How much oil DOES the 6.1L really take ?? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
 

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 PM
mokeman3's Avatar
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Covington, WA
Posts: 1,298
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much oil DOES the 6.1L really take ??

Ok, this is sorta getting to me now...

6,700 miles, and I changed oil twice now, and I still don't have a good feel on exactaly how much 0W40 oil is required for an oil change to put the oil on the right spot on the dip stick.

When I did my first oil change at ~3,300 miles, I drained the oil, and installed a Mopar 988AB filter (which I later found leaking, but that's is/was a seperate topic). I remember that 7 quarts was too much, and the next day I found the oil level too high when I checked it at the resturant that I frequent after work. I didn't worry about then since it was still using oil at 3,300 miles.

Well, I changed my oil about a week ago for the second time, and this time put in only 6.5 quarts. After I was done, I started it, let it run for a minute or two, then shut it down and waited at least 10-15 minutes, then checked the oil level. The car was perfectly level (checked with a 3-foot level under the rocker panel). It was 1/2 quart low, so I put hte last 1/2 quart in for a total of 7 quarts.

Today I checked it at work in the parking garage of our office building after sitting for at least 6+ hours, and I find that it's too high, and darn near at the first bend in the dip stick which is about equal to 1X the shaded area over the top of the shaded area. The dipstick says to NOT overfill.

So if the shaded (hash mark stamped) portion of the dipstick represents 1-quart, this would indicate that I'm 1-quart too full.

So:
1) how much oil does the thing hold (with either the Mopar 899, or Fram PH-2 filter) ?

2) how much oil does the area in the hash/shaded area of the dipstick represent ?

3) should I drain some oil out? (either with my new drain valve, or dropping the Fram PH-2 filter and replacing it with the new K&N 2010 filter that I just got) ?

Thanks,
MM3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2009, 07:12 PM
snowcat256's Avatar
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,413
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 313
Thanked 82 Times in 55 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do as the owners manual says

The SRT8 takes 7qts.
__________________
08 SRT8 Upgrades:
AIRAID
Blastin Bobs 3" resonated delete
Powder coated SRT rims w/metal accent

Challenger sills & mats w/pedal dress up
Quad rear tips
Mopar steering wheel upgrade
Blend Mount
Sequential tails
Hurst kit
B.T. c/can

Pettys tower brace x 2
Eibach F & R sway bar

KW V2 coil overs
Pedders F & R





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 PM
mokeman3's Avatar
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Covington, WA
Posts: 1,298
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by snowcat256 View Post
The SRT8 takes 7qts.
Well all right then...

Guess I was thinking with my dipstick
YouTube - Castrol EDGE - Think With Your Dipstick

MM3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
snowcat256's Avatar
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,413
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 313
Thanked 82 Times in 55 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wack !!!

Originally Posted by mokeman3 View Post
Well all right then...

Guess I was thinking with my dipstick
YouTube - Castrol EDGE - Think With Your Dipstick

MM3

If that guy wacked me behind the legs like that...He would be trying to talk with no teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
mokeman3's Avatar
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Covington, WA
Posts: 1,298
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by snowcat256 View Post
If that guy wacked me behind the legs like that...He would be trying to talk with no teeth.

Yeah, well, I feel like whacking someone at Chrysler with my dipstick (the one in the car that is)...

Do you guys think it's possible that I got the wrong dipstick in my car?

As I said, 7 quarts is putting the oil level WAY past the full mark, and to the first bend in the dipstick. This seems very wrong. Maybe they put in a 5.7L dipstick in at the factory by mistake? Does the 5.7L/RT take 6 quarts ?

MM3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 137
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think it probably is just different because of the times which you are checking it. Right after the engine has been on a lot of the oil will still be in the engine, it hasn't drained down into the pan. After it has been off for a long time most of the oil will have made its way down into the pan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 PM
mokeman3's Avatar
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Covington, WA
Posts: 1,298
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by Boostedfool View Post
I think it probably is just different because of the times which you are checking it. Right after the engine has been on a lot of the oil will still be in the engine, it hasn't drained down into the pan. After it has been off for a long time most of the oil will have made its way down into the pan.
True (and I thought about that too), but this still doesn't address my original concern ...

If the book (and everyone else here) is saying that the thing takes seven (7) quarts of oil (0W40 Mobile-1), then why the h3ll isn't the oil level even remotely close to the full mark on the dip stick?

7 quarts puts the oil level well past the full mark, and right at the base of the bend in dipstick. This doesn't seem right. If it did, you can acually be a quart low on oil, and the oil level could still be on, or above the full mark on the dipstick. Somein ain't right.

MM3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 PM
MoparRick's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,399
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OK Moke,
I tried a little test for y'a.
Not sure this is any good but it may help you.
I went out to the garage and removed my cars dipstick and measured the lenght of the METAL part. I did not include the yellow plastic pull "thigny"
The METAL stick part measured 261/2" long. If yours is the same lenght then 7 quarts is the correct amount of oil to put in your SRT Amigo.

Hope this helps....
__________________
Orange, 09 SRT, Loaded 6 speed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2009, 07:07 PM
dodgeboy16's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Roebling N.J.
Posts: 368
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by mokeman3 View Post
Ok, this is sorta getting to me now...

6,700 miles, and I changed oil twice now, and I still don't have a good feel on exactaly how much 0W40 oil is required for an oil change to put the oil on the right spot on the dip stick.

When I did my first oil change at ~3,300 miles, I drained the oil, and installed a Mopar 988AB filter (which I later found leaking, but that's is/was a seperate topic). I remember that 7 quarts was too much, and the next day I found the oil level too high when I checked it at the resturant that I frequent after work. I didn't worry about then since it was still using oil at 3,300 miles.

Well, I changed my oil about a week ago for the second time, and this time put in only 6.5 quarts. After I was done, I started it, let it run for a minute or two, then shut it down and waited at least 10-15 minutes, then checked the oil level. The car was perfectly level (checked with a 3-foot level under the rocker panel). It was 1/2 quart low, so I put hte last 1/2 quart in for a total of 7 quarts.

Today I checked it at work in the parking garage of our office building after sitting for at least 6+ hours, and I find that it's too high, and darn near at the first bend in the dip stick which is about equal to 1X the shaded area over the top of the shaded area. The dipstick says to NOT overfill.

So if the shaded (hash mark stamped) portion of the dipstick represents 1-quart, this would indicate that I'm 1-quart too full.

So:
1) how much oil does the thing hold (with either the Mopar 899, or Fram PH-2 filter) ?

2) how much oil does the area in the hash/shaded area of the dipstick represent ?

3) should I drain some oil out? (either with my new drain valve, or dropping the Fram PH-2 filter and replacing it with the new K&N 2010 filter that I just got) ?

Thanks,
MM3

Make sure that the engine is hot, or has not been run at all (better). The 6.1s and I don't know why ( I think there is a lot of oil, as much as a quart, trapped up top ) need to be left to drain for awhile, the longer the better. The 6.1s TAKE 7 QTs. Hope this helps you.




Jack
__________________
2005 Dodge SRT-10 RC Still Own
2006 Chrysler SRT8 Sold
2006 Chrysler SRT8 Sold
2008 Jeep GCSRT8 Sold
2009 Challenger SRT8 Sold
2010 Jeep GCSRT8 Still Own
2011 Challenger SRT8 Still Own

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,605
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What freaks me is when I look at the other side of the dipstick the oil is significantly, well let me rephrase that to "noticeably" lower that on the marked side. Anyone else notice same ? I'm going by the marked side but what's up with that if it's across the board ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arrington Oil Separator install on Kenne Bell, fresh air side. rick s Forced Induction 6 12-27-2012 08:57 AM
First oil change - oil soaked air filter. laurag146 Challenger Issues & Problems 7 07-28-2012 08:03 PM
Code P000B kbr577 Tuning/Data 3 07-27-2012 12:56 PM
Oil Change From HELL!!! KDodge75 General Challenger Discussion 44 07-07-2012 07:04 PM
OE Oil Type ? 1Fast392 General Challenger Discussion 8 06-16-2012 07:14 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.