yet most of them say that if they had to have a daily driver and go on long trips...the Challenger would be the car they would take. Its because of the size...that makes it comfortable.
#49 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Our cars are heavy ,but so are the ZL1 and the GT500. They corrected the problem by adding power instead of dropping weight. That's easier to do with current platforms.

I have to say though, from owning a 2010 GT500 with 540HP that my Yellow Jacket isn't much slower and many have proven that they will even run faster at times. To me the difference in 1/4 mile times between these cars doesn't mean much for an everyday driver. If I was drag racing every weekend, well then I wouldn't have any of these cars because there are much lighter and less costly options to go fast down the 1/4 mile.
The SRT8 brings much more to the table for everyday driving than the other two for me.

It's the media that has people brainwashed into thinking these cars are slow, fat and don't handle well. I was one of them. I never gave the Challenger a chance because of everything I read. I got lucky that the stars lined up right for me to bring home a Yellow Jacket and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by STINGER392; 12-10-2012 at 12:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to STINGER392 For This Useful Post:
USRWDV8 (12-10-2012)
#50 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,133 Posts
That's the problem with reviews: people are more concerned with what others will think of their opinion than with telling the truth. So that their own choices (what's really telling) have little to do with what they recommend to others. There's a lack of perspective in most reviews and it's exploited by the makers of flawed products: make the car 1/10" faster than the rest, for example, and they'll have to give it first place regardless of its shortcomings. The number is all that people (YouTube kids) will remember. I was watching a bunch of old Challenger clips yesterday and someone said, "You can't test a spec sheet", and it's very true. The boy/bench racers mentioned earlier do that all the time, though, and this is why they should be ignored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode