Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Got rear-ended in my Scat Pack today

9K views 49 replies 39 participants last post by  billschroeder5842 
#1 ·
Pictures: Oops - Album on Imgur

Caught it on video. Skip to 2:10.

https://youtu.be/ZnK0keSbV1I

When I yell "DUDE!", it was frustration with the car in front for illegally stopping to let someone merge over rather than letting that person stay in the lane to merge when possible. It's one of my pet peeves.

I'm not sure, but I think that same "nice guy" stopped for another vehicle at the intersection ahead, causing traffic to stop once again and playing a role in this accident. My accident avoidance technology went off right at the same time my foot was moving from the gas to the brake.

I was absolutely paying attention and that's why I had no issue coming to a stop with more than enough time. I yelled "OH ****" because I saw the van in my mirror and noticed the driver wasn't looking forward.

#3 ·
Hope your OK. A hit like that can cause symptoms to show up hours later.
In the video it doesn't look like you got hit that hard but that's a terrible amount of damage.

Kudos to you for acting like a gentleman. That's not all that common anymore.

Best of luck to you,
Scott

#6 ·
Hope you are alright and best of luck with the repairs. This may seem rather off topic however, what are you using for a dash cam? I was thinking of getting one

#9 ·
that wasnt that sudden of a stop.the guy in the van was either texting/looking at his phone or some other type of distraction.your never safe out there no matter how good of a driver you are.i would have decked that guy,,,by the way what is that dashcam...go pro

#12 ·
Thats a lovely road you were driving on. Beautiful day to boot.

The guy did at least pull over and ask you how you were, got out and acted like a normal human being...have to give him a little credit for that I guess.

That aside, yes, sick feeling in my stomach when I heard the "whump". I hope the repairs go smooth and no crap with insurance, etc etc.

All the best to you.

Pete

#13 ·
Yea, looking at the pics and videos, looks like you're getting a whole new rear end, trunk , quarter , bumper. The good news is it looks to be all facial damage. So just replacement parts and paint. But I know that sucks.

Here in NH its illegal to text and drive. If you're caught, its big trouble, but I agree with the previous poster. At least the guy was sincere and knew he f$cked up.

That dash cam was def worth the money, will the insurance want that video?

#17 · (Edited)
I'm very impressed how well mannered you were to the other driver due to the situation. I often wonder how I would handle it if someone hit my car, I can't claim the same level you displayed. I always figured if you had a high impact color it would potentially reduce someone hitting you, however it would seems no color is safer. I hope your beautiful scat pack is fix to her former glory.

#18 ·
You responded exactly how you should have and you are wise to have done so. If you turned into vigilante hulk, that guy would own your Challenger and your house. Unfortunately, the innocent are on the wrong side of the law these days.

Tough break. I'm sure your car will look flawless when it comes back from the body shop.

#20 ·
Honestly, I'm surprised that anyone thinks my reaction was remarkable. What's done is done. Getting angry won't solve anything and the guy probably feels worse because he has no reason to be upset with anyone but himself. He wouldn't learn his lesson if I'd been a dick.

Maybe it comes from taking **** for a living. Selling cars is far more stressful than this situation.

#28 ·
Hey, glad you are ok, and that the accident liability looks to be an open and shut case. Stupid things happen in life, and in this case nobody was hurt. The guy who hit you did not appear to be a tool about it either, so maybe he is man enough to learn his own lessons out of this since it seems to be all on him. I also think you handled the accident like a man. What else would you have done? Threaten him? Jump out of your car and assault him like a damned fool? Cops would come looking for you not him, and with good reason.

Also: Steppenwolf I know, obviously. But who was the first band in your video? I want to say Derek and the dominoes or blind faith. Am I right? One again, glad you are in one piece and your car will get repaired.

#21 ·
What an unfortunate situation. Good thing is, in most cases, the guy that does the rear ending is almost always at fault. You have the video evidence to prove it. Some of these guys saying they would get out the start throwing punches and shooting automatic weapons is insane. It is just a car. You never know what the other person has or is capable of. One incident doesn't propagate the other and your solid case for an insurance claim would go straight out the window if you got out acting like a mad man. I would be pretty upset if someone hit my car like that, but in the end I know that the insurance company will take care of me and mine. Besides a little compassion might do so good in this case. For all you know he could have gotten a text about an incident in his family and is just trying to get somewhere. Something like this could add on to an already crappy day.

#23 ·
Good luck buddy. Hopefully it didn't buckle the frame. I hope that everything gets resolved. I'm amazed at how calm you were and I hope that it pays off. That's crazy.

#25 ·
Yep and that's a classic case of a distracted driver. The driver of the truck was on the phone and obviously not paying attention.

#26 ·
If you said that vehicle in front of you stopped to let someone out, I'm sure you can let the police or insurance company know so they can run his plates for unlawful or illegal stopping on roads. Or whatever law they have for what that vehicle in front of you did.
Glad you're both safe and handled it like GENTLEMEN!!
Get that detectible, rent-a-car and then get that Chally back on the road where it belongs!!!

#27 · (Edited)
Maybe he just didn't see you. You should get a more visible car. How the heck does somebody hit you in a BRIGHT GREEN car????

I hate tailgaters. I don't care how busy you are. This is why. Happens to every tailgater more than once in life. Jackwipes.

Sorry about your crash. It hurts to look at your car. I know it is just metal. I know a good shop will make it better than new. It is just never the same again as having all virgin sheet metal and all original paint. But that is life today. This will happen to 90% of us and some of us will be the cause.

Sucks.

#29 ·
Ouch. That hurts my heart.

Hope you get this resolved fast and they make it perfect for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.