Jacking up the car under the differential - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jacking up the car under the differential

Is it safe to jack the car up by putting a jack under the differential and lifting? I know that there are the 4 lift points, but since I need to get the entirs rear up off the ground at the same time, it seems that the rear differential would be the best place. Will this work? Has anyone done this?

2009 TORRED 6 spd, Blown Arrington 426 engine, Arrington 90mm Billet TB W/ nitrous, MBRP exhaust, 1400hp axles, Spec 900TQ clutch, Hurst shifter, catless mids, Hotchkis suspension, HopNot stage 2, Sport Muscle wheels, SLP Line lock, Carbon Fiber front / rear spoilers, CAI and fuse cover, Mopar strut tower brace, Custom paint and graphics, ZEX nitrous, Braided lines, 792.3hp and 821.2 torque on Superflow Dyno, and frikkin laser beams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (15)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I do. I always use a block of wood in the jack saddle and place it just behind, but up against the bottom drain plug. The wood distributes the weight evenly on the body & fins (you don't want to break a cooling fin off).

2009 R/T 27F, 6-Speed Tremec
Mods: Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Struts, Functional Hood Scoops, RPI Designs Mud Flaps, Cabin Air Filter, OEM Sound Group II

Old 11-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking of the exact same location, but wanted to know if anyone else has used this spot. I am doing the rear sway bar change next weekend and need to get the rear end up as high as possible.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Snakepitt,

I've jacked up under the differential several times with a floor jack. I usually have a hunk of 2X4 on the jack.

I also have jacked up under the rear-most front crossmember with no apparent ill effect. There are two front crossmembers and the rear one seems to be more sturdy. It's hiding under the belly pan. I had a piece of wood on the jack for that, too. First I had the front of the car up on ramps and I went from there.

Trying to jack the car up using the recommended jack points is a pain when you're using a floor jack and jack stands.

Bill
180 Thermostat
Eibach Pro Springs
SRT8 Front Spoiler
Sport Muscle Dyno 5 Rims (20x9 and 20x10)
245/45/20 and 275/40/20 Toyo Proxes 4 Tires

Old 11-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by snakepitt1 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking of the exact same location, but wanted to know if anyone else has used this spot. I am doing the rear sway bar change next weekend and need to get the rear end up as high as possible.
I've done the same thing for changing the rear sway bar as well. Use the notched rear rockers for the jackstand heads to support the body.

When lowering the rear subframe, you don't want to lower any more (4"-5")than needed, otherwise the tops of the rear springs will drop free of the upper cup/rubber isolator (one more thing to guide back in).

Support the driver's side rear exhuast pipe so it doesn't get kinked when you unbolt the rear resonators - you can leave the hangers attached at the differential area, the angle isn't that much and the exhaust can tilt with it.

When you raise the subframe back up to re-install it start the longer (rear bolts) by hand, then tighten and raise the subframe more with the jack and then start the front bolts by hand and then tighten them.

If you have the Nivomats (black body) if you have an R/T. [N/A for the SRT-those have the yellow Bilsteins], you don't need to remove the shocks from the car - the lower attachment bolt in the control arm is sufficient.

Once you have the car on the ground again, re-torque the four big bolts that secure the subrame to the body. With the rubber biscuits compressed by weight, you might need more tightening.

Don't forget to put that sticky grease that Hotchkis supplies onto the bushings - and install the new bracket zerk fittings facing outward.

You'll like what the new swaybars will do for cornering...

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
Old 11-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Have jacked the rear under the differential w/o any problems, then used the jackstands at the rocker panel points for stability. Car has waaaaay too much plastic underneath. In the future, these cars will be impossible to restore, where will you get all the plastic parts?
Old 11-08-2009, 03:33 PM

I know jacking by the rear diff is doable, but if you look weel, just behind the rear diff is a steel crossmember just behind it. That is a WAY better location to jack it up by...
Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM

On the same subject... how about the front of the car? Can you jack up the front from a single point?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 808srt8 View Post
I know jacking by the rear diff is doable, but if you look weel, just behind the rear diff is a steel crossmember just behind it. That is a WAY better location to jack it up by...
This is where I jacked mine. It's painted or powder-coated black and it works just fine, with no damage to anything. If you put a 2x4 on the jack saddle, you won't even mar the black. It'd be nice if there was a similar spot to use on the front...
Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 808srt8 View Post
X2
This is the point I used - looked like a sturdy part of a subframe right behind the pumpkin.
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.