Looking at an SXT plus tm...V6 vs V8 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Looking at an SXT plus tm...V6 vs V8

everyone i talk to is like na you gotta get the v8 you gotta get the v8. someone said to me getting the v6 is like fingering a virgin lolol... but yeah the v6 is a lot more affordable for me between gas, insurance and overall price. i mean the v6 is still gonna be fast right lol?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 675 Posts
SE is a great car but it's not a HEMI...but then again the HEMI in a car this heavy is not all that either...Same year V6 mustang will hold it's own against a R/T. Bottom line...figure your budget and needs/wants...compare all factors and buy what you can afford

--Ray--

2009 TorRed S/E

9-11-01 nose badge | 3.5L hood badges | CAI | Hood pins | MOPAR hood struts/pedal kit/fuel door | blacked out side mirrors | Under dash ambient light | Jones Full Boar exhaust | Cuda' style MOPAR hockey stick striping | Script grill badge

"All you can take with you is that which you have given away"
#3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would get the hemi if you can. You won't regret it.

#4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:43 PM

Most People will tell you hemi regaurdless of their finacial situation, They would rather dig them selves in a hole than drive something that isn't a hemi. I got the SXT (V6) and didnt regret it, The power was more than excellent for a V6 and the mileage cannot be beat.

You get a great looking car and all the looks from other people as an SRT8. Yeah people will say You should of gotten the V8 but just remember what they drive before you take it to heart because most the time its an import of all things.

I absolutely LOVE this site with all my heart
#5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 12:02 AM

Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,172 Posts
It's true that people's advice in general is useless: they aren't you and don't care where you get the money to pay for the stuff they push you to buy. Lots of peer pressure on forums! So don't listen to what people say, just look up numbers (that's objective) and test drive if you can (that's subjective, but in a good way).

Otherwise, the question you posed "is the V6 fast?" is impossible to answer in the absolute. For some, fast is never fast enough, after all!
Rental companies often have the V6 models on hand, and a day with a car, driving like you normally do, will probably give you a much better idea than a test drive. So rent a Charger or 300 if they have no Challenger, and come to your own determination of 'enough'.

I'd honestly have to say, though, that just from that one post, I would think you're a good candidate for the SXT. It's not like those things don't move - the old 2.7 would've been another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I have so much fun driving to and from work that the actual speed doesn't matter that much (Can't afford tickets anyway). Unless you are tracking your car on a regular basis, does it really matter?
#6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 12:13 AM

Well, there are a lot of considerations. To be honest if you're overly budget concious I'm not sure the challenger is the vehicle for you. There are probably more fuel efficient less expensive vehicles that you can purchase.

THAT BEING SAID:

I faced the same decision. v6 should still get 0-60 in 6.5ish seconds. It's quick, it'll get you there. The combined driving mpg on a v8 is supposedly 19 MPG. I believe for the v6 it is... 21? If you drive 1100 miles a month (as I do) you'd buy about 58 gallons of gas with the v8. The v6 would buy only 52. So Roughly 6 gallons, at your local gas price is: 20-25 $ a month. If your budget is dependent on 20-25 $ a month, again I suggest as before.

I drove them both. I loved the R/T. I Like having that power, although, you rarely get to use it. You can only drive as fast as the person in front of you.

Food for thought: The price difference between the most basic SXT and R/T: 6-7k.
You should be able to right now grab a 2012 SXT for 22k, and a base R/T for 28-29k.

Look at the resale vaule on previous models in the same: Are they 6-7k difference? (I have NOT looked)

Another point: I couldn't decide at first, i started looking last year actually, i drove mine home this friday past, and in that time I paid off 3 long term credit card payments, and saved up some extra $ to put down with out having a payment (truck was paid off that i traded in) and shopped around for a month to get a great deal. My payments are in the SXT range, because by the time I left with my R/T Classic I only financed 19k. (And it was loaded)
I myself had to have all the bells and whistles, but I do sometimes wonder if I'd of done better with the v6. I could of saved that cash i put out of pocket and had still less of a loan. My insurance would be less of course too. But again: if your budget is that tight...
For me it wasn't, but I did have a budgeted car payment, i had planned in, which is how i worked it into my budget. With lots of planning.

Drive them both, although be prepared, I loved the R/T from afar for a long time, and debated several times over the past year to just go buy a SXT and enjoy it. But I couldn't settle for a SXT base, i wanted leather, nav and what not, and by the time I got all the options, I might as well buy once and cry once to get the perfect one I would build. So I got mine exactly as i wanted no compromise

The way i always phrase it is a v6 pony car is kinda a teenage girls car. But it's still respectable, and its still a challenger, and TBH: Only car guys would know the difference.

Last edited by JBChallenger; 05-28-2012 at 12:15 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM

^^^ Good post JBChallenger. I'm in a similar boat as the OP.

I'm pretty much down to either the SXT Rallye Redline with all of it's nice suspension / brake / interior upgrades and nice 20" wheels or a pretty basic R/T. But there's not much bottom line price difference between these two.

Loaded V6 or basic V8. Hmm...

Part of me says the V6 will save me a little gas money and insurance money and look damn good doing it. It is a very well equipped ride, and with most of my time spent in traffic, it's not like I can really use the extra power of the R/T.

But part of me says the sound & feel of the V8 are hard to put a price on.

**Any real-world experience with about how much better the V6's fuel economy is? I have a hard time believing these two cars are as close as 19 and 21 mpg average.

Thanks guys.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Kid View Post
^^^ Good post JBChallenger. I'm in a similar boat as the OP.

I'm pretty much down to either the SXT Rallye Redline with all of it's nice suspension / brake / interior upgrades and nice 20" wheels or a pretty basic R/T. But there's not much bottom line price difference between these two.

Loaded V6 or basic V8. Hmm...

Part of me says the V6 will save me a little gas money and insurance money and look damn good doing it. It is a very well equipped ride, and with most of my time spent in traffic, it's not like I can really use the extra power of the R/T.

But part of me says the sound & feel of the V8 are hard to put a price on.

**Any real-world experience with about how much better the V6's fuel economy is? I have a hard time believing these two cars are as close as 19 and 21 mpg average.

Thanks guys.

I haven't had it long enough to get real world #'s. I know a lot of the guys on here don't really care that much about MPGs, so you may not get a lot of response for real #'s. I'm one of the few who likes to actually write down mileage and do the hard #'s. (I have mileage records still from my past 2 vehicles LOL)

The window stickers are :16/25 and 18/27. The way they figure those combined stats are 60% city / 40% hwy.

Also, how long do you plan to keep it? are you going to keep yours til it's a classic? I plan on keeping mine that long, so, the v8 will probably be more sought after at that point.

It's a tough decision. As for fast... i think the saying is "faster is never fast enough" or something a long those lines. I also can say the size of the grin on my face is directly proportional to the power under my foot

I would myself budget your car expenses, come up with a hard # on that, call your insurance company get quotes on your actual policy based on VIN # 's of a SXT equipped how you would get and an R/T (If you've not already)

If you know your avg driving mileage factor that in.

Factor your payment.

Go to the dealer tell him you're "almost ready to afford it" and trying to make the decision, and that you're "just a little short" and see if they'll eat a grand or two off something, especially if you favor the more expensive variant. They love to up sell you, for sure, but you have to pretend and keep your cool that you only got what you got, and you can wait, and see what they say. It's the end of the month.... how I got great deals on my last 2 vehicles. I also did a lot of negotiating on the phone, and i had pen and paper and calculator out doing the #'s as we talked about it.
Every time they went above what I wanted i stuck to my guns, well i guess you don't have a vehicle with the options i want and I can afford today. I'll have to wait to get paid to come up with another 500 $. (And then call another dealer see what they say)

I just said "I'm almost ready to buy, I think i'm a grand or two short of where I need to be, but trying to pick out all my options so I can just walk in and buy it" They took that hook line and sinker and it works every time if you can hold steady to that original # and you're willing to wait for the dealer who'll bite. You just have to take control of the sale.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Good shopping advice JBC. Luckily, I have a good Dodge sales guy who has sold my family three cars in ten years. I know he'll do under invoice minus incentives, so that's good.

I'm really surprised at how close the mpg numbers are. Almost a non-issue.

I only drive about 10k miles annually. Higher mileage drivers do better with fuel saving cars. Lower mileage drivers don't have to weigh mpg's so heavily.

I guess it's safe to assume the '12's will start becoming more scarce in the next two months or so. Then '13's will start to arrive, but Dodge won't have $1500 back or 0% APR offers on '13's for a while I would think. So that makes a '12 look a little better too.

I'm paying a credit card off, and getting very close (another month). I didn't really want to test drive until I was ready to buy. I fear I'd fall in love and do something crazy.

So I was planning on buying after August. But maybe sooner is better, considering the incentives on 2012 Challengers over the summer.

Am I correct in thinking the Rallye V6 has more suspension / brake upgrades than the R/T? Or is all of that SS/T package stuff on the SXT & Rallye models standard on the R/T?

If the Rallye gets better chassis / brakes than the R/T, that just makes it more difficult.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 AM

just got the sxt plus week today love it not looking to drag race,or getting speeding tickets and i got a challenger it has 20" chrome wheels the 26g package with the ss/t,sound group 2, sunroof and media center 430 n and best of all black on black
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff1062 For This Useful Post:
NFD3L (04-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode