Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Is Hellcat overpricing over?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  DodgeHemi61 
#1 ·
Was watching Mecum Thursday show and a new-ish Hellcat was on the block fairly early in the show and the bidding closed at $60K and I just heard while watching the Friday show that it did sell for $66K. Not too long ago on another car auction program, either Mecum or BJ, I saw one go for six figures. I remember seeing the consignor looking dismayed or even pissed at the price prior to "the bid goes on". Granted, the car had no business being auctioned on Thursday rather than Friday or Saturday when the big money players and cars usually show up but, that said, $66K is about the out the door price...

#3 ·
Auction prices are sometimes all over the map so can't judge Hellcat value based on one car. I saw where a 68 L88 Corvette just sold for $800,000!!! Nice car but does not represent the car's true value. You could probably find an M6 now for MSRP, the automatics will still be at least 5 or 10 over.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 · (Edited)
I agree with Slidd, if you look hard and widen your horizons, a little persistence will probably get you a M6 Hellcat at or very close to MSRP. Selling at an auction is always a crapshoot, as you need at least 2 interested buyers to bid the price up.

As for comissions, the seller pays a nonrefundable fixed fee just to put the car in the auction. Depending on how favorable of a slot (weekends cost more) the seller pays about $250 to $750. On top of that, there is a sales commission if the car sales. If the car is sold at no reserve, the seller pays a 5% commission on the sales price. If the car has a reserve price, the seller pays a 7% commission (only if the car sales). In this case, the Hellcat clearly had a reserve, so the seller would be out the 7% commission.

#5 ·
#7 ·
As Rick on Pawn Stars says, what people ask for something and what it will sell for are often two different things.

What I'm seeing is the A8 Hellcat Challenger still commands a premium and are hard to come by. The Charger is easier to find than a Challenger. You should not pay more $5K over MSRP on a M6, and with some effort and luck can do better than that and perhaps even purchase at sticker.

#8 ·
While I can agree that you can't judge pricing by one car, still it sold in the low to mid 60K range which is MSRP plus a couple of goodies. I know that isn't a trend but a couple of months ago one went at auction for six figures so... As my kids would say, "just saying".

#10 ·
Mecum Kansas City was just a couple of weeks ago, right? One sold there with 12k miles in the mid 80s somehwere. Don't remember the transmission. What I do remember is being shocked that it was Jazz blue with the black and red interior (I was like, WTF, they actually built that?!), 12k miles (yea, easy highway miles, Im sure) and still got the premium.

I posted somewhere else about the engine plants not shutting down this summer. Hopefully they get a good stock of power plants and A8 transmissions built up, and people can actually buy a 2016 without the BS gouging.

#11 ·
there's a local dealer in my area that has a $20k markup on their 6-speed Hellcat and it doesn't have any additional options beyond Phantom Black Pearl paint ($500 add'l).
(no brass monkey wheels nor the premium Laguna leather seats)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.