Gear ratios - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gear ratios

OK for those in the know I have a few questions ..

auto has 373 rearend gearing & the Manual has 392 . Why the difference ?

Also I have a manual Rt, 20 in wheels 392 gears .. If I was to go to say 18 or 17 in rims would this make the car rev higher & or have a positive effect on 1/4 mi speeds ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 06:44 AM

it's not the wheel size but the overall diameter of your rear tires which will reduce your overall ratio.

just get rear tires with a smaller diameter and you'll reduce the overall ratio.
KW Stage 2, Hotchkis Sways, Front & rear Strut Bars, Catch Can, MBRP, Vortech V3, Hurst Shifter, Magnaflow Catted Mids, 8-Piston Brembos, OZ Wheels (front 10x20, rear 11x20) w 285/35 Toyo R888 all around, Pedders Bushings, Custom Oil Cooler, and much more...

see some of my "keep on rockin" Challenger videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lukecustoms

Old 07-09-2010, 09:09 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
All autos have 3:06 gears.
Manual R/T with 18" wheels get the 3:73.
Manual R/T with 20" get 3:91.
All SRT manuals have 3:91.
The rev limiter won't change.
Smaller diameter tires would give a lower final drive ratio that would help in the 1/4 mile time.

Brad
2010 Challenger R/T Classic, Auto, MagnaCharger TVS2300 Supercharger, Zex Nitrous Kit, Arrington 90mm Billet TB, JBA Shorties/Catted Mids, Corsa Exhaust, 3:91 Getrag Rear, PP NAG1 Stage II Valve Body, Hotchkis Front & Rear Sways, Diablo Predator, BT Catch Can, Hurst Shifter, Nitto 420's, LockPick, More!!! Tune By OST Mike 11.1438 @ 123.63

Last edited by B KIRK; 07-09-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alfonso6 View Post
OK for those in the know I have a few questions ..

auto has 373 rearend gearing & the Manual has 392 . Why the difference ?

Also I have a manual Rt, 20 in wheels 392 gears ..
The 20" stock tire size is .5 taller
(90.1" circumference / 28.7" diameter / 703 revs/mile)

than the 18" size
(88.5" circumference / 28.2" diameter / 716 revs/mile)

so comparing the stock tire sizes, the 3.92 gear offsets the loss of effective ratio with the taller 20" tire, so it works out the same as the 3.73 gearing with the shorter 18" tire...

You end up with the same overall ratio - it was done to keep the speedo and rpm/mph the same with the 6-speed setup.

The 3.06 & automatic is used whether the car is equipped with 18" or 20" wheel / tire setup. Its likely MDS (on the 5.7 R/T) offsets the change in effective ratio, so Chrysler didn't bother with different gearing on the automatic setup.

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 AM

OK

Originally Posted by lukester View Post
it's not the wheel size but the overall diameter of your rear tires which will reduce your overall ratio.

just get rear tires with a smaller diameter and you'll reduce the overall ratio.

Thanks guys certainly clears things up ..

Imagine putting a 15 in rim w/ 255 x 60 tires .. Certainly would reduce the gear ratio .. But it would look hideous given the enormous wheel wells these cars have .. I guess the only way to change the gear ratio is by actually changing the gears .. ( makes sense )

doing that this fall to my 66 GTO .. Guy i bought it from 10 yrs ago had 3.08s in there .. after restoration ( just completed & broke ) going to go with 3.73 .. Ought to give it some snap huh ?

Had 3.93 gears in my 72 Nova SS when I was a kid .. That thing use to really go ...
Old 07-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alfonso6 View Post
Thanks guys certainly clears things up ..

Imagine putting a 15 in rim w/ 255 x 60 tires .. Certainly would reduce the gear ratio .. But it would look hideous given the enormous wheel wells these cars have .. I guess the only way to change the gear ratio is by actually changing the gears .. ( makes sense )

doing that this fall to my 66 GTO .. Guy i bought it from 10 yrs ago had 3.08s in there .. after restoration ( just completed & broke ) going to go with 3.73 .. Ought to give it some snap huh ?

Had 3.93 gears in my 72 Nova SS when I was a kid .. That thing use to really go ...
At the track, I often see the LX guys (Magnums and Chargers) running 18's on the rear (esp if they have the SRTs which get 20" wheels std.) to get more lower final drive since they may have 3.06 or even 2.81 diffs, depending on the model year...

I'll be that Nova's engine with the old 1:1 top gear (auto or stick) will probably be spinning somewhere between 4 - 4.5K rpm at highway speeds!

Great for the track, but horrible for mileage and just the engine noise trying to drive it on the street. Some folks even went with lower gearing (4.56 or more), but at that point is just a track toy after that - not usable for daily driving.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
does anyone know where to find the transmission (6 sp) gear ratios? Are all Tremec 6060 trannys the same regardless of make car they are put in?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Photos: (1)
Fwiw, the torque multiplication effect in the fluid coupling of the automatic is essentially like a 1.25-ish gear reduction (varies according to engine load). So that 3.06 axle ratio is effectively like a 3.825, in conjunction with the automatic transmission properties. 1.25:1 being conservative, the effective ratio could end up even shorter than that.

Now, if the transmission activates lock-up clutch mode, then the effective ratios and axle ratio work as you expect they would (at a constant cruise on a city street or the hwy). I don't think it typically enters this mode if you are racing the thing, though.

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/

Last edited by randycat99; 07-26-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by dmwphoto View Post
does anyone know where to find the transmission (6 sp) gear ratios? Are all Tremec 6060 trannys the same regardless of make car they are put in?

The gear ratios on the 2009 Dodge Challenger are:
1st: 2.97
2nd: 2.10
3rd: 1.46
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.74
6th: 0.50
Old 07-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

You may also want to keep in mind when you mess with the tires sizes for the sake of changing gear ratios, you also mess with speedometer accuracy and in turn actual mileage on the odometer in the long haul. Granted it's not at all bad when you raise the GR but you lower it you're actually piling on more than the actual miles traveled.

Maggie, the other woman.. ^^^

It's stock.. Really..!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.