Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How to refuse Valet?

6K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  whiterabbit 
#1 ·
So I'm going to a restaraunt tonight that I'm pretty sure is valet only. It's my girlfriends grandmothers 90th birthday and her restaraunt of choice which mean not going there really isn't an option. So posters here will say "get over it it just a car" or "don't worry it will be fine". Here's the catch for me at least. The car is a little over a year old. It arrived with 0.7 miles and has never been driven by ANYONE but me. Only ppl to ever even drive it is the person who drove it out of the factory and the truck driver on and off the truck. I kinda like that stat personally and Id highly prefer to keep it that way for now. Well at least not having a valet person to break that streak. I also joke around when ppl ask to take it for a spin with the response "nobody has ever drivin this car but me and the only person who will ever get a chance is my father because I dinged up two of his cars when I was young. He's earned it by default"

Any suggestions to make this go easy without a scene? I was simple just going to say "it's alright I got it. Where do you want it" and hand him/her a 10. What if they insist about being valet only?

#4 ·
Simple. Pull up and give the valet a generous tip (not over the top) and politely ask him to direct you to where you can park it.

I highly doubt they will insist.

#7 ·
Is the parking area a surface lot (as opposed to a multi-level parking ramp)? If so, I would guess that it would be no problem for you to simply say "I prefer to park it myself," and give the attendant whatever tip he or she would ordinarily get. Same with collecting the vehicle at the end of the event. You might consider offering to drop the girlfriend off at the entrance.

If the valet parking people won't allow self parking, then you will have to seek alternative parking; what is the area where the venue located like?

Finally, if all else fails, you might consider taking a different vehicle. I have done things like this in the past, and found that people tend to look a me strangely, with some commenting, "It's just a car." Yeah, but it's my car.

#8 ·
15RT, I agree and that's what I was planning on doing. Is $10 too little for someone to do nothing though. I think it will work and there won't be an issue but in the chance he says no I was looking for a "backup" plan to avoid asking for a manager or something. I figured someone here had to encounter something like this and it's why I asked.

Also I understand this seems and is a very insignificant "dilemma" in the grand scheme of life. I just wanted to make that clear so I don't seem like some pompous ass. If this is my biggest problem today, this weekend, month, or year than I count my self very lucky and understand and respect that

#12 ·
15RT, I agree and that's what I was planning on doing. Is $10 too little for someone to do nothing though. I think it will work and there won't be an issue but in the chance he says no I was looking for a "backup" plan to avoid asking for a manager or something. I figured someone here had to encounter something like this and it's why I asked.
I use to valet park cars when i was in college . You should never valet park your car ever esp if you cant see the parking area. I never do or ever will. I just say i will park it myself buddy.That usually does the trick.
I also valeted in college. Ask me how I learned to drive a stick :nerd:

The valet will be grateful for one less car to park and run for at the end of the evening, and will be even more grateful for an extra $10 to do nothing

#9 ·
Kjo, yes it actually is a surface lot and it's attached to the building. You have to go through the valet area to get to it though which also does make it easy to drop off the girl. I think my back up plan if he were to say no it's valet only would be "hop in (passenger seat) and show me where you want it"

#16 ·
This should be a fairly simple dilemma to solve UNLESS the parking lot is designed as a jam packed cluster with 2 to 4 layers of cars lined up in tandem and side to side in randomized directions. In those type of lots, there's no way on earth they'd allow you to self park because they would have to play chess with your car throughout the night as people come and go.

Assuming that's not the case, in accordance with what the folks above mentioned, flash the cash and then say, "I'd like to park it myself. Where can I put it?" You may not even have to take the valet for a ride.

And don't feel weird about it. It's your car- you do as you see fit. A few people in the past have commented about my not liking valet. These were the same people who didn't even own cars themselves or who were mooching a ride from me in the first place, so I just told them to shut up or get out and walk home.

#10 ·
I use to valet park cars when i was in college . You should never valet park your car ever esp if you cant see the parking area. I never do or ever will. I just say i will park it myself buddy.That usually does the trick.

#11 ·
So I'm going to a restaraunt tonight that I'm pretty sure is valet only. It's my girlfriends grandmothers 90th birthday and her restaraunt of choice which mean not going there really isn't an option. So posters here will say "get over it it just a car" or "don't worry it will be fine". Here's the catch for me at least. The car is a little over a year old. It arrived with 0.7 miles and has never been driven by ANYONE but me. Only ppl to ever even drive it is the person who drove it out of the factory and the truck driver on and off the truck. I kinda like that stat personally and Id highly prefer to keep it that way for now. Well at least not having a valet person to break that streak. I also joke around when ppl ask to take it for a spin with the response "nobody has ever drivin this car but me and the only person who will ever get a chance is my father because I dinged up two of his cars when I was young. He's earned it by default"

Any suggestions to make this go easy without a scene? I was simple just going to say "it's alright I got it. Where do you want it" and hand him/her a 10. What if they insist about being valet only?

When you get our direct the girlfriend and or others to the reseraunt and tell them you will be right in. Tip the valet and tell him to "get in..I'll drive" ride together so you know where the car is and after dinner find same valet tip him well and say"Lets go get my car...I'll drive" Just be discrete

#17 ·
Impress your girlfriend and rent a limo for the night and that way you can both drink and not have to worry about drinking and driving. They aren't that expensive.
Winner! No question about it, if you can't drop them off and park it yourself some place safe, this is what I would do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 · (Edited)
I try my best not to let anyone drive my car, not even when I get it serviced. A car like a Challenger will get abused. For some reason stupidity and immaturity kick in whenever someone gets ahold of a fast car. For example, when I got new tires, they pulled my car out and did a tire squeal right in front of me. When I got an exhaust put on, they scraped the air dam on a curb. Both times I told them not to drive it. Anyways, we have valet all over the city, I just park it myself. I'm not going to pay someone to abuse a muscle car. Prepare for valet guys to be mad.

#21 ·
Go with the odds. If this is the first and only time you hand the keys over, you'll be fine.

The only thing I do with a valet is get them to verify that they will back it in. The valets around here park Rolls Royces, Ferarris, Aventadors and the like (restaurants, reserve seat movie theaters, etc), so I feel safer.

Sometimes I let them 'catch me' taking a cell pic of the odometer, but its really not necessary.

#22 ·
Well just a follow up. Everything went MUCH smoother than expected. There was a sign that said "valet $10" When we pulled up I got out to let my girlfriend out, as I walked back to the drivers door the valet said "it will be $10 sir" as he was ripping off a ticket to give me. I said "here's 20 Ill park it myself. Where do you want it?" He's said "you can pull it right here sir" Which was right in the front away from people, other cars, and all the chaos.

Worked out. My streak continues!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.