hit and run - damaged quarter panel - opinions? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hit and run - damaged quarter panel - opinions?

Not even two thousand miles on her yet and some idiot swiped the rear of my car in the parking lot of Walmart. I even made a point to park much further out than anyone else!

After buffing by hand 70% of the damaged disappeared however I am left with visible sheet metal about 1/2 inch wide and 3 inches tall, a slight crease in the metal, and a decent sized scuff on the rear bumper.

My question is does this look like something a good body shop could touch up and blend on the quarter? I'm pretty sure the rear bumper can be wet sanded. My deductible is $500 and I'd hope doesn't come down to making a claim. I know a great body guy who won't be available until next week (out of town) but I'm trying to get opinions from forum members.

Thanks - enjoy the pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
hit and run - damaged quarter panel - opinions?-photo-1-.jpg   hit and run - damaged quarter panel - opinions?-photo.jpg  

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 6-Speed Granite Crystal Metallic

2006 Jeep Commander Limited HEMI 4x4: Traded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 03:58 AM

If it was my car, I'd eat the cost of the repair to keep it from showing up on a CarFax in the future when you might try to trade it in.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:33 AM

I agree with 71charger ... It shouldnt ost much to fix not to mention your deductable will just about do it anyways ... JM2C
Eibach Lowering springs,Mopars upgraded front and rear sway bars ,Mopar front strut tower bar, RazorsEdge rearstrut tower bar ,LMI fendermount CAI, Pred. 93 tune , functional scoops , Kooks headers , Kooks highflow cats, MBRP Catback, 180 TT, 87mm MM Throtlebody(polished) ,Moroso Billet Rad. res. and power steering tank , Moroso CC with drain..aero force guages, dual guage pod

2008 Dodge Sprinter
2010 Challenger R/T
2013 300S
Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 AM

That will probably be more than $500...bumper should be painted with flexable paint.

Sorry for your cars pain....& yours too
08 SRT8 #6077, InTune, AFE CAI, 180 TT, Catch Can, Cabin Air Filter, Speedlogix Strut Brace, Hawk HPS brake pads. Best time of 12.78@109.22
Old 12-25-2012, 11:48 AM

I really don't want to make a claim either. I'm not too concerned about the bumper. I was able to get more of the scuffs out. Anyone who's good with a electric buffer can probably make it disappear with very minimal effort.

The quarter panel really ticks me off. Such a tiny amount of damage that will end up costing me. My dad had a 73 Cuda in a similar color that was shot in the quarter with a .22 rifle. The shop was able to patch the hole w/ metal and blend the spot. You could never tell it happened.

I'm going to let my buddy take a look at it and get his opinion, he's been doing body work for 25+ years.

Btw: Got RPI splash guards and classic Challenger emblems from the wife for Xmas!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 AM

why do you not want to make an insurance claim? Is it a high deductible? If your parked car was hit, it should not impact your rates (at least it doesn't with our insurance).

-Shawn
Cerevantes (12-27-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,048 Times in 653 Posts
It should be a comprehensive claim, not collision.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 71charger_fan View Post
If it was my car, I'd eat the cost of the repair to keep it from showing up on a CarFax in the future when you might try to trade it in.
From my experience in sells we couldn't see any accidents reported to carfax from the previous owner until the dealer had already bought the vehicle and customers would never tell us it had damage so we would get screwed sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket 2012 View Post
It should be a comprehensive claim, not collision.
Exactly.

Comprehensive is usually less of a deductible. Our comprehensive deductible is $100, our collision is $500.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM

^I spoke with my agent (Nationwide) who claimed that hit and run was considered collision which doesn't make sense to me. I have a $500 collision deductible vs my $0 comprehensive deductible. He also wasn't sure if it would affect my squeaky clean history of no claims, aside from a free windshield. haha

If comprehensive then great, I'll happily make a claim since it won't cost me. Money isn't really an issue, $500 hurts but it is what it is. I believe my body man can fix this for around $500 and avoid a claim.

Last edited by Chapman89; 12-26-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.