The Joy Ride Fiasco... - Page 8 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
same thing happend to me but it was my Pastor! We were sitting there after Church and he said can I drive your Challenger ..... "sure Preacher take her for a spin" !!!

An hour and a half later he returned with a smile on his face and 2 cases of Holy Water in the back seat!!!

..... just kidding!

R/T (used to be Cuda Cliff) Bee

1954 Plymouth Savoy
1959 Chevy Apache

"She may not be the youngest gal at the ball ... but she can still turn a head or two"

[/url]

Last edited by R/T Bee; 11-27-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#72 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This could of been a lot worse, just looks like he was flying through a dip and pushed up the bumper. Back in high school a friend of mine let another buddy drive his Orbit Orange Judge as school was ending for the day, and he did this massive burnout and lost it and smashed into a telephone pole caving in the entire right side of the car, front fender, door, and the quarter took the most damage.

Last edited by Technician; 11-29-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: spelling counts
#73 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInFla View Post
(Re-Clarifying the details due to people jumping down my damn throat)

Had dinner with a girl friend. Consumed 3 beers, a full meal, coffee, and ice water over a 2.5 hour period. After leaving and headed home, but decided at the last minute to stop by my local watering hole given it was still early.

Stopped at a local bar. Had a few beers and 2 shots. Struck up a conversation with the off-duty line cook, former Army Iraq Veteran. He used to own a Challenger, but had to give it back due to financial issues with child support.

I felt bad for him. Went out for a smoke. Let my kindness and the alcohol get the best of me and in a split second made the horrible decision to let him drive it "once around the parking lot" for old time's sake. Beyond Foolish of me.

He instead went on a 30 minute joyride through a vacant parking lot, cutting over to his house behind the strip mall and returned. Upon returning the skid pad was dragging and the bumper was visibly off kilter, bent by what appears to be getting caught on a curb/parking brick of some kind.

I confronted him and he denied any issue ownership. He then went inside, paid for my bar tab, and slipped out the side door while I was checking the car again. I then called and spoke to the helpful local police to document the details just in case. They arrived, I explained and apologized for wasting their time. They offered some sound advice and gave me a case number.

I called my cousin who arrived 2.5 hours later with duct tape and zip ties to get her road worthy, during this waiting period I ate, drank Pepsi, and contemplated this horrible night.

Yes I made a very stupid mistake. Yes I let my generosity get the best of me. Yes alcohol was a factor in my decision process. No I don't drink often. No I seldom go out anymore. Yes I learned a valuable lesson.

Banging my head against the wall for it. Paying for it three fold.

Live and learn.

The Aftermath:

DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

There!

You screwed up and now you're gonna pay. Punishment has been meted out.

2010 Challenger R/T 27F DAILY DRIVER!
Tremec six speed w/Track Pack and SSE
Mopar Long Ram cold air kit
Mopar long IAT sensor
Mopar functional hood scoops
Mopar strut tower brace
Mopar performance sway bars
Mopar hood struts
Mopar door sills
Mopar splash guards
Mopar Challenger-R/T emblems-grill, rear spoiler
SHHNAPPA CAPS!
Custom dash emblem
Ziebarted and undercoated
BIG MOPAR smile on face
#74 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM

(Thread Starter)
Just heard back from my paint & body guy. Parts & Labor: $416.00. No serious damage. Should have her back Thursday or Friday. I thanked him profusely for going easy on the total. He replied with..."No problem. I gave her a kiss last night before bed." She's in good hands being the theme. Glad she'll be ok.

2011 GWE SRT8-392-M6, Sunroof, 730N Media/Nav Kicker System, Black Pocket SRT Wheels, 15% Tint, Flowmaster Super 10 Exhaust, K&N Drop-In Filter, MOPAR Alum. Shifter

Last edited by JakeInFla; 11-27-2012 at 01:59 PM.
#75 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:02 PM

good outcome

1970 Plymouth Barracuda Bought 1981 sold August 1984 (who knew it would be a collectors car!)
2010 Challenger R/T 6spd bought Oct. 2009 sold Dec 31, 2010
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd bought Dec. 31, 2010 sold Oct. 2013
2012 Challenger SRT 6spd bought Jan. 31, 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to John Matthews For This Useful Post:
JakeInFla (11-27-2012)
#76 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Well that escalated Quickly... Sorry to hear about your ride. Glad it was nothing major, and even better. Glad your OKAY too! Thats the important part.

We live, we F up, and we learn. im NOT going to rip into you, because your human. We make mistakes. That and i dont have a stick shoved up my @SS so i dont feel the need to rip into you about your life and choices. lol

Shifty

Fredericton, New Brunswick "The North Side"

2010 R/T Classic, 6 Speed, Black on Black!
DiabloSport InTune - BC Racing Coil Overs - Resonator Delete - Mopar Aluminum Short Throw Shifter - 392 Chin Spoiler - Speedlogix 180 T Stat - Speedlogix Skip Shift Eliminator - Speedlogix Map Light LEDs - Speedlogix LED Reverse LEDs - Speedlogix Side Marker LEDs - CarID Foglight Covers - Plasti Dip Ram Head Bumper Badge - Window Tint - Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts -
The Following User Says Thank You to Shifty11 For This Useful Post:
JakeInFla (11-27-2012)
#77 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Glad the repair is working out so cheap, the second or third week after I bought my Challenger I popped the chin spoiler loose on the drivers side pulling out of a steep driveway, I took it to the a local body shop and they were able to pop the clips back in with just a few minutes work, surprisingly they did not even charge me, although they did joke about me needing to leave it there over night so they could test drive it to make sure nothing else was wrong

2010 Plum Crazy SRT8 with Manual Transmission-------

Mods list: K&N Typhoon CAI, Skip Shift Eliminator , Petty Strut Tower Brace, Diablo Predator 91CAI tune, License Plate backup camera with Lockpick V2, mini spare tire and adapter, Moroso Catch Can, some BT bling, 3rd brake pulser, Larry's mod Hurst shifter, coming soon Web Electric Sequential tail lights and LED under door lights
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac-1 For This Useful Post:
JakeInFla (11-27-2012)
#78 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Glad it looks like it is going to work out for you Jake. God knows I have made numerous decisions in my life I wish I could take back.....so has everyone on here.

But, if I may offer one little piece of unsolicited advice.... after reading a lot of the replies posted in this thread, it might be good to not tell on yourself like this in the future....just sayin'

Hoope she's good as new when you get it back!

In the stable-
2013 GCM SRT8 Challenger, 6 Speed
2006 TorRed Daytona Charger, 5 Speed Auto

"All I need is cigarettes, guitars and Gasoline!" - Travis Tritt
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:
JakeInFla (11-27-2012), Rambit (11-27-2012), snowcat256 (11-27-2012)
#79 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 04:52 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, the overt honesty and self incrimination by way of admission to factual truth and my obvious idiocy sure did lead to a few holier than thou, accusatory, judgmental accusations and nasty declarations from people who proverbially walk on water, seemingly under the assumption that they've never made a mistake. There were also a lot of positive comments too. I appreciate them all. It's a life lesson in humility and common sense kinda thing.

I'd hazard a guess that everyone has done things they regret at one point or another. (some may even be illegal in nature. Who knows?) They simply don't document and post threads about their indiscretions. People usually hide their dirty little secrets. It's a given. I however, wear my heart on my sleeve and have an openly honest streak that likes to vent. It's always been my Achilles heal. I'll have to work on that. Lesson learned.

It's definitely a game changer. I finally touched base with the cook. He remains adamant he didn't hit any curb, speed bump, or anything in between, but my texts wore him down and he agreed to pay half the bill to end the drama...and my soul crushing text messages. So looks like it's all come full circle. The birds are singing once again. I'll have her back in a day or two, and a lesson in common sense saturated in humility ended up costing me $208. I got off cheap.

Thanks guys. I'll post pics to close out the thread. Feel free to continue the Jake bashing. I'm enlightened and back on track. Halle-bleeping-lujah!

~J.

Last edited by JakeInFla; 11-27-2012 at 06:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JakeInFla For This Useful Post:
snowcat256 (11-27-2012)
#80 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM

Good luck to ya man. I really hope it turns out well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:
JakeInFla (11-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode