Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Looking for former users of Mustangs, who drive Dodge now

6K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  USRWDV8 
#1 ·
Hi!

I am looking for former owners of Stangs, who used to drive'em but now drive Dodge Challenger - here is why. I contacted a guy, here in Poland, who specializes in car import from USA. I told him what I wanted in details as far as my Dodge but he claims that V8 Stang is better option in terms of commuting. His main argument is that Stangs have better trim, interior, they are more driver friendly so to speak. In terms of driving, due to different suspension Stangs tend to be more comfortable as far as road bumps, mare than Challenger is. Moreover, he is trying to talk me into buying Camaro. So, if there is any former user of Mustang, please share why you do not drive anymore, driving Challenger now.

Thanks

#2 ·
Ummmh, no, not only did I drive a Mustang, I still do!!! The Challenger is MUCH more comfortable day in day out compared to my GT Mustang!!! The suspension alone is better in a Challenger on any road. Getting in and out of a Challenger is much easier than it is in my Mustang.

#4 ·
Very nice garage!

My problem is, it is difficult to test drive Challenger, there are many Mustangs around. Good I have much time to make my decision. I know that best option is to test drive every of'em. Hope I can manage it before Putin nukes Poland ;-)

#5 ·
From my search what I know is - Stangs are lighter, Dodges are wider, Stangs are more like GT cars, Dodges are less tnimble, but tend to more comfortable. On this coming Wednesday I am to test drive Mustang. From my previous experience i did not like Mustang in terms of braking and cornering. Seemed to be stiffed too much.

#9 ·
If you can afford the 392, get it. You won't be disappointed. I track my car and all I can say is the 392 is no slouch. I do a G on stock suspension with front and rear braces and good tires. It has the edge on the GT in the straight line. The GT with track pack is pretty much even with the 392 around the ring.
Remember you can always fix slow but you can't fix ugly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Yeah, everything you were told is 100% the opposite of reality.

I have one of each and they're both good cars. The Mustang is more confidence-inspiring to push hard, mostly because of better side and rear visibility, and a lot more RPM range to work with (especially compared to the R/T).

The Challenger is the better built car, especially the interior, and of course its much more sophisticated and refined suspension. The Mustang in reality should be considered a two seat car whereas the back seat in the Challenger can actually fit adults with reasonable comfort.

When I drive my Challenger for an extended period of time I miss the power of the GT. When I drive the GT for an extended period of time I miss the refinement of the Challenger. Really, it depends on what you're looking for in a car and can't go too far wrong with either.

Attachments

#21 ·
When I drive my Challenger for an extended period of time I miss the power of the GT. When I drive the GT for an extended period of time I miss the refinement of the Challenger. Really, it depends on what you're looking for in a car and can't go too far wrong with either.
sell them both and buy a 392. best of both worlds. Power and comfort! :thumbsup:

#13 ·
I've been driving mustangs for about 15 years. One ride in a challenger will tell you which is quieter, smoother, more confortable. By the way most people don't realize the 2015 Challenger is almost exactly the same width (without considering mirrors) as the Mustang.

#14 ·
Maybe the guy I talked to wanted to get rid of his Stangs, that's why he was so confident. There is one argument that appeals to me, Mustang is everywhere, even in Poland. But Challenger is unique!
Thank you for bringing me back the proper track!

#15 ·
I came out of a '12 GT premium (and a '10 V6 premium prior to that) into the Challenger SXT plus (Rallye Redline). The position of the Mustang seats was probably the best of any car I've ever driven... at 6'1/250, they were perfect for me. The Dodge seats are much 'cushier' tho, and overall more comfortable. There's no comparison in the ride quality or road noise... Challenger is way ahead. Never had any gripes about the Mustang interior other than the hard surface door panels... but again, the Challenger is way ahead.

#16 · (Edited)
I am driving a 2011 Mustang V6 now and have a Scat Pack on order.

Nothing wrong with the Mustang. It is an impressive sixer and a sharp looker. A great daily driver, but not the most comfortable on a long ride.

I've always loved the Challenger redo and its resurrection of the old school E bodies and the '15 refresh pushed me over the edge.

For me, time for a change and performance upgrade

#17 ·
I had two mustangs. The Cobra and a GT. Ironically I had two Challengers. The RT and the SRT. You really can't go wrong with either brand.

I was in Poland a few times, but that was 20 years ago. The Challenger is definitely built with North American roads in mind. I seem to recall the roads in Poland to be narrower then what we have here.

So keep in mind that the Challenger is a big car. So your driving experience will be different than what we have over here.

I won't recommend what to get. That said, having owned both and having some driving experience on the roads in Poland. If I was going back to Poland and had to take a car, I would probably go with a Mustang.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#18 ·
I won't recommend what to get. That said, having owned both and having some driving experience on the roads in Poland. If I was going back to Poland and had to take a car, I would probably go with a Mustang.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Great to hear you were in Poland! 20 years ago we had terrible roads, were they narrower than now? I guess they are still the same - but if a 18 wheeller can go through, Dodge Challenger can go through too - the only concern is if I park it in my garage, will I be able to get out of it? Will see :pimp:

#22 ·
I have had 4 mustangs including a 13 5.0 and 2 challengers. They are both good cars just different. It all depends on what a person wants most in a car. If speed and handling is top priority get the 5.0 mustang. But if comfort, having plenty of room, looks of the car and getting noticed is high priority get the challenger. As others have said, I agree the challenger is the better built car. And, in the performance area, even though the RT doesn't pick up speed as fast as the GT, it is still a plenty fast car. And as far as feel, the RT actually puts you back in the seat a bit harder due to making more torque. You can always mod to get more speed if you desire. IMO, the challenger is the better total package car. It is just a perfect blend of power, comfort and looks.

#23 ·
It has been some time of my absence here, but I was digging at Mustang's forums for a while.

Today I testdrove GT 2007 with 3.31 ratio gear box. And I am a bit disappointed due to impression the car is less comfortable as I expected. The ride is hard, which is normal due to suspension. It was pretty loud with a stock exhaust. What I mean is, this is sport car. But traveling long distances? I am not sure about that.

Do not get me wrong. I have never tested Mustang GT, but read a lot about the car, and many people claim it is perfect for long trips. Now I understand the comparison with Challenger, which might be much better for long runs. I need to travel long distances and after the trip be able to run my business talks.

Again am on the fence, Mustang has much better community in Poland, there is a club working pretty well. For Dodge there is nothing. No clubs, community or else. In case of troubles I will be pioneering the path, which might be a bit painful.

#24 ·
My last 6 cars: 2010 Mustang GT Premium, 2012 Mustang GT Premium with Brembo pkg., 2013 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2013 Camaro 1SS with 1LE pkg., and now 2014 Dodge Challenger SRT8 core with Satin Vapor pkg and a few other packages.

Between the Mustang and the Challenger, you are splitting hairs. I really don't think you could go wrong with either. I have heard that the 2015 Mustangs received a huge interior upgrade just like the Challengers.

That being said, after owning all of the above cars I truly like the Challenger the best. It just has that retro look that I wanted out of the other cars. It also feels a good bit quicker than the others.

#26 ·
Frankly, for Europe (I lived there for years) I believe that the Mustang makes more practical sense. Because of its smaller size and the 'network' for parts, tips and maintenance. And we Americans have to understand that our opinion of it, a secretary's car, a pony for high schoolers and a cheap, ubiquitous car doesn't translate overseas. There it's still the icon that Steve McQueen immortalized in Bullitt or that hip people raced the Monte Carlo Rally with in the sixties.

Otherwise I completely agree with those who said that the assessment from that guy you know is the opposite of the truth. The Challenger is more comfortable and refined than either Camaro or Mustang. It's a better car for long trips and to haul passengers and cargo. It feels like more car, more quality.

But even here some people pick the Mustang over it because of its size. And I also believe that the 2015 stang, with its improved interior and IRS, is closing the gap.

#28 ·
I have had a 2010 Camaro 2SS and a 2014 Mustang GT 5.0 and I have had 5 Challengers from 2009 to 2014. And, I currently have a 6th Challenger, a 2015 SRT ordered and it will be showing up soon.

ALL were good cars with amazing motors, but I would choose the Challenger for commuting EVERY time. More room inside, better ergonomics/comfort. I also would never buy another Challenger without Super Track Pack.

#31 ·
I always love showing off current and former rides. I traded in a 2013 5.0 GT Brembo for my current Challenger. When the Mustang was stock, it was a comfortable car indeed. Much lighter feeling, ready to tackle the corners more than the Challenger. This is all expected based upon size and weight difference. People who say a SRA is unstable at high speeds are slightly incorrect. I took mine to many HPDE events (stock and heavily modified) where I could keep up and pass many cars from Vettes to Porsches. Mods were full suspension including a Watts Link, Power Adders from stock (394 RWHP) to NA build (433 RWHP) to SC build (575 RWHP), and this car was a blast but very unreliable. Stock 5.0's don't take to power adders very well if you are going to push the car on the road course.

For stock to stock comparison, everything that guy said is incorrect though. This Challenger is a much more comfortable daily driver, outside of the fuel consumption differences between the 5.0 and 6.4.

#32 · (Edited)
Yeah, urban areas over there can be a cluster-you-know-what. You guys would **** if you saw how parking is often done. This is the norm that I remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8B6mn9EzHs
In these conditions, we'd be miserable even with a stang. There's also a place for highway cruisers there, and the highways tend to be nicer than here, but some surface streets are, um, challenging. And if the Poles drive anywhere close to how the Russians do... :bang:

#33 ·
Yeah, urban areas over there can a cluster-you-know-what. You guys would **** if you saw how parking is often done. This is the norm that I remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8B6mn9EzHs
In these conditions, we'd be miserable even with a stang. There's also a place for highway cruisers there, and the highways tend to be nicer than here, but some surface streets are, um, challenging. And if the Poles drive anywhere close to how the Russians do... :bang:
No, no we Poles do not drive as crazy as Russians do, and as far as parking, no! We are crazy about our cars, so it is hard to see jalopies drivers treat badly. What happens when parking - body dents due to reckless door opening - side to side.

#35 ·
I've only owned 2001 and '69 Mustangs.

The comparison will depend largely on which years/models you're comparing.

The 2015 Mustang GT is miles ahead of any previous year as far as interior, refinement, road manners and handling.

That said:

Regardless of year and model, the Challenger has far more room and trunk space.

BOTH the '15 Challenger and '15 Mustang have very nice interior, but my preference between the two is the interior of the Challenger (and exterior, by far).

I haven't driven the SRT yet, but even the Scat Pack had very nice road manners and gobs of torque.

Based on what your friend is looking for, the Camaro is a terrible choice! Cheap interior, cramped, no visibility, and not the smoothest daily driver - especially if you opt for the 1LE track package.

#37 ·
Once I heard, if you are not afraid of your dreams, your dreams sux!
That is why I am coming back to this topic again.

Today I visited a guy I had met over the Mustang forum. His GT 2008 has 8.000 miles and is in mint condition. It is a stock version, without any modifications. A week ago I testdrove 2007 GT, with 3.31 axle, but the car was full of body filler on the roof. There were places with 2000 microns of the body filler.

We went for a ride, and this car was much more comfortable and predictable than the previous one. But still there was something missing. My first ride is Outback 3.6. It is a decent car, with predictable handling, acceleration, roomy and QUIET inside. Perfect for long trips. The GT 2008 I tested should be a bit more agile, but it was not. That surprised me. The kickdown and back pressure is much more violent in my Subaru than I could feel in this Mustang GT 2008. As I like the car, and the way it behaves, I could not feel this something. The point is, that if I did not own my Super Seven I would pull the trigger to get this Mustang.

And now the final thought - Now I am starting to realize what refinement means as far as Mustangs and Dodge. Mustangs from years in which I am interested in and am able to afford are fairly simple, decent as far as power. But they are still noisy and do not seem to comfortable. The more modified engine, the noisier it gets. I read loads of opinions, that Mustang is not a perfect choice for longer trips, apart from the room inside (2+semi2).

So - next week I am going to travel to the other end of Poland to drive Challenger. I will have to stretch my budget but I think that chasing the rabbit is much more exciting than catching it! And I am fairly sure, if I buy Challenger I will feel accustomed to its dimensions, parking, maneuvering, things I am afraid of now. As far as width, Challenger is comparable to BMW X5/6, just a bit longer.

So - I still keep fighting to fulfill my dream of gurgling V8 in my garage. :thumbsup:

#38 · (Edited)
I once saw a video where Ralph Gilles was talking about quality and feel, especially regarding the interior. He was saying that every small part, knob, switch is offered to car designers in a multitude of variations to pick from. Do you want a snick or a click? The vendors have either. Anyway, what Ralph was getting at was that when designing the newer Chrysler models a lot of time had been spent on the details in order to enhance the driver experience through the small things. He was probably being a good salesman, but I know I think about that every time I use my HVAC controls (love those).

Then there's other things such as transmission and power delivery settings, handling, turning radius, noise insulation, etc. Oh, a Dodge is neither luxurious nor sophisticated, but for a muscle car the Challenger feels almost too nice! There's a reason why the owners tend to be older and why you'll see it described here as the gentleman's muscle car.

Now whether you prefer raw to civilized, that's up to you. But I think that what I'm talking about is part of the different (superior?) "feel" of the car.

As for its size, it's not prohibitive, but the long hood, high rear deck and wide C-pillars are what makes most people use the term large. My old Charger had the same exterior dimensions, but with a shorter hood and a longer wheelbase it felt more agile and parkable. Just something to be aware of and test for yourself. I drive on wide US freeways 75% of the time so this has little impact on me.

ETA: I can't leave this post alone without adding that the car has what very few out there (and especially in its price range) have these days: presence, character, mystique. That is something straight from the '60s/'70s and that, in my opinion, Chevy and Ford failed to recapture the way Dodge did.

#39 ·
ETA: I can't leave this post alone without adding that the car has what very few out there (and especially in its price range) have these days: presence, character, mystique. That is something straight from the '60s/'70s and that, in my opinion, Chevy and Ford failed to recapture the way Dodge did.
You just hit the nail on the head! This is my point also. I appeared at this forum more than a half a year ago. Challenger does appeal to me much more than Mustangs do. Mustangs are still impressive cars, but from what I have experienced as far as GT 2005-2009 it is not what I have imagined. Brutality, comfort, cruising. That is the way I feel it. I am not saying Mustang lacks brutality, but lacks comfort I want to have when cruising.

#41 · (Edited)
I love having both. The 06' Mustang is the beast. E85 powered, 726 rwhp, 326 stroker with a 2.8L KB Mammoth supercharger. The 14' Challenger Shaker.....Stock. BUT an awesome daily driver, sexy retro, big and comfortable with plenty enough power to get around. I love both these cars. It would be hard to choose. Plus I'm not brand loyal. And why should I be? Ford and Dodge don't pay me anything. I've never understood people that are so ignorant and narrow minded that they would only own and drive one brand of car "just because it's a ...." Who cares imo! Drive what you like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsZblzFDUtQ

#43 ·
I fully see your point of having both. If I didn't have Lotus Seven I would consider buying Mustang as a possible fun car. But I don't think Mustang GT is a comfortable cruiser, which I am looking for. It is a great car. I like it, and still thinking about the one I tested the day before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.