Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Fuel tank slow to fill on R/T classic

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  STONEWHITE R/T 
#1 ·
My 2010 r/t classic allways takes fuel slow and trips pump nozel off or spills fuel out of fill hole if you fill to quickly. it sometimes feels like it takes longer to fill then it takes to empty the fuel tank.:thumbsup:

Anybody else have this problem?

#2 ·
I have to hold the pump nozzle at a strange downward angle to be able to pump at full blast, I have only filled up twice so I'm getting use to it as well.

#4 ·
Yup, same problem here. Can't fill at full speed only about half, sometimes a little less then half, even then sometimes it'll trip before its full. I just got in the habit of keeping a paper towel between the splash thingy on the nozzel(Excuse the tec language:)) and crome ring on the filler door to keep any possible splash back off the paint.

#5 ·
I never fill at full speed to avoid any possible splash back.

Slow rate must be from the crossover. I believe there is a tank on each side of the car? Right?

#7 ·
Funny, I have the same problem, only with my '07 Shelby GT....one of Ford's tsb's states to "fill up at a different gas station"!!??:thinkerg:

#8 · (Edited)
There is a TSB on this. Since it is a saddle type tank there is a switching valve not working to allow the other side to fill. Take her in to the shop.

#10 · (Edited)
The TSB addresses coming to the fueling station from a long hard run . The valve doesn't open to allow fuel to run over to the other side fast enough. One thing it says it let it idle for a few minutes to allow the tanks to equalize first.
There usually is a tube inside the filler neck to allow fuel pressure (air in the tank) to escape and fuel to flow in. It may be dislodged or kinked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.