Hellcat buyers beware!!! - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 2,044 Times in 1,183 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Hellcat buyers beware!!!

Dodge warns customers of "unscrupulous" Hellcat dealers | Fox News

The greed of some Dodge dealers has invoked the wrath of the automaker.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) is telling buyers to beware before putting down a deposit on one of the high-performance Hellcat versions of its Dodge Challenger and Charger models.
Both vehicles feature a 707 horsepower V8 that makes them the most powerful American production cars ever made. Despite starting prices in excess of $60,000, they’ve seen stronger than expected demand since going on sale late last year, and Dodge is having trouble building enough of the engines to go around.
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Test Drive:

While it works to increase production, it has set up an allocation program designed to discourage dealers from sitting on the cars themselves or putting huge markups on them, although Hellcats listed for $30,000 over sticker are not an uncommon sight.
Essentially, each dealership that has been authorized to sell the cars is currently able to get one per month, and can’t get another unless it moves it off the lot quickly. However, this hasn’t stopped some of them from taking many more orders they can expect to fill anytime soon. FCA’s U.S. head of communications, Gualberto Ranieri,wrote a blog post on Friday that warns customers of the practice is unscrupulous and could be illegal.
The chairman of the FCA dealer council, Jim Arrigo, told Automotive News that dealers have to learn to live with the allocation system, and “for somebody today to take 200 deposits or even 30 orders for that car, when they know that they’re not going to get that many, that’s just wrong.”
Laws governing dealerships vary state to state, but Ranieri strongly suggests that shoppers ask a lot of questions before handing over any money, including an estimate on when they can expect to get the car and whether or not their deposit is refundable.

--Ray--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 TorRed S/E

- Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
- All you can take with you is that which you have given away...Peter Bailey, Bailey Brothers Building and Loan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Dodge dealerships...

This is my surprised face:

staggered 18" chrome boss 338's w/spin caps, nitto 555's (235/50 and 295/45), afe cat-back, light blue stripes, r1 concepts dimpled/slotted rotors, ebc yellowstuff pads, stoptech steel lines, daytona tail lights, 1970 emblems (script, r/t, 345 hemi, hood letters, pentastar)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:56 AM

Saw this coming. My local dealer in a town of about 15,000 only gets in a non srt challenger or two a year, supposedly has 4 sold.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:02 PM

I remember when Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis stated "The Hellcat is not a limited production vehicle and that they will build as many Hellcats as people wanted." He also said that "the cars are our brand and we want them out on the roads where people can see them being driven. It doesn't do the brand any good for cars to sit in a showroom." My take on this is that people who order a Hellcat will get the car they want, it's just that due to the allocation process, they might have to wait awhile.

That said, dealers use this tactic to justify markups. I was at a local dealer the other day to look at colors, and when I asked the salesman why there were no 392 SRT's on the lot, he said "Oh...all the SRT's have been spoken for." I looked at him like he was from Mars. He said "You don't believe me?" and I said "No...I don't. Prove it." He said "Wellll...that's what I HEARD anyway..."

I said to him "You'd do yourself a favor by not treating potential customers as if they had the same IQ that you do" and I walked off.

I own a 1994 Corvette ZR-1. When those things came out, they were nearly $70,000, marked up to $100,000 and I know for a fact that many paid that markup. I bought mine a few years ago in mint condition for $25K.

And THIS is why owners of car dealerships buy football teams.

"Most of your life...should be off the record."
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 PM

Garage
I really don't understand all the hype about lack of availability of the Hell Cat. Its a F'n car !!!! Dodge was claiming that they can make "x" number of regular Challengers per day. The Hell Cat is nothing more than a Challenger with a powerful motor. Its not like the engine is made of platinum and the materials aren't readily available. The factory should be able to produce bigger numbers as they knew the demand was there. I'd like to know how many Hell Cats have been built as of today. The car is built by robots and people on a production line . The car is not a Rolls Royce or Lambo that is hand built . I will wait a few years and will get my Hell Cat at less than MSRP and I will have Dodge dealers calling ME....to come make a deal. Just like they were doing when I bought my RT. I can wait.

2014 RT Plus/ Automatic
Granite Crystal Metallic
Matte Gray Billboard Decals "Hemi"
BT Oil catch can/blue/ SS braided hoses
AFR 71' Barracuda Grill / 71' Barracuda Fender Gills
Resonators deleted / Flow 409 mufflers
Web Electric Sequential Tail Lights/Brake Pulser
SRT Chin Spoiler 6.1
UH-1 Huey (helicopter) cyclic shifter
Window Tint 35%
Red brake calipers
Weather Tech floor mats
Fumoto Quik Valve
factory splash guards
Tred Wear raised white letters on original GoodYear tires
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to movnviol For This Useful Post:
Gilly (04-15-2015), PSM450 (03-03-2015), Rollingthunderspeedshop (03-03-2015)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 PM

My only guess on that is that the forged motor is harder to get parts for.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Exactly WHY I am totaley not interested in buying a HC the first year. I'll wait for the dust to settle AND for them to work out the issues on the refresh. I still remember when the 2008's came out. Very similar situation. No thanks...........

MODS: GWE/white rally stripes, Sequential tail lights, BT GWE engine bling, Sill guards,
Torque Thrust Wheels, Cutouts, Hurst line locks & shifter, Hood pins, Fastman TB
Strut tower brace, Billet strut covers, custom embroidery, Drake fuel door,
Splash guards, Quarter side scoops, T/A hood, Engine rebuild with

forged internals, Whipple 2.9L SC

PB 11.60 @ 120mph

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vichris For This Useful Post:
Geno22 (03-03-2015), teddyp (03-02-2015)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 12:50 PM

Same here. I bought the RT due to the craziness going on with the 08 SRT. Great car but at the time not an immense difference in HP/TQ. A good guy dealer was Cherokee CJD in Atlanta area if anyone is looking. They didn't have any SRTs back then and the ones they sold were for sticker. My RT was at invoice and next yr will be going back.

Airaid CAI, functional hood scoops, tail stripe, Mopar T shifter, 30% tint, Flowmaster race muffler, R/T spoiler badge

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:24 PM

Garage
I guess my answer for "how many Hell Cats" have been built so far.. I see the recall for leaking fuel rails is somewhere around 2200 units.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Right now I'm putting my wife through college. My hope is to upgrade in about 5 years or so, and by that time we'll have two incomes to work with. No idea what will be out in 5 years, but if I had the funds right now I would have ordered a Hellcat instead of a regular SRT.

It's possible in five years Ford or Chevy will have something I want instead of a Hellcat, if it's even still being made then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode