Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How to keep dealer from flashing/updating car?

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  wasp392 
#1 ·
On my 2012 Challenger R/T, I took it in at 3000 miles for it's first oil change at the dealer. They checked for updates and ended up flashing an update to my car that basically ruined the vehicle for me. When I got it back the car never shifted hard again and the automatic stays stuck in 2nd gear forever when it should be in 3rd or 4th gear. I went through numerous complaints and Dodge customer service and after 2 months they sent a factory rep and an engineer to come drive my car. They noticed it and admitted they understood my complaint, but did not know how to fix it. So they wrote on the report to the higher ups at Dodge it was operating normally. Through the threat of a lawyer, bad idea, and several more trips to the dealer to complain the engineer sent an "experimental flash" for the dealer to install. I feel to this day it did nothing to fix my car and have driven several other 2012 Challenger R/T automatics and they all shift how mine did when I bought it new. That brings me to now, I had synthetic oil installed at 3000 miles and am needing another oil change when it comes out of storage. How can I guarantee the dealer will not check for updates and flash my car again? I need a sure fire way to prevent them from any flashing or updates installed on my oil change.
Sorry so long but Thanks in advance,
Ken

#2 · (Edited)
First I'd let the service writer know that you don't give permission for them to install ANY updates unless they talk to you first!.

Second, put a note on the steering wheel, I've done this before.
I'd take a pic of the note on the steering wheel as proof, just in case.

#4 ·
#5 ·
They are pricey but...you could get a tuner. Can change shift points, load more aggressive tunes, datalog and get custom tunes...Noticeable difference on mine.

And if they ever re-flash it, when you get home you just load your performance tune back on and it over writes whatever they did.

#6 ·
I have the Diablo tuner, didn't fix shifting issues. It's more of a shift timing thing then firmness problem. I have been thinking about getting the Tranzformer module for the transmission only, but have to get ahold of the company to see how they co-exist with the Diablo tuner. The reason for going to the dealer is they are the cheapest synthetic oil change in my area.

#14 ·
If the dealer flashes your ECU, it often installs a different Cal ID. If this happens, there is no guarantee that any of the Diablo tuners will have the older CAL ID for you to reinstall.

Best to communicate before hand with the dealership service manager, service writer and technicians that under no circumstances are they to flash your car's ECU. Get it in writing. You can also tape a note over the OBDII port under your dash that reads DO NOT FLASH .

If the dealer has a problem agreeing to the above, find a different dealer.

#18 ·
Not making fun of the OP's situation as I feel his pain; but....... LOL, all of the people on here and not on here that swear they won't do ANY mods because it might void their warranty...right! And dealers than can't even do an oil change without screwing something up and you're concerned about voiding a warranty? So much for a factory warranty.>:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.