Dodge Challenger Forum banner

First oil change. Metal shavings in oil filter.

14K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  gearset807 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok....not sure if this has been talked about our not. I just had my first oil change at 1700 miles and my mechanic brought to my attention metal shavings in the oil filter. It is not just between a pleat or two in the oil filter. Most of the pleats in the filter have at least one. He advised I should take it to the dealer and ask them. But I thought I'd also see from the forum if this is normal or could I have a problem. My take away from the mechanic is that he usually doesn't see this. Here is a picture of just two of the pleats in the oil filter. Is this considered normal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes go to the dealer and ask them about it.
Have them bring it in are get it in the system for possible warranty work with what you discovered.

Reactions: gearset807
#4 · (Edited)
He didn't mention anything about it. I saw another car having the oil changed and it is drained into one of those large catch cans on wheels with a large funnel on top. Probably didn't notice but I will ask.

UPDATE: I did talk to the mechanic who did the oil change and he did not see any metal in the oil that drained out. Hopfully this is just part of the normal break in.

#6 ·
Mass produced engines usually have some trash in them that gets washed out as the oil circulates and captured by the filter. Thus the long standing argument of dumping the factory fill long before the recommended oil change interval to get crap out of a new engine. However, with pieces that large in the filter, I would only run the current fill about 3K miles and see how things look in the filter and the catch pan. A used oil analysis might be a good idea at the next change but for the first 5K, and possibly longer, there will always be high wear metals in the oil since the engine is breaking in.

#7 ·
I called my local Dodge dealer and they are having service call me back about it (everyone was serving customers). Like the majority of the responses so far I hope it is nothing. I am going to keep the filter to compare to the next oil change and also for record in case I do have any future problems. When service calls me back I will ask them if they would like to see the filter.

#14 · (Edited)
I just got back from the dealer and showed the service writer the filter element. He said it was normal for engine break in.

The dealer was so busy it was hard to get someone to look at it.

I checked with a magnet and they must be aluminum flashings since the magnet doesn't attract them. The shop that did the oil change put the findings on the receipt and I'll keep the oil filter and change the oil again at 3000 and compare it to this filter.

On closer examination I checked the other pleats and most have a few specks, only about 1/4 of them have a longer piece like what is in the picture.

I was impressed that the shop examined the filter so closely. Yes, Slidd is right, it is the V6 so the element is exposed already. Is it because we usually don't cut open conventional oils filters after the first oil change and look at the element that we don't see things like this?

Do you think I should take the filter back when they are not so busy and get someone to examine it more closely? I did leave a message on the service managers phone to have him call me back.

#17 ·
Interesting, I also have a 2016 Wrangler JK Freedom Edition with the 3.6 V6 and in the few times that I changed the oil
I never thought to look in the pleats but will next time just because of this.
I usually do my first change at 1000-1500 miles, then again at 3000 miles then on my regular cars every 3000 miles.
On the SRT its changed every season when getting put away for the winter which currently is about 800 miles and maybe only 1000 by the end of the season.
I'm sure your car is just fine so just drive and enjoy it. The warranty is there and should give you peace of mind. Post pictures, we never get tired seeing pictures of Challengers here.

#20 ·
Just out of curiosity, what engine is this?

#21 ·
Forget it, didn't read the second page. Oops:sleep:

#24 ·
I'm still curious... Even if the filter elements are exposed for this motor, what motivated him look in between the pleats? Of course we can all appreciate such an attentive and concerned mechanic but in all my years, I've never seen a mechanic examine a used filter. I would think they'd be busy trying to get your car in and out quickly to continue with the next customer. Could it be he rigged that filter just to raise your blood pressure? There ARE people out there that get their rocks off on jacking with others for no good reason. Just a thought and a scenario. If the mechanic's integrity is golden and he was being sincere (of course I have no reason to doubt him) then you found yourself a great place for future oil changes. She look fantastic. Enjoy, stay out of trouble and please keep us posted.:D

#27 ·
I was a little surprised too. I know the mechanic that did the oil change has the same engine in his car. He has a Dodge SUV with the 3.6L. They seem like a good place. With my previous vehicle I use to take my oil changes to Pep Boys because they were cheaper but after they stripped the oil drain plug I decided to pay a little more and go to a shop that charged more but had a good rating on Yelp. They keep the place spotless so it seems like a good place to have service. But you do bring up a good point.

#25 ·
I see that you went to HB Dodge, just wanted to say be careful with those guys. I purchased my first 2015 SXT+ from them at the beginning of this year and it was an extremely poor experience dealing with their customer service and salesmen. (From telling me they lost the spare key literally right after handing me the main key fob and telling me I have to come back to get it in two weeks to the salesman who sold me the car calling me up 2 days later inquiring if I was still interested in purchasing a vehicle from them... That was a fun month dealing with those idiots).

#26 · (Edited)
I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience there. I didn't go through the main sales team. I went through fleet sales - they are located in that small building on the corner. They treated me very well. On my first test drive they tossed me the keys and said go for a drive, take it on the freeway if you like. No salesman came with me on the three test drives I took. Came once to decide which sound system I wanted and the guy took me to their storage lot, hooked the car up to a battery charger and let me test the system. I had requested they put the splash guards on the wheel wells as an option. When I picked up the car they said, no charge for the splash guards. I actually bought the car from them because of the way they treated me. The only thing wrong was they didn't lower the air pressure on the tires from the shipping pressure to 32psi. But after I mention it they adjusted it for me right away. I learned on this forum that many dealers forget to adjust the tire pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.