Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Help please, srt or 392? is it worth it??

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  jordanjacob 
#1 ·
Hi everyone im new to this site & do not actually own a challenger YET.... Im permanently stuck at my job till dec 18th :brickwall:& am 250 miles from the nearest dodge dealer... So my xmas present to myself is a new challenger :) Anyways i drove a manual 2011 SRT 5.7L over the summer & was impressed, i would definatly be happy with the car. Yet love the nostalgia of the 392... Is it really worth it performane wise? I have heard from a few people that there was a minute difference in the actual speed of the cars. I Can afford both either one, will most likely be supercharging which ever car i buy, im almost thinking the SRT is gonna save me some cash & be just as happy. Any advice from challenger owners would be great! thank!

#2 ·
392 is a big step up from the R/T much bigger than it used to be with the 6.1. More power, MUCH better brakes, better suspension, seats, etc, etc. You can't supercharge either right now easily, until the PCM is cracked. They say soon, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You WON'T find an SRT owner that wishes he has got the R/T, though many R/T owners upgrade and I know a few that have replaced everything on their R/T's to make it equal or better than the SRT.

#3 ·
Either way, you're going to spend big bucks trying to supercharge a 2011+ car.

Currently they can't be tuned, thus if you wish to add a SC you're going to spend big bucks on swapping out the computer and wiring harness from a 2010, it can be done but depending on where you live, it's not going to be local

If power is what you're looking for then go with the 392. I would definitely drive both before making that decision.

Either way, you will be very happy with your new Challenger, good luck and don't forget to post followup pictures

#6 ·
You stated you are contemplating either an srt or 392. I'm assuming you meant R/T and 392.
If so, then I would go with the 392 without a single hesitation if price isn't a factor. I have test driven an RT and it is no comparison to the 392.

If what you actually meant to compare was a 2010 SRT and a 2011 SRT 392, then even though there is a difference, it wouldn't be AS noticeable compared to an RT.

#7 ·
dunno...buy what you can afford...SRT is an awesome car

#8 ·
If you can afford a 392....buy a 392. I have a 2009 RT and absolutely love it.....but I WILL be buying an SRT8 392 sometime in the next few years. When I bought my RT there was no 6.4L SRT available. Had I test driven a 392 I may have put off my buying the RT and saved more $$ to put down on the 6.4L.

Just sayin.......if you can swing it.....get the 392.................:bigthumb:

#10 ·
Man listen depends on what you want to do to it....
Now in due time you can supercharge 392, (actually you can do it now it will just cost you a pretty penny but can be done)
Or you can supercharge 6.1 with a little more ease since there are kits and tuning avaible RIGHT NOW to do so.
With the 392 not so much granted you can find the superchargers and stuff but more than likely you will also be needing a 2010 harness and ecu to make it work.

SO basically it this....
If you want to S/C and tune now then get the 2010 or earlier
If you can wait to S/C or Pay lot of money to S/C and tune then 392
Actually they are both not cheap buy you will pay more to do it with the 392.

#11 ·
mucker460, Before we go much further - what did you actually test drive? I assume there was a typo in your post since there is no SRT 5.7. Was it a 2011 R/T or an earlier SRT...? What are you wanting to compare?

I have a R/T and love it but want to trade up to a 392 SRT. I test drove a 2011 SRT (with the 392) this summer and really liked it. Wish it had had more fuel so I could have gone more than 3 miles :-( This particular dealer/salesman was not the brightest bulb on the tree.

#12 ·
Your post is confusing as hell.

You are permanently stuck at your job... until December 18th? Which is it?

Did you drive a 5.7L or an SRT? It can't be both.

Then you said you "heard from a few people that there was a minute difference in the actual speed of the cars". Now... if you were referring to the 392 and the RT you drove, that would be one of the funniest things I've read here in a long time. So I'm wondering if the car you test drove was not in fact an RT, but maybe a 6.1 SRT - which would make more sense with the above comment - but actually makes your post more confusing because you said it was a 2011.

:huh:

#13 ·
Wow, you can be brutal at times. Fun to read, but brutal. Surprised you didn't jump all over his grammar also!!! My assumption is he drove an R/T and is still learning about these cars. Not sure why he assumes he'll S/C what ever he gets, especially if he hasn't actually driven a 2011/2012 SRT.

To the OP, drive both an R/T and a 2011/2012 SRT. Then decide. Only you can determine if the extra $ is worth it for the SRT. Every body has a price point and has to decide how much they want to pay.

#14 ·
Sorry everyone i was wrong, I test drove a r/t not a SRT. I myself was confused thinking it was possible to get a 5.7L version of a SR/T (bear with me im a ford guy converting over to dodges!!) And yes, im stuck at my job untill december 18th.. Im the batchplant foreman/plant operator for my familys redimix business. We are supplying all the concrete for the cresent dunes solar project in tonopah nv, some of you might have heard about it on the news or elsewhere, its supposed to be the largest solar plant of any kind in the world when its finished... We are currently in the middle of pouring the main tower and it has to be a monolithic pour until completion... currently 200 feet off the ground, we have about 345 feet to go. Anyways getting off subject but i want to apologise for confusing everyone, it definatly was a 5.7L R/t, and thank you guys for the info. I guess im going to have to test drive the 392 before i make any decisions but im sure ill end up wanting it for sure over the R/T!!

#17 ·
Holy handbags....... thats a gorgeous car.. Im sure ill cave in &spend the extra money.. i was originally going to buy a raptor so im braced for about 50k... But i think i would have tried to jump the raptor a little too much haha.. atleast in a car i am limited to pavement

#18 ·
Hello Sir
I ve owned a 04 convertible supercharged cobra and the 06 c6 vette. The 392 is a awesome car. I love it!!!!!!!!!! This car is a complete sports car with the interior of a mercedes. You will love this car. The nav slash stereo cant be touched by any car maker. I can bark second, third and fourth in this car so you tell me if the 392 isnt worth it. I bought my wife a 2010 a charger R/T edition with 5.7 auto stick. I thought for a family car this was the best of both worlds. Sports, family. My 6 speed 2011 392 walks all over the r/t charger. The 6.4 is no punk and in a year or when they crack the code im going to add a supercharger to my car also. I will wait for the proper program and ECU development is completed to supercharge.. But for now the 6.4 is more than enough!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!

#19 ·
Hello Sir
what brand of wheels are those they look very good!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.