Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Forced to give an old foxbody mustang gt a spanking

6K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  CaptKev72 
#1 ·
Sitting in traffic the other day listening to my tunes and minding my own business. An old foxbody mustang gt with a goofy hood scoop and ground affects and in bad need of some paint gets in the lane next to me as traffic on a four lane road is creeping along. He holds his lane up so he can rev his engine up while sitting alongside me. He does this for like a minute straight while traffic ahead of him there is like 4 car links for him to pull forward. So I roll my window down cause I think he wants to chat but both the punks in the front keep looking forward and dont acknowledge me while I glare at their moronish behavior. Finally they pull ahead somewhere in the traffic and I dont see them for a bit. Well traffic thins out and im in the outside lane all by myself rounding a curve doing about 35 when low and behold I see the moron twins and there goofy gt sitting in a jiffy lube p lot waiting for me to come by. I already know what these guys are going to do so before I get to them I put it in track mode and downshift to 2nd. As I get closer they pull out and match my speed so they are right alongside me. So at that point I slam the gas pedal, they slam their gas pedal, before I knew it I was doing like 60 in second and shifting into third, when I noticed the moron twins about 4 car lengths back trying to keep up. I hit the brakes as at this point because I was at about 75 and they were eating my dust and exhaust already anyway. I slow down to give them another go at my srt392 and they found the fisrt turnoff they could find and dissapeared probably going home to order more performance parts.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Why waste the fuel on them as they are going to tell their friends how they beat you anyway. Before you did this you already knew you were faster.
I've been passed by a prius and don't care. You cannot goad me into racing on a public road.

Reactions: sfmadmax
#4 ·
doing 75 in what seems like a business district from what you wrote...congrats on attaining the same level of maturity as Justin Bieber

#34 ·
One cannot argue the sensibility of your post. It is correct through and through. On the other hand, I too "know better." Many years as a road cop and even more as a big rig driver have brought me up close and personal with blacktop tragedy. The sickening sweet smell of blood wafting through the air as I remove personal affects from under a box of half eaten KFC haunts me to this day. To a rookie patrolman whose beat was a 90 mile stretch of U.S. 66, nothing that I had learned in the academy could ever prepare me for what I witnessed one hot summer day in 1977 at Milepost 97 on U.S. 66, east of Peach Springs, AZ. Again, I KNOW, but yet I too have either driven my Challenger irresponsibly, or have been an active participant as an occupant, while said Challenger was being driven in a highly spirited fashion by Mrs. WYFSKAAR. Sometimes we all act foolishly. And it will be entirely our burden if we should ever f**k up and have an accident.

#6 ·
Or... drive like a ****** and end up in jail like Hulk Hogans son Nick did, his friend is a potato for life now.
Want to race? Go to the track and put up a stack of cash, I wouldn't race for a trophy or bragging rights,just money.
I don't need to prove anything to a total stranger let alone do it on the streets where innocent people are driving and minding their own business and hoping to get to point B in one piece.
I was an EMT in heavy rescue and have seen what happens when things go VERY wrong.

#8 ·
Anyone here owning a Challenger and claiming they have NEVER gotten on the gas once on the street (and you people know what I'm talking about so don't play dumb here) are flat out lying! Even if it was a little bit you know you have.

#13 ·
Lose a best friend who was in a wreck and it changes your driving habits forever.
Now when I was 17-25 was another story. Young, stupid and a 396 in a 69 Camaro.....followed by a Olds W-30 442.

#10 ·
Obligatory disclaimer: Don't do this at home, kids.

And now I'll admit that I would've done exactly the same thing as the OP. If a mosquito annoys me, I open a window. When it keeps coming at me I make a stain out if it. Same thing in traffic. No shame in letting retards go ahead if you feel it's not safe, and I do let more than my share of idiots get ahead, of course. Otherwise, well, that's why I drive a muscle car. Not to prove anything to anyone or to represent all Challengers (couldn't care less) - for the enjoyment of the necessary kill.

But as Mike said, I would also not have let off and all they would've seen would've been a spot on the horizon. When you crush 'em you gotta crush 'em good. Otherwise, that's when you got a real street race on your hands and I'd rather not do those. With me, it's gotta be over quick, nice and safe (within reason), or I stay out of it.

Reactions: Bad daytona
#11 ·
I was surprised too, they were in such a hurry to dissapear I thought there was a cop coming. I normally do not try and race anyone under normal circumstances, but I find myself becoming less and less tolerant of turbo ricers and rustangs and gaymaros pushing people around on the road. I know the dangers and risks involved in a street race, physically and money wise if you get caught or in a wreck, so I try not to put myself in the position, but it seems lately that other cars just want to mess with challengers, maybe its all the publicity over the hellcat, but I get messed with on a more regular basis now. I even had a chevy silverado try messing with me on the interstate. It only took about three seconds of acceleration for him to realize he was outmatched. I know I shouldnt let other cars gode me into anything, but it sure is a nice feeling when I park peppermint at the end of the day and I know somewhere out there some punk is crying in the dark trying to figure out how to get daddy to pay for their next performance mod.

#14 ·
I thought it was just me. I was doing 65 in a 65 on the highway and came along side a Corvette who was going a little slower. The driver has gotta be 60-65, grey haired and bald. Should be mature and responsible, you'd think...

He looks over at me and gets kind of an angry look on his face and floors it. Well, then he slows down and I catch up to him with the cruise still set at 65 and he guns it a couple times to bait me. His wife is rolling her eyes which make my wife laugh so he starts glaring at her. All the while I'm trying to figure out why this car, more than any other I've ever owned, seems to upset non-Mopar people so much. My innocent looking little R/T is very humble. 0:) And bright orange, that's the symbol of safety!

My wife sees him glaring so she points at him and makes the small sign with her fingers and starts shaking her head all slow with her bottom lip out. The next thing we know, HIS wife starts laughing at what MY wife did. Now he looks like he is all mad at his wife and jumps off at the next exit with his head down.

It was great because I never did feel a need to prove anything and was rewarded with the best laugh I'd had all week.

I know stuff like this will happen again, these cars seem to bring out the worst in some people. All you can do is focus on the compliments, I get way more of those than idiots to deal with anyhow, so it's all good.

#15 ·
My innocent looking little R/T is very humble. 0:) And bright orange, that's the symbol of safety!
Thanks for the laugh! :D

Reactions: 2013r/t
#17 ·
Meh, there is no reason to get high and mighty about street racing. We are all legal adults here and someone spouting about how they simply cannot be goaded into a street race doesn't convince anyone of anything other than you coming off like a jerk. People street race. All the time. Let it go, if you don't like it don't comment because your internet post isn't changing someone else's mind and personal life to not do it now and then.

To the OP, well done :)

#18 ·
I avoid taking them on surface streets, usually. Once I get on the highway its a different game, I'll play a little bit if conditions are right. I avoid it at night as well because highway patrol can be difficult to spot at night. If I find myself with concrete barriers on both sides and them nowhere to hide, I'll take someone who goads me into it.

Lately, I find myself just giggling as they drive past/as I pass them knowing that usually it won't be much competition.

I did have a Charger R/T want to play a little at a light which lead to the on-ramp. I was behind them in the left-most lane that took us to the on-ramp. They were revving a little bit and creeping before the light turned red. It was a two lane road but one lane took a service/frontage road, so I had to get over one more lane left in order to get next to them. Anyway, I threw her into track mode, and when the light turned green got on line with them. It was on like Donkey Kong and before I knew it I was at 75, they were probably 5 or 6 cars back at least. It was entertaining.

Anyway OP, right on for the fox body kill. Sounds like they deserved it.

People race a little bit, and generally it can be irresponsible, but given the right conditions I think its not that big of a deal. It's the *******s who don't know how to drive that are usually the problem. I had some guy try to take me in his truck a few months back while I was on the highway. Pulled up next to me, giving it some gas like he wanted to race. We were off, and we got to 90 when I was forced to drop back because HE almost hit someone.

#20 · (Edited)
like another poster said trying to be reasonable with selfish minded people is pointless. If you're gonna race on public roads at least do the rest of us the courtesy of using little used back/rural roads. If there is an accident it will at least minimize the chance you'll take an unsuspecting motorist with you when you eventually crash and burn...thanks.

#21 ·
I could write a book about this. Note that I said "could". It would not be a good idea.

Attachments

Reactions: deranged
#22 ·
I don't street race but I enjoy reading the kill stories from people who do. Personally, I think WRT kill stories, they should be immune from lecture unless maybe they make a habit of going out "fishing", looking for trouble and post about it constantly. I think it's fine to relate a story about why you don't street race in the vein of "be careful" but IMO the posts where people are judging others should be avoided. Just like vegans who are against hunting probably shouldn't watch (or comment on) hunting videos on YouTube.

Even those of us who don't street race are not immune. Given the right day, the wrong mood, a carload of aholes, and some open road, even the most "take it to the track" driver is going to end up giving a spanking once in a blue moon. As someone with over a half million miles under his belt, no accidents (avoided many), and not even a ticket of any kind in 20+ years, if I have a lapse of judgement and it happens to me, I'd like to be able to come here and share the story without being judged.

Mike

#26 · (Edited)
I agree with this 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm the same way,always drive the speed limit,obey traffic laws,other than occasional relapses of my past acceleration addiction.But it has happened that someone screws with me,conditions are just right,traffic,location,lack of houses,side streets,pedestrians,and absolutely no cops,I will respond to the challenge.This is such a rare occasion that I can live through others kill stories and relive my past.
Keep them coming!

#37 ·
Driving fast in a straight line makes you a man? Pretty low standard for what makes a man. Extricate a bloody, dead, six year old from a mini van wrecked by a street racer. Do that without tossing your lunch and I'll say you're not a wuss.

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Source omitted so as to not bruise any fragile egos or offend those with questionable self esteem who might feel judged.

Yes I have strong feelings on this particular subject matter (street racing).
For those who can't handle a dissenting opinion on a matter I would say don't post on a public forum if you can't handle being disagreed with

#30 · (Edited)
I know, right? God knows I'm not a prude, but I don't go to strip clubs - just not my thing. Now if someone started yelling "REPENT, SINNERS!" in one of those I'd be the first one to throw a bucket of iced water in their face for the principle. Someone mentioned the sanctimonious vegans earlier, and it's the same thing (and that's coming from a vegetarian).
My favorite line is "I had my fun when I was young and crazy, but now I know better so you behave!"

Safety is an illusion, people. It's a highly publicized, politicized and marketed illusion, but still a big lie. Believe it if you want, but don't shove it down people's throats based on your definition of what's safe. I can't wait for the (first phase of the) self-driving cars because it will take the wheel off the hands of those who are already brain-dead and ready to be led.

Reactions: wasp392
#35 ·
In my younger days I was very stupid.

In my elder days I am still stupid BUT with less frequency and greater powers over and of observation, judgement and proclivity.

#39 ·
I agree with you mike, all this lecturing about street racing reminds me of when I was 16 and my dad lectured me about going fast in my used 72 chevelle ss I saved up for by washing dishes for 12 hours a day during a summer. The next week driving home on a long stretch of highway I come up on about 10 cars backed up doing about 40 in a 55, looks clear ahead for a ways so I punch it and go around all these slowpokes, well the slowpoke at the front backing everyone up was my dad. As I blew by him I noticed he was finishing off a six pack of his favorite afternoon beverage. When he finally pulled up at the house he started to say something about my blowing by him, I interrupted him before his lecture to ask if he always drinks and drives on the way home from work. He never lectured me again after that day.

#41 · (Edited)
You know how I am,so won't say iit !>:)
All joking aside,there's some scary and stupid stuff in the clip.As an avid street racer in the 70's early 80s I won't be a hypocrite.We were very organized,deserted street,a spotter on the only side street,no one past the starting line foward,seat belts must be worn.The only ones in danger were the contestants.Their risk.If your one of those that race on a busy street,or highway,neiborhood,it's stupid.Be as smart as this can be,be careful.I prefer the track these days.
<<<I have slipped though,my sig left,(the bad in my sig isn't for the car)I'm lined up against an Evo,same senerio as described above.

#43 ·
Come on guys, lets give the OP a break here. Regardless of the ifs, buts and what ifs, nobody got hurt (unless you count the old 5.0 drivers feelings). If we are honest, we have all done it. Whether it be biting on an occasional quick race or just laying into it on a backroad somewhere, we have all played with the power these cars have and exceeded the speed limit in doing so. So before anyone jumps the OP any further perhaps we should approach this one with the rule "let him who is without sin (i.e. never raced anyone on a public road ever in your life, never broken the speed limit in their challenger on a public road) cast the first stone." Hmmm. I can hear folks having to drop those rocks all over the place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.