Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hemi V8s to end article

7K views 65 replies 27 participants last post by  Hell Ride 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Hmm lots of folks said if allpar aint reporting it then it aint for real...well here you go. some key observations from the article IMO are...

There has been no official word, and rumors have been known to be wrong, partly because plans change.

this is true

The next large cars are likely to share a platform with Alfa Romeo, which did not plan for V8s. Changing the cars would throw off their balance and cost hundreds of millions of dollars, while pushing back the launch timeline — even as large car sales are falling industry-wide.

Also likely to be true

The industry’s move to turbo sixes could also brand Chrysler as a low-tech throwback if they stay where they are.

My money would be on Chrysler leading from behind as usual

#4 ·
Honestly, if Chrysler do cease production of V8 engines, they're screwed.....again. Their lineup is perfect and tweaking the recipe is what's needed, not starting from scratch. I hate what Fiat has done to our brand.

#8 ·
:fight:

Could be true. The saying "They just don't make 'em like they used to" could be coming into play now.
I've read that GM is developing a new DOHC V8 for use in some Cadilacs and who knows what else. And Ford just came out with that wild 5.2 flat crank V8 in the GT350 Mustang so all is not lost yet. The HEMI V8 we have now is still a viable and popular engine.
Maybe the "End of the V8" is more about the end of torque. They're getting very good at building smaller engines with lots of horsepower but torque can really only come easily from large displacement engines like V8's.

#6 ·
Technology marches onward. There are Teslas on the road right now that will blow away our cars on the track, run further on a charge than a full tank in our cars and cost pennies to charge vs. a fill up.

Just enjoy what you got or want. Personally, I'm looking back. My next car will be a classic Mopar. Looking for a 69 Charger now.

#7 ·
Technology marches onward. There are Teslas on the road right now that will blow away our cars on the track, run further on a charge than a full tank in our cars and cost pennies to charge vs. a fill up.

Just enjoy what you got or want. Personally, I'm looking back. My next car will be a classic Mopar. Looking for a 69 Charger now.
The part about Teslas blowing away our cars is kind of true but for $100.000. You cant charge a Tesla for pennies and it wont go further than I can on a tank of gas. I can buy a tank of gas anywhere but you wont find many places to charge your Tesla.

#15 ·
Don't forget the *true* cost to the environment for those Tesla batteries. Lithium and other dangerous ingredients that can't even be mined here because of the safety regulations. I read a few years ago that a Prius after 10 years (between gas, natural gas or coal fired electricity, and battery chemicals and disposal) is net worse on the environment than driving a Ford Excursion the same miles for 10 years. Eventually the time will come when we'll look back and lament the good old days when we could just fill up with 93 octane and go.

#16 ·
Whether FCA realizes it or not, a pretty large group of people just love the Challenger exactly as it is, even if it never changed and just carried on with minor upgrades. Most I know would rather see the Viper get the axe instead and would not even be phased by it. The Challenger just needs to go lower volume and somewhat upscale pricewise (to keep it profitable for them) in the coming years. The tooling is all paid for. For me its is the only car I've ever liked since seeing a 69 Charger in the mid 70s, for the first time when I was 5 years old. Many feel this way and as Gen-Xers we literally have decades of prime buying years still to go.

#28 ·
Don't think that will happen. No one continent product has ever been successfully built and sold at a profit for over 10 years. If you axe the lower volume V6 and only have SRT/Hellcat higher priced vehicles you will kill sales off. Granted the tooling will be paid for but that won't justify it at all. Govt regulation changes will force them to spend money to keep it updated and for such low volume it won't be justified. The meat of the age group that is buying these cars are 45-60 and these people will be buying fewer and fewer cars in the future so that market will dry up.

#18 ·
I came from a 13 3.7 Mustang 6 spd auto and a 14 Mustang GT manual 6 spd. The v6, I got about 24 mpg avg stock. The GT, I got about 21. The SRT....high 20 to 21 avg...same commute.

At one time I thought the lower displacement, higher revving v8's had a mpg advantage these days. After getting the SRT and not really trying to get mpg, I see the SRT is an equal to a Mustang with about 90 more cubes, 65 more HP, about 400 lbs or so more weight and being the fastest of the 3 (the 8sp auto helps some there too).

The 392 with this A8 is impressive. Maybe I'll give it a shot running ECO mode full time and trying to get mpg one of these days.

#19 ·
Tesla is not going to be the only company to offer a high performance electric...more will come and they will be cheaper to buy than a Tesla. As far as sound, well that can be artificially/electronically reproduced but most people won't care about it one way or another. keep the V8's you have as there probably will be slim pickens within a decade.

#23 ·
Tesla is not going to be the only company to offer a high performance electric...more will come and they will be cheaper to buy than a Tesla. As far as sound, well that can be artificially/electronically reproduced but most people won't care about it one way or another. keep the V8's you have as there probably will be slim pickens within a decade.
LOL when I was 19 my brother drove a 2008 VW Beetle and I superglued one of these into his cigarette lighter. He hated me for about a month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo

#22 ·
V6's can be refuled just as quickly as your V8...which was the originol point of the article. V8's, in general, are a dying breed an endangered species

#24 ·
That's great. Now instead of debating which muffler has the best exhaust note, we will be arguing and defending our choice of exhaust speaker.

"Hey man, what sound system are you running for your exhaust?"
"I'm running mono"
" Stereo sounds way better."
" Well I have been thinking about upgrading, but I can't decided between stereo and Quadra phonic"
"Oh don't go Quadra phonic, the drone will be unbearable"
:)
Can't wait for that.

Jeff

#29 ·
That's great. Now instead of debating which muffler has the best exhaust note, we will be arguing and defending our choice of exhaust speaker.

"Hey man, what sound system are you running for your exhaust?"
"I'm running mono"
" Stereo sounds way better."
" Well I have been thinking about upgrading, but I can't decided between stereo and Quadra phonic"
"Oh don't go Quadra phonic, the drone will be unbearable"
:)
Can't wait for that.

Jeff
googlephonic stereo will be the only way to go

#27 · (Edited)
The debate back and forth about this reminds me of something I tell car guys who don't get the whole Challenger retro v8 thing in general. I say to them... you have hundreds of cars that you like to choose from that meet your needs that are very much alike and I am happy for you. So thanks if you're ok to let those who feel otherwise have but ONE 'new' car they like too.

0:)

#32 · (Edited)
Oregon preps program to swap mileage tax for gas tax

This is what will happen.The gas tax revenue will go down so they will tax mileage.The people of Oregon went with fuel efficient and electric,this will be the reward.The electrc drivers are having a fit.
I drive only six miles a day, so my gas guzzlers the tax should go down while fuel efficient segment will pay
Here in TX the EPA has a war against the coal fired electric plants even though they have all upgraded to clean burn.It's not just TX caught in this conundrum whitch could only lead to higher electricity prices on top of constant threat of the Feds wanting to tax excessive electrcity use.
The shutting down of electrc plants,or the not building of new will also cause the every one plugs in the lights go out.
All this could be entertaining for sure,but no one will be laughing.

#35 ·
That's why I tell all my Hybrids friends to do the math. There's so many articles surrounding the impact of manufacturing those cars and the impact of the battery disposal and also how the cost to generate electricity has a larger impact then gas (see below). I'll stick to my R/T soon to be Shaker Scat Pack and enjoy life...

The trouble with plug-in hybrids (and electric cars, too) is that electricity isn't always cleaner than gasoline. More than 45 percent of electricity in the U.S. is generated by coal-powered plants [source: EIA]. According to another Argonne National Laboratory report, if a plug-in hybrid charges from coal-generated electricity, it could be responsible for emitting up to 10 percent more greenhouse gasses than a conventional vehicle and up to 60 percent more than a standard hybrid [source: Elgowainy].

#37 · (Edited)
Electric cars are one of the biggest lies proposed

The HAZMAT issues of both building batteries, and disposing of them is HUGE. The cars will be charged by power companies that use petroleum based fuels to generate electricity. Our overloaded electrical grids will fail when everyone starts charging their cars. This initiative is a total "crock o' tree hugger sh!t."

Reactions: randycat99
#39 · (Edited)
I don't worry or care if they get rid of the V8

I have mine. I can get a newer one prior to 19,' or keep what I have and upgrade it. Could be an initiative that makes our cars even more special. I may buy another V8 powered car for the stable just because nothing will replace the driver experience of the majestic V8. I'm actually considering getting a hold of a 5.7 Challenger as a second "Toy" car. I've gone back and forth with considering purchasing a Hell Cat. I really believe that the V8 days are numbered.....and that we will re-live 1971 again. If this happens, these V8 cars will be "stuck in time." Technology will make the V6 Turbo cars faster than current stock Hell Cat's. But, the aftermarket will respond. Technology will be developed and made available to make these surviving V8's the most wanted street killers available. A cheap purchase of a 15' RT...a few years from now...could be a smart move. Once we start ripping those motors apart, and doing the serious mods...they will be the equivalent of the cheap Fox Body 5.0 Stangs....Only the car will actually look good.

#45 ·
The problem is that CAFE even exists and the free market is not deciding what auto manufacturers build based on how people want to use their money. There is no and never has been a shortage of oil, that's all BS.

#50 ·
#51 · (Edited)
====
Regarding your highlighted number #5 ... which basically says the Challenger is built on a big old school platform thats muscle car v8 friendly and therefore outdated...

Well ironically that IS the reason people who actually buy the Challenger love the Challenger. Yes it might bother some of the owners of cars you mentioned prior like Beetles & Miatas, (and Mustang & Camry owners etc too) who would never buy one anyway so its all a matter of glass half full vs half empty and perspective. I think we can agree a real muscle car is not focus group friendly. It's like 1974 is looming and you are saying how the Mustang II was forward thinking and the way to go. In retrospect did time treat that car so well vs a 1970 Mustang?

A greater question to ask ourselves is 'why' are we ok with being forced into buying cars we don't want by the gov't? I am not ok with that and will just have ones I do like rebuilt as needed ... and many will get to know what the Cuba car scene is basically like, first hand. LOL

#53 ·
Don't think that can legally happen... Chrysler owns the name and the design and all of that.

#54 ·
Amazing that CAFE regs will help contribute to this decision. Nice smaller Chrysler products based on Lancias and Alfas will raise the makes average fuel economy. And how big are the real world mileage gains, my DD is a Ford Escape with a 2.0 Ecoboost. I average 27-28 mpg for a mostly highway commute. My 6 speed R/T readout is always stuck at about 21-22mpg. Both premium fuel, not that much difference between and the Challenger weighs 600lbs more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.