Grinding noise when turning left? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Well, finally had to get Chrysler involved. Took it back to the second dodge service place and test drove it the next day in the morning with tech and service manager in back. They were fight any problems and finally heard the noise. So rental car for me and they still don't know what is wrong. They are calling tech support. Good lord!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM

they're gonna be chasing this one...sounds really vague...bet-ya a dollar they come back and say they couldn't duplicate the problem. The best way to find something like that is have someone else drive your car and listen from outside the car. You'd be surprized how movement can redirect noise from inside the car. As soon as it warms up, does it stop?
#13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 PM

(Thread Starter)
Groho- it is not as apparent when it is warmed up. I had the tech drive it and he heard it. So we will see what happens. I think I would lose that dollar though.

#14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well, my challenger is back and steering good now. They said that the powersteering fluid was low. WHAT THE HELL!?!?!? Don't they check that stuff. Whatever, it fixed the problem. Wasn't leaking so guess it came low from the factory????

The Following User Says Thank You to Toad10 For This Useful Post:
Moparpwr (04-24-2013)
#15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well, Four months later back with the same problem. Started again about a week ago. let it go till it go bad again then called my chysler guy back and had him re open my case. Took it back to the dealer and they can't replicate it. Have to go tomorrow to test drive with the tech again. This is getting old real quick.
#16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM

#17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad10 View Post
Well, Four months later back with the same problem. Started again about a week ago. let it go till it go bad again then called my chysler guy back and had him re open my case. Took it back to the dealer and they can't replicate it. Have to go tomorrow to test drive with the tech again. This is getting old real quick.
I'm not saying that this is your problem, but I have 2 points:

#1 My 2010 had ZERO power steering fluid when I heard it making noise. The steering was bad. It was leaking from a seal down onto the tierod

#2 My friend's jeep made the noise you described at 3000miles. On HIS, it was "bent" suspension components, which when braking or turning one direction would lower the driveshaft enough to grind on his exhaust.

I doubt this is your issue, but at least its something else to check.

2010 R/T Auto PCp
Magnaflow 14" oval mufflers with resonator delete
Curt 3500lb hitch
#18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by randycat99 View Post
Also, I forgot to mention, I've observed a grinding like noise while turning in a different car that was actually one of the front tires every so slightly scraping against the plastic liner in the fender. That was on utterly stock-sized tires (but evidently the sport tire/suspension pkg for that car). You would never think it would make a "grinding sound", but evidently that is what a rough rubber tire making light contact with unsupported plastic sounds like.
This! I had to replace push pins for my passenger side fender liner where the wheel had rubbed against it while turning.

Thing is when I had my new tires installed, the tire dealer put my 255s on the front and rear passenger side and my 245s on the front and rear driver side. The result was the front passenger tire rubbing the inner fender liner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2015 376 cu-in SRT S/C Hellcat Torred (ordered; BX)
2012 392 cu-in SRT8 Tungsten - 12.847 @ 109.89 mph
2010 370 cu-in SRT8 Torred - 12.604 @ 112.11 mph (Spartan Cam) / 12.817 @ 110.05 mph
2009 345 cu-in R/T Torred - 13.291 @ 103.67 mph

Bolt-On Mod Information
#19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 AM

(Thread Starter)
They just called me back and Chysler is replacing the power steering pump. Hopefully this is the fix.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode