Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Life has all but forced me to sell my Scat Pack...

16K views 139 replies 52 participants last post by  B5BABYBLUES 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all. So long story short I will be selling my Scat Pack in the next few months. My wife and I are starting to think about kids this fall and we're trying to think more into the future financially and what makes the most sense to us as we start a family. So the idea is to go to something that is family oriented, gets 30 mpg and can be reliable for driving to work and back but still is fun to drive and has good looks so I'll be switching to a 2016 or 2017 V6 Charger in black. It's sad and tough to get rid of the 392 but it's gotta be done. Maybe one day in the future I'll be able to get back into another one who knows.

This forum has been awesome and learned alot and hopefully gave a few of you some tips with these awesome cars. I'll still be somewhat active but not too active on the forum but won't totally disappear. I may post from time to time. For now, see ya all later. Good luck with all your Challengers out there and stay safe. Enjoy them. Peace for now!

#2 ·
Don't do it! I'm in the same boat, but I have a V6 (thinking about upgrading soon to a Scat Pack) right now. Girlfriend has a Crossover and we share a beater to drive to work. We're also considering marriage soon and kids immediately after. The beater car is a perfect solution. Mine is a 2005 Mazda 6i paid off and saves decent gas.

Just buy a reliable beater car like a 05'-10 Honda Accord or comparable. You're going to hate that you got rid of that car and Everytime you see one you'll feel bad. However, I understand that you need to make sacrifices for kids. Just don't make a decision you'll regret.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The best of luck to you and your wife...I'll miss seeing you 'round these parts, but it's good to know it's due to good reasons.

Thanks for all the encouragement you've given me, and the advice you've shared with us all.

Don't make any rash decisions (not that you strike me as one who does), but you obviously have your priorities straight.

#4 ·
Hey all. So long story short I will be selling my Scat Pack in the next few months. My wife and I are starting to think about kids this fall and we're trying to think more into the future financially and what makes the most sense to us as we start a family. So the idea is to go to something that is family oriented, gets 30 mpg and can be reliable for driving to work and back but still is fun to drive and has good looks so I'll be switching to a 2016 or 2017 V6 Charger in black. It's sad and tough to get rid of the 392 but it's gotta be done. Maybe one day in the future I'll be able to get back into another one who knows.

This forum has been awesome and learned alot and hopefully gave a few of you some tips with these awesome cars. I'll still be somewhat active but not too active on the forum but won't totally disappear. I may post from time to time. For now, see ya all later. Good luck with all your Challengers out there and stay safe. Enjoy them. Peace for now!
Props to you man, it's how life goes. You among other 392 owners are kinda what inspired me to pull the trigger and order my own Scat Pack, so thank you.

#5 ·
It might not be too long before you change your mind. I have a 3 and 5 year old and just bought my first Challenger, SRT 392. I have no problem putting them in the back seat and there is plenty of room in the trunk for trips. I am now in the process of selling my Ford Explorer Sport which was perfect for the kids but the Challenger is certainly manageable for them. When I first came to the decision, my wife thought I was crazy but it seems to be working out so far with the Challenger.

#6 ·
I agree with Mr. Cheeze, think a little harder about it. I did the same thing almost 25 years ago...involved getting married...kids...it was a 1977 Trans-am...new paint, rebuilt Pontiac 400....I sold it. Trust me in the years since I have always regretted it...hell now the market with these old 70's Trans-am's has taken off...you couldn't get into one now, even a beater for less than 10 grand it seems. I do understand your point of view though...good luck with whatever decision you decide bud!

#8 ·
Me and my wife both own challengers and we have a baby on the way. She also own a 2006 300c and I have a 1999 jeep Cherokee that I purchased for $1000. It's a lot of people that trade their cars in for the same reasons that you're doing it for, then a few years later they end up wanting their car back. I can't see myself getting rid of my challenger.

#9 ·
Think long and hard about it. Who knows how long it will take to conceive and even if it happens quick, 1 kid would be nothing in a challenger. I do 3, including an infant most weekends. In that time frame you could have the challenger paid off and if life dictates a bigger vehicle then you've still got your hot rod. One thing I also might keep in mind is that these big engines are very likely to be regulated out of existence sometime in the near future.

Proof it can be done.

#10 · (Edited)
By the time JR is big enough to need 4 doors you'll have it paid for...get a cruz or civic to kick around in and drive on longer trips...

congrats on kid... WE drove sedans for lots a years lol...as we raised our three....My wife said she wanted a VAN for all the grand kids....nope I said, we made it all this time without one....so she had a Malibu for that...;)

#11 ·
Just depends on your situation. My wife and I have 3 kids(4, 6, 8). We made the decision before kids that she would stay home with them.

She drives an Expedition and honestly the kids ride in it 95% of the time. They ride in my Challenger only when we have to split up taking them to different events/practices, otherwise it's only me in the car. This would be true even if I drove a 4 door truck or SUV

So if you're both going to continue working, I completely understand...you could always get an R/T Charger...

#12 ·
The family always comes first and you have my respect. A 5.7L Charger makes for a nice ride that is family friendly, even as the kids become teenagers. If you can afford it, the Scat Pack Charger is always a high performance alternative.

#13 ·
Another vote to keep what you have. When my son turned 4 months old, he's only gone to daycare in my 2001 Trans Am. Weekend and daycare pick-up duty is handled by my wife in our 2011 Yukon Denali. The Trans Am has been plenty big enough for driving him to school. In fact, I looked at a new 2016 Camaro SS, and there is a lot less room in the back seat compared to the Trans Am. I am actually looking at replacing the Trans Am with a 2016-17 Challenger. But, my point is, don't fall for the old, "oh, we have to get a 'Family Car' BS". Enjoy life....

#14 ·
Take a good look around on every forum and look at the stories guys tell about wishing they still had that muscle car that they "had to" sell. The theme is the same as yours only these guys all wish that they toughed it out with the car and children.

I recall guys selling Chevelles, Camaros, Shelbys and 'Cudas in order to, "upgrade" to a station wagon when kids came along. For those not old enough to know what this thing is, it's the precursor to the modern day God awful minivan.

Grab a used off-lease Honda Civic sedan and run the pi$$ out of it. You will thank all of us in about 4 years for saving your Challenger.

Good luck.

#15 ·
I knew there would be mix reactions from this and I understand where you all are coming from and your stands on it. However, I drive 106 miles round trip each day to work plus making a monthly trip up to my wife's family which is about 180 miles round trip. I'm roughly driving somewhere between 28-30k miles per year which is why I want a fairly fuel efficient, good looking 4 door that is family friendly. The 3.6 Charger fits the bill perfectly and it's the next closest thing to the Challenger.

We just got back from our monthly visit from my wife's parents house and did some 75% throttle passes on some cars on the highway in the 392 and yes it's very addicting and never gets old and even told her that I'm going to miss all this power under my right foot but at least the Charger isn't a 4 banger with less than 200HP, it's borderline 300 HP and gets 30 mpg so that's what I'm looking for. We made a budget spreadsheet with all our expenses and what our monthly costs are and getting rid of the Scat Pack along with my 2001 Buick (current work car w/ 95k miles) and getting a new Charger for me would save us ~120 bucks a month in gas by itself. So it's all things we're taking into consideration but for her and I, it's going to be the best decision for us currently. Thanks for all your feedback by the way. I'm looking at just an SE model Charger with the only option being the blacktop pkg since it looks nicer and has a more slighly aggressive look to it.

Reactions: PaVaSteeler
#17 ·
The way society is going in this country, if I was starting all over again I wouldn't have kids.
My kids are in their upper teens and twenties and I'm worried what their futures hold, just watch the news and tell me how risky things are these days.

#18 ·
I agree that the world is more effed up than it ever has been in this day and age but me and my wife are prepared to raise our future kids the best way we think is possible and give them the right tools and knowledge for this messed up world to be able to handle things. It's going to be an adventure for sure.

#36 ·
I agree that the world is more effed up than it ever has been in this day and age but me and my wife are prepared to raise our future kids the best way we think is possible and give them the right tools and knowledge for this messed up world to be able to handle things. It's going to be an adventure for sure.
The scariest thing is that you can raise your kids the right way and give them all of the tools to live right Happily, Successfully and Respectful and some Fool can come along and ruin it at no fault of theirs!

I agree that nowadays, the world can be a frightening place!

I also agree that I enjoy your posts Charlene and it will be a loss to this forum to see you go, but I applaud you for having your priorities straight and wish you the best of luck both with your car and your future family! :cheers:

#19 ·
Everyone usually has a good story to tell so here is mine.

I have been on the railroad for many years and one of our managers just retired after 44 years. Yes, 44 years in the same job. About 2 years ago, all the buzz about the "New" improved Challenger was coming out and I followed it pretty close since I have always loved Mopars and these cars as well. Anyway I bought my Sublime R/T and this manager really liked the looks and the color! To shorten this story...I sent him a Youtube video of a 30 minute review from some auto website detailing every aspect of the car. He was hooked! He finally decided to order his B5 Scat Pack and waited 3 months for it. He was like a kid in the candy store! At 61 years old, burning tires, cruising, etc! During the winter here he stored it however him and his wife would go out to the garage, turn on the radio and just sit there listening to it while having a coctail. Said it made him feel like a teenager again with the hot chick in the cool car!

To shorten up the story some more...(and the sad part) His daughter, whom is about 38 years old is getting a divorce. She has 2 kids, a good job and lives in Arizona. She has somehow coerced her father into selling his car to help her out financially. He sold his beloved Scat Pack and gave his daughter the money. I saw him about 2 weeks ago driving his awesome 2010 Toyota Corolla and kicking himself in the a$$ for doing what he did. He said he should have never done it because he worked and sacrificed all those years for his kids and now it's his time. Too late now as he can't afford another one.

#20 ·
People not having kids an very interesting topic that no one talks about. It's not hard to foresee that strictly from a demographic viewpoint, the traditional 'white American' is not long for this world.

We have tons of self-centered white Americans running around. who never have kids cuz it would mean making sacrifices and having less 'stuff' and less 'toys' and less time to drink beer and hang out with their other self-absorbed friends. The net result is each year, fewer and fewer white Americans are born.

Meanwhile, other ethic groups are pouring into the USA at record rates, and they have no issue with large number of kids. And their kids have kids, and they do so at younger ages than the (fewer) white kids that are born.

When I hear presumably adult people talk about not wanting kids, all I think of are a bunch of 72 year old geezers sitting around in a nursing home wondering why no one comes to visit them and trying to decide who to leave all their stuff to. And kinda sorta realizing that when they die, their name dies, and they left nothing of any value behind. And that 2016 Challenger they had to have is loooong gone.

#21 ·
Nothing wrong with a 6cyl Charger for a great family car. It just makes sense for a family car, and watching the budget.

Sure, a Scat Pack Charger would be cooler, and so would a HC Charger, but there goes the budget again.

I've said many times that if I was at the age where I was still raising my kids, I wouldn't own a Challenger. Plenty of time later in life for that.

At 63, married and my son raised, I'm fortunate to have the means to own what I have, though I've worked hard to get where I'm at.

If I was 33, or 43, priorities in life would be different, but I'm sure that my dreams of wanting a Challenger would still be there.

Best of luck.

#22 ·
Much respect to your for setting your priorities right. I like the fact that you did a detailed study of costs instead of just deciding to sell the Challenger for the sake of "saving". In addition, I think that you will not regret getting an SE Charger as those are very very nice daily drivers (I had a '14 as a replacement car before the '15 came out and absolutely loved it for what it was).

Good luck and all the best. Hope to see you in another Challenger or something much better in the future.

#24 ·
These cars aren't rare or hard to find. There will be plenty of nice used ones out there for quite a long time even if they do stop making them. It sounds like the current style will be built for several more years, so there will be 10s of thousands of Scat Packs, SRTs, and Hellcats out there. I've gotten rid of numerous fun cars over the years because priorities changed or I was just ready to move on to something else. I have a Hellcat now and it seems like the one car I might keep "forever", but who knows. Cars are big fun, but they are one of the easiest things to downgrade if the money needs to be used somewhere else. At the end of the day we all just need basic transportation to get us to work, and other activities which can be done pretty cheaply.

#26 ·
I don't put a lot of personal information on the net... but suffice it to say I have two kids under the age of 10. I have to wonder why you ask?

And before we get into a 'preferences' discussion....keep in mind my post above is very, very solidly based in statistics and demographics which are largely hard, cold 'facts'.

And if you have the resources to own a Challenger, you have the resources to raise a child.

#33 ·
Wait! I gotta respond too!

My wife can't have kids. Are we self absorbed?

#35 · (Edited)
I understand.When my kids came along had to get a bigger house also.Had to go from 8 cars to only 5.Took 20+ years to get back to 7 not counting the new Honda for my daughter.See the sacrifice we make for kids.If it wasn't for that one I would have 8 again,If I never had kids probable would have a Viper and a Hell Cat by now.

Wait until they go to College!!

If I had it to do over I wouldn't have 2 children.....I would have 3,and probably no SRT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.