How much oil DOES the 6.1L really take ?? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much oil DOES the 6.1L really take ??

Ok, this is sorta getting to me now...

6,700 miles, and I changed oil twice now, and I still don't have a good feel on exactaly how much 0W40 oil is required for an oil change to put the oil on the right spot on the dip stick.

When I did my first oil change at ~3,300 miles, I drained the oil, and installed a Mopar 988AB filter (which I later found leaking, but that's is/was a seperate topic). I remember that 7 quarts was too much, and the next day I found the oil level too high when I checked it at the resturant that I frequent after work. I didn't worry about then since it was still using oil at 3,300 miles.

Well, I changed my oil about a week ago for the second time, and this time put in only 6.5 quarts. After I was done, I started it, let it run for a minute or two, then shut it down and waited at least 10-15 minutes, then checked the oil level. The car was perfectly level (checked with a 3-foot level under the rocker panel). It was 1/2 quart low, so I put hte last 1/2 quart in for a total of 7 quarts.

Today I checked it at work in the parking garage of our office building after sitting for at least 6+ hours, and I find that it's too high, and darn near at the first bend in the dip stick which is about equal to 1X the shaded area over the top of the shaded area. The dipstick says to NOT overfill.

So if the shaded (hash mark stamped) portion of the dipstick represents 1-quart, this would indicate that I'm 1-quart too full.

So:
1) how much oil does the thing hold (with either the Mopar 899, or Fram PH-2 filter) ?

2) how much oil does the area in the hash/shaded area of the dipstick represent ?

3) should I drain some oil out? (either with my new drain valve, or dropping the Fram PH-2 filter and replacing it with the new K&N 2010 filter that I just got) ?

Thanks,
MM3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do as the owners manual says

The SRT8 takes 7qts.
Powder coated SRT rims w/metal accent

Challenger sills & mats w/pedal dress up
Quad rear tips
Mopar steering wheel upgrade
Blend Mount
Sequential tails
Hurst kit
B.T. c/can

Pettys tower brace x 2
Eibach F & R sway bar

KW V2 coil overs
Pedders F & R

Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by snowcat256 View Post
The SRT8 takes 7qts.
Well all right then...

Guess I was thinking with my dipstick
YouTube - Castrol EDGE - Think With Your Dipstick

MM3
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wack !!!

Originally Posted by mokeman3 View Post
Well all right then...

Guess I was thinking with my dipstick
YouTube - Castrol EDGE - Think With Your Dipstick

MM3

If that guy wacked me behind the legs like that...He would be trying to talk with no teeth.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by snowcat256 View Post
If that guy wacked me behind the legs like that...He would be trying to talk with no teeth.

Yeah, well, I feel like whacking someone at Chrysler with my dipstick (the one in the car that is)...

Do you guys think it's possible that I got the wrong dipstick in my car?

As I said, 7 quarts is putting the oil level WAY past the full mark, and to the first bend in the dipstick. This seems very wrong. Maybe they put in a 5.7L dipstick in at the factory by mistake? Does the 5.7L/RT take 6 quarts ?

MM3
Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 AM

I think it probably is just different because of the times which you are checking it. Right after the engine has been on a lot of the oil will still be in the engine, it hasn't drained down into the pan. After it has been off for a long time most of the oil will have made its way down into the pan.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by Boostedfool View Post
I think it probably is just different because of the times which you are checking it. Right after the engine has been on a lot of the oil will still be in the engine, it hasn't drained down into the pan. After it has been off for a long time most of the oil will have made its way down into the pan.
True (and I thought about that too), but this still doesn't address my original concern ...

If the book (and everyone else here) is saying that the thing takes seven (7) quarts of oil (0W40 Mobile-1), then why the h3ll isn't the oil level even remotely close to the full mark on the dip stick?

7 quarts puts the oil level well past the full mark, and right at the base of the bend in dipstick. This doesn't seem right. If it did, you can acually be a quart low on oil, and the oil level could still be on, or above the full mark on the dipstick. Somein ain't right.

MM3
Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 PM

OK Moke,
I tried a little test for y'a.
Not sure this is any good but it may help you.
I went out to the garage and removed my cars dipstick and measured the lenght of the METAL part. I did not include the yellow plastic pull "thigny"
The METAL stick part measured 261/2" long. If yours is the same lenght then 7 quarts is the correct amount of oil to put in your SRT Amigo.

Hope this helps....
Old 09-02-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by mokeman3 View Post
Ok, this is sorta getting to me now...

6,700 miles, and I changed oil twice now, and I still don't have a good feel on exactaly how much 0W40 oil is required for an oil change to put the oil on the right spot on the dip stick.

When I did my first oil change at ~3,300 miles, I drained the oil, and installed a Mopar 988AB filter (which I later found leaking, but that's is/was a seperate topic). I remember that 7 quarts was too much, and the next day I found the oil level too high when I checked it at the resturant that I frequent after work. I didn't worry about then since it was still using oil at 3,300 miles.

Well, I changed my oil about a week ago for the second time, and this time put in only 6.5 quarts. After I was done, I started it, let it run for a minute or two, then shut it down and waited at least 10-15 minutes, then checked the oil level. The car was perfectly level (checked with a 3-foot level under the rocker panel). It was 1/2 quart low, so I put hte last 1/2 quart in for a total of 7 quarts.

Today I checked it at work in the parking garage of our office building after sitting for at least 6+ hours, and I find that it's too high, and darn near at the first bend in the dip stick which is about equal to 1X the shaded area over the top of the shaded area. The dipstick says to NOT overfill.

So if the shaded (hash mark stamped) portion of the dipstick represents 1-quart, this would indicate that I'm 1-quart too full.

So:
1) how much oil does the thing hold (with either the Mopar 899, or Fram PH-2 filter) ?

2) how much oil does the area in the hash/shaded area of the dipstick represent ?

3) should I drain some oil out? (either with my new drain valve, or dropping the Fram PH-2 filter and replacing it with the new K&N 2010 filter that I just got) ?

Thanks,
MM3

Make sure that the engine is hot, or has not been run at all (better). The 6.1s and I don't know why ( I think there is a lot of oil, as much as a quart, trapped up top ) need to be left to drain for awhile, the longer the better. The 6.1s TAKE 7 QTs. Hope this helps you.

Jack
2008 Jeep GCSRT8 Sold
2009 Challenger SRT8 Sold
2010 Jeep GCSRT8 Still Own
2011 Challenger SRT8 Still Own

Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

What freaks me is when I look at the other side of the dipstick the oil is significantly, well let me rephrase that to "noticeably" lower that on the marked side. Anyone else notice same ? I'm going by the marked side but what's up with that if it's across the board ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.