Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hope to make you jealous

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  TOPPED_OUT 
#1 ·
or your gonna think I'm crazy. One of the two I'm sure :)

Ordered a redline red SRT 392 and should have it by Aug 8th. By the end of the 9th I will have taken care of the first 100 miles of the engine break in procedure. On the 10th, I will take care of the next 400 miles driving up the Oregon coast, and then I will goto the Outer Banks of NC and back seeing friends/family along the way. Total distance will be at least 7800 miles.

Here is my trip plan. Note the reason I am going North (leaving Louisiana)on my way back is that I have driven through AZ,NM,CA,UT,NV several times in the last 3 years.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I am thinking about getting a dashcam and recording the more interesting parts of the trip. Then speeding it up say 6-10x and posting it on youtube. But I don't know the first thing about dashcams or video editing. But I would like to document it in some way. Since I am travelling alone I dont plan on stopping anywhere special, other than in Memphis to drink a beer or two at B.B. King's bar (RIP). I also like to drive 10-12 hours a day when I travel, so that will be a lot of GBs of video data to deal with. Anybody have any suggestions?

AK

#5 ·
Congrats, you are going to have a fantastic time.
When I bought mine I had to drive it 900 miles home. During those first couple of hours I was actually giddy. Couldn't stop smiling and giggling.
The SRT has a great ride on the highway too.

#8 ·
Yes, they ride great! Have a wonderful trip, this is a great country to drive through. Not jealous- just got back from vacation in Hawaii earlier this month. Decided to take the Boeing! :thumbsup:

#11 ·
old route 66 runs right through where I live/work in IL. stop by and we'll get breakfast

#10 · (Edited)
That would be awesome trip. Getting to the 101 from Barstow thru LA would be a traffic nightmare, not sure what it would be like from there to San Fran. The SF area also big traffic. I've done Barstow to Southern Oregon last summer going up 395(along the east side of the sierras) to Reno, then back into CA to hit I 5 near Mt. Shasta. I highly recommend that way. Not to much traffic, some neat terrain.
Then pick up the 101 North of SF, from there up into WA very nice not as much traffic. Especially right time of year. Something like this https://goo.gl/maps/6YBPy

The first pic is just North of Barstow, the second is some where between Barstow and Reno , the last is Mt Shasta from the east.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/road-trip-374058/

I did this one a few months ago. 7900 miles and a lot of fun. I'd recommend stopping along the way once in a while to smell the roses.

I saw thus thread when I was still lurking. It looked like an awesome trip and I very much appreciated you taking me with ya. Since 2012 every summer I have taken my son on a trip. He is younger than yours (15 now) and we loved every minute of it.

This trip I will be by myself and stopping to smell the roses would just depress me. But I am planning on taking him to Norfolk Va to see the Nauticus Museum when I see him on this trip. Which also has the battleship USS Wisconsin (BB-64) then on a harbor boat tour that includes NOB Norfolk Naval Base. I hope at least one of the carriers in port, as I'm sure it would be an impressive sight from a small boat :)

Nauticus |

http://www.nauticus.org/exhibits/battleship-wisconsin

#15 ·
Visiting a naval yard is great. Thanks for the links to the area. We had the USS Iowa in my neck of the woods for a time in mothballs. It was moved to L.A. A few years ago.

Sharing things like this with your kids is priceless. Have a safe trip.

#16 · (Edited)
Hey fyrdude, when I was rereading your trip post I accidently clicked on a pic and it took me to your album on photobucket. I looked thru a lot of it and there are some incredible pictures up there, hope you don't mind. Saw that you went to the USS Alabama in Mobile, AL. Took my son there in 2013, it was pretty darn cool. I saw that you liked aviation museums, since you were close did you go by the Naval Avation museum in Pensacola, FL? If not, you should if you ever get back that way. They have Pappy Boyington's corsair :)

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/

Attachments

#21 ·
Hey fyrdude, when I was rereading your trip post I accidently clicked on a pic and it took me to your album on photobucket. I looked thru a lot of it and there are some incredible pictures up there, hope you don't mind. Saw that you went to the USS Alabama in Mobile, AL. Took my son there in 2013, it was pretty darn cool. I saw that you liked aviation museums, since you were close did you go by the Naval Avation museum in Pensacola, FL? If not, you should if you ever get back that way. They have Pappy Boyington's corsair :)

Welcome - National Naval Aviation Museum
We are on "road trip" schedule while there. Sorry I missed that one. Thanks for the link. Gives me food for thought for future trips...

If you went through my photo bucket, you saw I have been on four separate road trips in my Challengers.

#17 ·
Put a car bra on the front else you'll have many annoying rock chips on the front of your bumper and hood.

#20 ·
If you need a pit stop/oil change or just check-up when you are in Springfield, MO please let me know. I have a shop, would be glad to help!

#22 · (Edited)
Ok started my trip. Day 1 Oregon coast.

Bought a thinkware f750 dashcam to document the cooler parts of the drive. It saves in 1 min increments,
so I need to find a good video editing software to stitch it together and speed it up 6-10x. Not real happy with
the video quality and youtube doesn't help it. Here is a 4 min, real time example. There was fog or cloud just a
100 or so feet above and it made for bad video as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjwCAHNvgMw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.