Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How long can you leave your Challenger in accessories mode?

18K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  blueiron 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Dodge Challenger and was wondering how long it could stay in accessories mode? (Pressing the button once to active the radio and windows.)

We have some Drive-in theaters around here that put the movie audio on the radio, and I couldn't imagine letting it idle for 2 to 3 hours.

Thanks! ?

#2 ·
Back in the day, car keys had accessory, run and start. You could put the key into run and it would appear the same as accessory except it powered the engine ignition. The problem with that is that it would burn up a thing called "points" in the distributor. That is not a problem any more.

Back to the original question, there is no harm to draining the battery for 2-3 hours of radio.

#6 ·
you can set the time for accessories up to at least an hour, I used to eat lunch in mine daily in the parking lot at work, and would sit for 45 minutes in accessory with radio on with no problems. I will warn that doing that often will cause the battery in your remote door lock fob to die quicker.

#8 ·
I adjusted mine through the ECS or whatever the app is in the steering wheel options. it allows you to set it at several different time intervals. If I needed to go longer than an hour, just start car, shut it off then go into accessory again and good for another hour

My car is a 2010, so it should be pretty close to yours.

#9 ·
We have a Drive-In close by us that we go to in the summer....went twice last year and never had a problem. I've also been known to have the radio on if I'm working in the garage.

Ultimately though, it does depend on how good your battery is...if it's on it's last legs, you might want to be careful (had a situation once about 20 years ago...it involved 20 year old me, my 18 year old Girlfriend, a deserted country road, and a 1985 Mercury with a too-old battery....the story ended with a 5 miles walk at 2 a.m. lol)

#10 ·
...had a situation once about 20 years ago...it involved 20 year old me, my 18 year old Girlfriend, a deserted country road, and a 1985 Mercury with a too-old battery....the story ended with a 5 miles walk at 2 a.m. lol)
What a great memory!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.