Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Latest Dodge TV commercials doing us a disservice?

8K views 79 replies 39 participants last post by  Idoono 
#1 ·
Flame on if you wish, but I cringe every time they play the latest Dodge commercials on TV. It's almost like they are marketing to street racing kids from LA. I think FCA is losing it. Most of us that own Challengers, are older and more mature than the Fast and Furious ricer crowd. I mean how many kids can afford a new Challenger anyway? Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: NORADIO
#2 ·
Havent seen the commercials

But maybe they want to expand into the younger Rice-Stang/Transformer-Camaro crowd?

#3 ·
It's all about marketing and profits. FCA, apparently, sees an untapped market for its performance vehicles.

The Hellcat, Demon and previously the Viper, are used as a "halo" cars to draw customers into dealership showrooms. When you think about it, not that many Hellcats or SRTs are on the road, compared to SXTs.

There is a negative side, however, to promoting speed. Look at this ad that was posted a few years ago by a consumer group labeling the SRT an "assault vehicle."

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
I believe this advertisment was not about cars...

It's all about marketing and profits. FCA, apparently, sees an untapped market for its performance vehicles.

The Hellcat, Demon and previously the Viper, are used as a "halo" cars to draw customers into dealership showrooms. When you think about it, not that many Hellcats or SRTs are on the road, compared to SXTs.

There is a negative side, however, to promoting speed. Look at this ad that was posted a few years ago by a consumer group labeling the SRT an "assault vehicle."

I believe it was "satire" to be used against gun control advocates that want to ban "assault style rifles." As most gun fans know, many states ban AR-15's because they are "black and scary looking," not because they are more lethal than a shotgun or a hunters rifle (in fact many hunters use ARs). The rifles become legal if you change the telescoping stock with a hunters stock in some states. They become illegal in some states if they have pistol grips, fore grips, tactical sights, etc.

Reactions: Toxic11 and nvoges
#6 ·
Now that's good marketing! I wish I had a poster like that in my garage. I just don't see the fast and Furious movie goers buying an an Iconic (once American) muscle car. Just look around, kids drive ricers with fart can mufflers.

I get the marketing stuff, but I think it's a fail.

#8 ·
Muscle cars originally targeted young people, they were cheap, and powerful. These new "Muscle Cars" are basically "Yuppie Mobiles", and yes I own one, as their price range targets the middle class suburbanite. If they really wanted to target the young performance minded drivers, not the eco crowd, they should stuff a Hellcat engine in a Dart and sell them for under 20k a pop. They would be everywhere. Or they could put a Hayabusa engine in a Fiat 500.

#10 ·
personally one of my fav's is the awd commercial about russia hearing america. althought the old man with the daughters was a good one. of course i'm a huge ac/dc fan & using their music in it makes it real special to me. although would love my new sp shaker to be awd, but was not willing to go for the v6. but still love the awd commercial. & atleast they for now have stopped using richard rollins. man with that greasy hair i wouldn't let him close to my challengers!!!!

#11 ·
The best commercial.... period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
#14 ·
I am surprised by some of the comments mentioned above...How many of us saw the original Vanishing Point...made us drool over the white Challenger...perhaps influenced us to buy one now...to can on Fast and Furious,Com'on....As for perpetuating the love of Muscle Cars to our New Generations of car lovers away from Honda's is a wonderful thing....the comments remind me of Neil Young's song Old Man...

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Commercials are time to use the bathroom, get something to eat or drink, check email etc, I find they are almost always an insult to the viewers intelligence.
America has really dumbed down over the years.

The absolutely most annoying is those GEICO ads and will NEVER consider them if changing companies. I vote with my money any anyone who portrays their product in such a low double digit IQ way doesn't get any.

No, none of the Dodge ads influence me but maybe if I was still in my teens maybe...

#18 ·
well yellowjacket the penzoil commercial featuring the yellow hellcat did start me to thinking about if i was going to get a new challenger what color it would be, so this year when the stars aligned i pulled the trigger & smile everytime i look at her & remember my '71 340 duster & how it made me smile too.

#19 ·
Mostl young kids aren't into Honda's etc. because they think they are superior, most young kids aren't buying the newer muscle cars because they can't afford the entry fee. If a Challenger R/T had an equivalent price tag to a Civic Si, the Challenger would outsell it by a ton. I understand why they can't be at the same price point, I'm just stating why they purchase the cars they do.

Reactions: rajunz
#21 ·
Some truth here

But the fact is that there is plenty of used muscle available for bargain prices. Many youngsters prefer Turbo 4 motors on tiny cars.

#22 ·
But the fact is that there is plenty of used muscle available for bargain prices. Many youngsters prefer Turbo 4 motors on tiny cars.
Just what I was gonna say. You can grab a 5 year old V8 anything for a deal, but the 4 bangers are what millennials go for. Now there are exceptions, but they are few.

#23 ·
Here are two commericials that I recently wrote for the our beloved Challenger. If I can't sell them soon...I may have to head over to Ford! God forbid!!!!

This first one would require Smokey Robinson's "Cruising together" to be available as it would not work without the song. Said it before, I'll say it again. ANYONE WHO HELPS ME SELL one or both of these commercials will be legally contracted in for an agreed percentage of sale.

"Cruisin " (with my gal)
An automotive TV commercial
copyright 2016
by
joseph Apicella

EXT: RESIDENTIAL GARAGE DOOR: NIGHT

Music is playing: ideally (if available) "Cruisin" by Smokey Robinson or by a cover band…(proprietor’s discretion).

ON GARAGE DOOR slowly opening revealing a new challenger (or any brand car dependent upon sale of commercial) with halo head lamps piercing through the darkness of garage.

ON MAN exiting home/garage door as he slowly walks to driver door...

CAMERA PUSHES in on his finger gently caressing the paint of the rear quarter panel as he reaches for the door handle.

ON MAN now inside car. He reaches for the volume button turning the music up, as camera reveals that this car is highly “optioned”!

ON CHALLENGER, man now inside slowly exiting the garage onto the driveway, then onto street.

INT: BEDROOM: VANITY: NIGHT

ON WOMAN as she puts on the last bit of her makeup, smiling in the mirror, ready for a night of "crusin" with her man, or so she thinks.

EXT: NIGHT: WRAP AROUND COUNRTY HOUSE PORCH (woman’s house) Challenger pulls in Driveway, she is standing on the porch.

CAMERA PUSHES IN on her smiling face.

ON MAN, sitting behind the steering wheel with a reciprocating smile. JUST THEN, the music ends in the manner of an “old school” needle scratching across a vinyl record as the challenger loses all power.

This car is obviously jealous!

ON WOMAN trying to enter the passenger door but the car won't let her in.

CAMERA PUSHES IN on her face. She is no longer smiling, but now frustrated.

ON MAN, trying to open the car door, but the challenger will not let him either.

MAN
(talking to car in apologetic, humble voice)

"Okay baby, I'm sorry"

When suddenly the engine roars back to life, and the ambiance of the music resumes.

ON MAN shrugging his shoulders as he looks at woman while backing the challenger out of her driveway.

ON WOMAN backing away from the car, looking at the man in utter disbelief.

ON CAR throttling up on the gravel driveway, throwing dust and dirt onto woman's beautiful dress.

ON WOMAN's angry face as she screams in frustration!

ON CHALLENGER'S tail lights as it speeds off onto the moon lit county road. The rumbling exhaust note overwhelms the music.

MUSIC volume fades, car exhaust fades as the voice over begins.

NARRATOR
" The all new Scat Pack Challenger, INFIDELITY is not an option"!

The end

THIS NEXT ONE CAN BE FILMED IN MY TATTOO SHOP.

True Love

An automotive TVcommercial

Copywright
by
Joseph Apicella

EXT---TATTOO PARLOR PARKING LOT---NIGHT

A beautiful car, a Dodge Challenger Scat Pack (or car brand of commercial owner’s choosing), down shifts and enters the tattoo shop parking lot. It pulls into a space amongst other hot rods and Harley Davidsons.

ON WOMAN (passenger in car) looking adoringly at her sparkling diamond engagement ring.

WOMAN
“I can’t believe you’re doing this!

ON MAN (driver of car) smirking.

INT---TATTOO PARLOR---NIGHT

In the background the sounds of multiple tattoo machines is heard buzzing.

Camera pushes in on tattoo station # 1 A man sitting in the chair receiving a heart tattoo with “mom” written in the banner.

Camera pushes in on tattoo station #2 A woman is getting a portrait of her small dog while the dog sits upon her lap.

(Alternative option) Camera pushes in on tattoo station #3. A surfer sits in the chair and receives a tattoo of a barrel wave and sunset. Behind him his surfboard leans against the wall.

ON MAN (driver of car) sitting in his chair receiving his tattoo, but we cannot see what he is getting.

ON TATTOO ARTIST

TATTOO ARTIST
That’s it. You’re done!

ON WOMAN as she gets up to see his new tattoo, what she expects is his proclamation of love for her.

Camera pushes in on WOMAN’S face as her facial expression goes from happy to mad. She removes her engagement ring and throws it at her fiancé as the tattoo artist ducks to avoid being hit by the diamond projectile which bounces off her fiancées chest.

ON TATTOO ARTIST

TATTOO ARTIST
“What’s her problem”?

ON MAN (driver of car) shrugging his shoulders in reply.

EXT---TATTOO PARLOR PARKING LOT---NIGHT

ON CAR, backing out of space and rolling away fast through a puddle splashing water onto his former fiancée.

ON WOMAN, water splashing into her face as she screams in disbelief!

ON CAR, as taillights grow smaller in the distance as the throttle pulls wide open.

ON CAR’S DRIVER SIDE WINDOW as it rolls down the man hangs his elbow on the door revealing for the first time his brand new shoulder tattoo, the symbol of the dodge scat pack, a racing bee (or other brand of commercial owner’s choosing). Voice Over begins:

NARRATOR

“The all-new 485 horsepower Scat Pack Challenger: A love that lasts a lifetime”!

ON CAR as the man floors the pedal and speeds off into the night.

THE END

#24 ·
Whom buys what, is merely demographics. There are TONS of young folks out there who are into muscle cars not economy cars. Where I work, they have been hiring lots of younger folks because some of the jobs are just too hard on older people (16 hour shifts, up to 16 days in a row or more during storms etc).

And the parking garage is full of muscle and luxury cars and a few STi Subaru's for good measure.

I was out one day with Toxy and a Header Orange SRT8 pulls up beside me, 20 something driving it and asks if we could BS. We pull over and shoot the breeze, he's working for one of the many fracking companies and making GOOD money, but like he said, so many hours spent on the job he doesn't have a whole lot of time to spend it! :)

And yes the "BAN THEM" poster was a Photoshop by the Second Amendment Supporters to show how stupid Gun Control is in our Country.

#26 ·
Nah...op is overthinking it....The Dodge adds are the best on the market and they are just advertisements either way, not a comment on social behavior.

Reactions: nzmonsterman
#27 · (Edited)
(please delete. wrong topic)

#28 ·
Btw, did anybody ever capture or download the Dodge Predators commercial in HD? That continues to be one of my biggest regrets in not acquiring that for my collection.

#30 ·
Yes, I've seen those. The problem is, when I try to download the YouTube in HD, I can only get the crappy low-rez version (something about being a paid member?). I'm looking for somebody who has archived it or maybe captured it on regular network broadcast (during a football game?), so I can acquire a copy for my collection.

#31 ·
Well I guess it just depends on how you look at it? don't get me wrong, speeding and reckless driving is the last thing I condone...with that said, I think it's awesome to be alive during this time! Dodge is taking the reins and running with it...I love everything about the Demon advertising, from the head logo art to the awesome commercials with the creepy demon music at the end...spine chilling sh_t man..oh, and the car is ok as well lol. 2 cents

#32 ·
RICE (acronym): Race Inspired Performance Enhancement. AKA 'all show, no go.' There is a channel on Youtube called 'Gaskings' I think ya'll should check out. Many of the videos on this automotive comedy page have wonderful examples of why cars like the Challenger are better suited for experienced drivers.

#33 ·
I believe that is riPe... :lol:

#41 ·
Also consider that the lead, alpha male of the group is Dom. Everybody looks up to Dom. What does Dom like. He likes old school muscle. Perhaps the movie throws everything in there to appeal to somebody, but it gives the biggest nod of respect to Dom and his preference to muscle cars, imo...I live my life one 1/4 mi at a time. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.