how do you decide on what color to buy? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
how do you decide on what color to buy?

I've been looking for a few months and wasn't really thrilled with the less than colorful choices in the 2013 line.
when Plum Crazy was suggested as a "spring color" possibility I remembered how I loved those back in the day (when I was 16) and seeing some pictures reinforced that feeling so I decided on Plum Crazy when it is announced.
then I saw a 2010 Plum Crazy SRT8 behind the dealership, it was filthy including plenty of bird crap, scratches and stickers on the rear window.... not to mention the tires were worn out. (I really hope it's not a member's car here)
the color turned me pretty much off but I'm wondering if it wasn't dirty if I'd have the same reaction.

now I'm not sure, I plan on keeping the car probably 5-7 years and want something I can live with long term.

now I'm wondering if White, maybe Billet Silver aren't better long term "safer" choices I always bought white because I felt it was easy to care for but for my last car I went bright and exiting (for me) and I liked the color, still do so I figured bright and exiting for this car but now I'm totally derailed and can't make the call.

how do you make the choice? do you just know what you like and that's all there is?

I'm not asking anyone to tell me what color to get, just why you pick what you do and if it's a logical choice or emotional... do you factor how much time it takes to keep it beautiful? does it make any difference if it's a daily driver or a weekend toy? mines going to be a weekend toy..

thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Re: how do you decide on what color to buy?

Mine its a dd, and the toxic orange has always been a color i have drooled over. So it was a no brainer!

If its a weekend toy, I wouldn't worry about what's easier to clean. Go with what you enjoy!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM

how do you decide on what color to buy?

Personally I was driving by a dealer and went for the one that made my neck break as we went on by

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Banned byself inflicted implosion (mental midget syndrome)

I've always been a fan of black, so my first Challenger was black. It was gorgeous, and I was prepared for the cleaning ritual that goes with owning a black car, but I was not prepared to see 20 black Challengers show up at every stinking Mopar show or race.

I then started doing some research to see what colors were the least popular. I didn't like a couple of them, but I was surprised to see that white was pretty low on the list. I put a vision together in my head and was able to pull of a great trade deal after a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to novawagonmaster For This Useful Post:
aldo90731 (05-02-2013)
#5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Only two cars existed at the time that had the options I wanted/didn't want, a PCP and Brilliant Black. Went with the black, and never went back! Sure PCP is cool as an impact color, but as a daily driver the black lays low, but is the MOST menacing looking color for our car (when cleaned and waxed.)

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic STP, sunroof, tint, 430 rbz, 3.92 gears, 6 speed.
MODS:
Zoomers catback exhaust
AFE Stage II cold air intake
Barton short throw shifter
Fastman ported throttle body
Diablo CMR tune by Johan
Mopar hood struts
Mopar strut tower brace
Spohn sway bar end links
Speedlogix rear adjustable control arms
Speedlogix tension bars
Jet 180* t-stat
SRT8 6.1 chin spoiler
Billet Technology catch can
#6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Look at all the colors at a show or a large dealer side by side and make your decision after thinking about it for a while. It sounds like you will like purple. Look at some of the cleaned up photos on here. PCP is a really nice choice. For me it is white, but everybody has their tastes, thats why its up to you. We all wish we could have three or four Challengers but for most of us that just is not possible.

2006 Stone White Dodge Magnum AWD R/T
#7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRumble View Post
Only two cars existed at the time that had the options I wanted/didn't want, a PCP and Brilliant Black. Went with the black, and never went back! Sure PCP is cool as an impact color, but as a daily driver the black lays low, but is the MOST menacing looking color for our car (when cleaned and waxed.)
I agree, Black is the best Challenger color IMO but I'm too OCD, I'd be in the garage with a California duster,
a polisher, swirl remover, sealer and wax every night waiting for some of this Texas sandy dust to fall on it.
I am not prepared to maintain a Black car, even though it's my all time favorite color on a Challenger.

I saw the Jazz Blue finally and it's beautiful but in the same category as Black and Granite to me, too dark to
take care of.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 944 Posts
Looking at the available cars at surrounding dealers on the dodge website, the yellow had the most appeal in 2012. Mine is not daily driven so the loud color is fine. I prefer this car in only the impact colors.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is
impossible- but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver88 View Post
do you just know what you like and that's all there is?
I think that's a good way of asking the question. The long version of my answer would be pretty wordy but I think some cars look better in some colors than others, and other people feel exactly the opposite to my preferences.

There was a thread last year asking people to list their top 3 challenger colors since the rebirth and the list, like human beings, was all over the place.

2012 Challenger R/T
16 valves, 8 cylinders, 6 speeds, 4 wheels, 1 smile.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM

I knew right away when I went to the dealer. Mine chose me. It was a no brainer.

2013 R/T CLASSIC
Granite Crystal & Radar Red

MOPAR Cat Back Exhaust-Muffler delete
MOPAR Stage 1 Lowering Springs
MOPAR Strut Tower Brace
MOPAR Hood Pins
BT RED ANODIZED Pedal Kit, Fuse Box Cover, Engine Kit & Devo Strut Covers
BT Catch Can
TRUE CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode