Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcat - Laredo Dodge, TX - Poor Business Ethics

3K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  johnnymopar 
#1 · (Edited)
Talk about poor business ethics and misleading:

Called Laredo TX Dodge because they had a Hellcat advertised for $65,870 MSRP with a $2,935 dealer discount making the adjusted price of $62,945. During the call, the Internet Salesman says, there is a $10,000 market adjustment which would bring the price to $75,870. I said, then why is is listed as $62,945 with a dealer discount? The saleman says, we can honor the discount and make the price $72,945.

I said, why would I want to do business with you if your own dealership website is advertising a price that is not true? The salesmen then references at the bottom of their site saying:

"images, pricing, and options shown are examples only, and may not reflect exact vehicle color, trim, options, pricing, or other specifications"

I understand posting the price of the car on the web site and then mentioning a markup over the phone, but I don't see it as good business ethics if you advertise a "discount" from MSRP and then add a markup over the phone. It is very misleading and poor business practice.

See less See more
#22 ·
I live in Clarksville Tn and Gary Mathews Dodge is about 2 miles from my house,,,, They did the same thing with the 392 last year,,, 65k although if memory serves me correct it was Plum Crazy Purple. I ordered my HC from Indiana and will never buy a "SRT" anything from them,,, regular truck maybe. They are taking advantage of the troops in Ft. Campbell in my own personal opinion.

#6 ·
Read the small print
I'm more amazed that movie theaters are still charging $15 for two sodas and a bag of popcorn and people are still buying them.
In the end the buyer has the power to walk away from the deal.
I only have a real problem with a buyer being duped into putting money down with a low advertised price, then they adjust the price on them and the buyer can't get his money back if he decides to back out.

#7 ·
Movie theaters are like dealerships, or any other business. They will overcharge because people pay. Hell I just paid ~$375 for 10 pieces of plastic: 4 emblems, 2 Weathertech floor liners and a set of splash guards.

#11 ·
Tulsa, OK and Dallas, TX have them selling for MSRP.

#13 ·
Don't get me started on dealers. They deserve every bit of the poor reputation they have, period.

#14 · (Edited)
What's worse than them doing this to the prospective buyers is the dumbasses who paid and are paying the mark ups.
It's a car, a fast car but not a over $70,000 worth fast car. For that coin you're entering a different category that Dodge isn't part of.

#16 ·
I bought my GWE for 10k less because they listed it wrong on thier website. I called the dealer to ask why and they said it was a mistake and they would honor it for 3 days. I drove 4.5 hours first thing next morning and got it.

Dick Hannah's in Vancouver Washington...

I'm pretty sure they have to honor thier price advertised legally.

#23 ·
I bought my GWE for 10k less because they listed it wrong on thier website. I called the dealer to ask why and they said it was a mistake and they would honor it for 3 days. I drove 4.5 hours first thing next morning and got it.

Dick Hannah's in Vancouver Washington...

I'm pretty sure they have to honor thier price advertised legally.
My friend is a dealership general manager, he said dealers use an ad agency so if ever called on it (something questionable) they can blame them. As stated above many dealers deserve the reputations that precede them.

#17 ·
Gosh. I can remember way back when the 2008 "numbered" cars fetched those $10,000 adjustments. As long as people were willing to have the newest flavor of the month the dealers were more than happy to sell them for that. Now I can drive down the street and buy one of those "limited" production cars for $24,900.

Can you blame them really?

#20 · (Edited)
On Craigs list Dallas there are three new ones 100 to 300 miles,2 at a collector car dealer and truck outfitter,listed for $84k,but they did add wider rear tires on both.They also have an Zo6 with Zo7 Pkg 125miles for only $125.000 if anyone's interested!There's another one with 100 miles listed for in the 90Gs.I suspect it's a used car dealer not sure.I hope they sit till the tires rot off!

Actually the third one is in Clovis,listed in Dallas craigslist,but he is taking offers!Offer 89 and he will probably sell?

#21 ·
Paying Dealer Markups is Idiotic

The best thing is, after the clown who pays the dealer markup gets sick of it, and trades it to CarMax so he can pursue his next fancy, I'll walk in sometime during December, 2015 and buy that Hellcat with perhaps 1K-2K on it for around 50K!

#28 ·
Folks... you have to remember what MSRP stands for...

Manufactures SUGGESTED Retail Price!!!!

They can ask any price they want for it... over sticker, under sticker... If someone is willing to pay over sticker then they get the car! If no one does they will be forced to lower the asking price. This is what the Free Enterprise System is... supply and demand.

If you didn't know in the QSR industry a company 'suggests' what a Franchisee should charge for the items but they are free to charge what they want.

#30 ·
"Free market" doesn't mean dealerships are free from negative publicity associated with adding dealer markup. I kicked my local dealership (Crown Dodge of Fayetteville, NC) to the curb and drove 45 minutes to buy an SRT from someone else, in part because they admitted to marking up their Hellcats.

Dealerships are free to asks whatever they want for their cars, and we buyers are free to speak our minds about it.

So what's the problem?

#29 ·
I was at Tacoma Dodge yesterday letting my wife take a look at the new Jeep Cherokees. Of course I looker around for the 2015 Challenger selection... 1 Sublime SRT8 but no Hellcats. I asked sales lady if they have had any Hellcat Challenger/Chargers come through. She said they had 3 or 4 sold already and they each sold with a $20k markup

#31 ·
Everyone needs to know the markups are short term and prices will be down once the first timers and people that need to spend the extra cash are done. I remember in 2009 meeting a guy in an orange RT regretting his decision as he had paid the same price for his RT with markup as I had paid for my SRT at MSRP.

I'm buying one in 2016 and I can guarantee you it will be at or below msrp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.